Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3731 posts
1526 upvotes
Woodbridge

AMEX purchase protection when AMEX not accepted

Is there any way to take advantage of purchase protection and extended warranty offered by a CC if that CC is not accepted by the merchant? Like some way to use an AMEX and purchase a prepaid VISA for example and use that prepaid VISA to make the purchase. Would they ever honor something like that?
9 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3696 upvotes
jvnanu wrote: Is there any way to take advantage of purchase protection and extended warranty offered by a CC if that CC is not accepted by the merchant? Like some way to use an AMEX and purchase a prepaid VISA for example and use that prepaid VISA to make the purchase. Would they ever honor something like that?
No. Get a MC.
Dec 15, 2012
38 posts
7 upvotes
You really should read the insurance document you got with your card. It will not only answer your question but will also tell you all the exclusions and limitations of the purchase protection and extended warranty services. For example, it is not unusual for a refurbished or a 'display model' item to be excluded from coverage.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2011
3586 posts
1993 upvotes
Whitehorse
no. forget about that.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3725 posts
479 upvotes
MONTR
ever try paying your passport in cash? they do not accept even though the notes say legal tender. go figure.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
3352 posts
2339 upvotes
Langley
orangefall wrote: You really should read the insurance document you got with your card. It will not only answer your question but will also tell you all the exclusions and limitations of the purchase protection and extended warranty services. For example, it is not unusual for a refurbished or a 'display model' item to be excluded from coverage.
Most people do not read this information. Yes, it is valuable, but there is also lot information read. Most people just throw it out.

What's the point of having a forum when people can't ask questions?
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
jellytime wrote: Most people do not read this information. Yes, it is valuable, but there is also lot information read. Most people just throw it out.

What's the point of having a forum when people can't ask questions?
Well, because someone will have to read it in order to reply. I always read the terms and conditions - and I know that Amex Insurance is provided by RBC - and that the additional one year warranty is limited to the same coverage as the one year warranty offered by the manufacturer. And it is not much. It is better to read first and then ask. No one minds answering a question when someone has made effort and perhaps it unsure or just wants clarification. And I can assure you that no company is going to care that someone on RFD (or any other Internet forum) told them that they were "right". The number of times I have been going through security at the airport and heard people say "but ...so and so ....on a forum" told me it would be okay.