Credit Cards

AMEX Rewards - Never Enrolled into Points Program - Any recourse

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 10th, 2019 6:22 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Member
Jan 18, 2011
354 posts
135 upvotes
Toronto

AMEX Rewards - Never Enrolled into Points Program - Any recourse

Hi there,

Per the title - I've had a corporate amex card for the last 5 years with my company (corporate green card).
When it was first setup it was ambiguous as to whether I would personally receive the rewards or they would get funneled back to the company.
The long and the short of it, we've now closed down our AMEX cards and I received a note from finance saying that I could feel free to contact AMEX to redeem my rewards.

I called AMEX and they said they never enrolled me into the program and that it would have been required to verbally tell them that I wanted in on it.

I checked the scan of my application and there was no option on my personal application to opt in.

The CFO at the time of pushing things through is no longer with the company.

The AMEX rep said that they have no record of us enrolling.

My question to RFP is, do you think there is any recourse here to go back to AMEX and get points?
I have no way of verifying minus reaching out to my previous CFO, and then it would be his word vs. theirs.
The card racked up probably 75k or so over the years :/
(somebody care to tell me what I would have stood to gain?)
4 replies
Sr. Member
Jan 8, 2009
762 posts
841 upvotes
Yes, hire a lawyer and sue your employer and Amex.
Member
Aug 17, 2006
396 posts
339 upvotes
SumoMan wrote: Hi there,

Per the title - I've had a corporate amex card for the last 5 years with my company (corporate green card).
When it was first setup it was ambiguous as to whether I would personally receive the rewards or they would get funneled back to the company.
The long and the short of it, we've now closed down our AMEX cards and I received a note from finance saying that I could feel free to contact AMEX to redeem my rewards.

I called AMEX and they said they never enrolled me into the program and that it would have been required to verbally tell them that I wanted in on it.

I checked the scan of my application and there was no option on my personal application to opt in.

The CFO at the time of pushing things through is no longer with the company.

The AMEX rep said that they have no record of us enrolling.

My question to RFP is, do you think there is any recourse here to go back to AMEX and get points?
I have no way of verifying minus reaching out to my previous CFO, and then it would be his word vs. theirs.
The card racked up probably 75k or so over the years :/
(somebody care to tell me what I would have stood to gain?)
Just move on...it's a company benefit and if you got it great, if not not worth it IMHO. Even assuming you get 1-5% return @ $75k (depends on cashback or MR points) you looking at $750 to 3750 MAX worth and that's assuming you use MR points for flight redemption on business. But likely closer to the lower end and you really have no legs to stand on to get points considering it's a company issued card.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 20, 2017
945 posts
1112 upvotes
jammin825 wrote: Just move on...it's a company benefit and if you got it great, if not not worth it IMHO. Even assuming you get 1-5% return @ $75k (depends on cashback or MR points) you looking at $750 to 3750 MAX worth and that's assuming you use MR points for flight redemption on business. But likely closer to the lower end and you really have no legs to stand on to get points considering it's a company issued card.
Minus the annual fee to enroll in the membership rewards program for 5 years. (Was at least $50+ for the green card iirc)

I had the card too. Called and asked, my company forbid me from enrolling in it.

And no you have no recourse. It's a paid membership you never paid for.
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 8, 2009
14594 posts
12623 upvotes
Going to the Moon
PTMBAA wrote: Yes, hire a lawyer and sue your employer and Amex.
Image
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]

Top