• Jul 27th, 2021 12:41 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2821 posts
2533 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
Quick question. Has anyone successfully received an annual fee reduction, waiver, or cashback bonus for the preferred card? I'm up for renewal for the first time and it would be nice to get some sort of bonus if possible. I was considering calling customer service to try and get a 50 dollar cash back bonus like when I first got the card.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
8536 posts
4445 upvotes
jacnel wrote: Quick question. Has anyone successfully received an annual fee reduction, waiver, or cashback bonus for the preferred card? I'm up for renewal for the first time and it would be nice to get some sort of bonus if possible. I was considering calling customer service to try and get a 50 dollar cash back bonus like when I first got the card.
I would never have even thought this possible with Amex. Let us know how you make out.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2821 posts
2533 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
choclover wrote: I would never have even thought this possible with Amex. Let us know how you make out.
I heard in other threads that because of covid some people were able to call in and have their fee reduced because they weren't able to use all the benefits. I'll see what happens!
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2007
1464 posts
1702 upvotes
I'd say that would be less likely for SimplyCash, since it's not a travel card so can't play that avenue. Never know though!
🏦 Banking: Alterna Bank (1%, No fees), Motive Financial (1.25%, No fees)
📈 Investing: Scotia iTRADE (XGRO, No fees)
💳 Spending: Scotia Amex Gold (5pts dine/3pts drive, forex), Amex SCP (2%, rest), Brim Mastercard (1%, non-Amex spend)
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2821 posts
2533 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
joshnet wrote: I'd say that would be less likely for SimplyCash, since it's not a travel card so can't play that avenue. Never know though!
Yes that's what I was thinking as well.

Well it can't hurt to try.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2821 posts
2533 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
An update to my question. So I called AMEX today to see if I could get an annual fee waiver on my card. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a discount.

At the end of the day it's no big deal, I did a calculation based on my spending (living with my parents again has been great since I've been putting all our spend on my card :twisted:) and when including the annual fee I still come out ahead with this card. For now I'll keep it and the next time I have to renew, I'll see if it's worth it.

Also, AMEX has hands down the best customer service on the market. The people I got to help me were absolutely pleasant to work with and explained everything very well. I didn't feel pressured at all to keep the card. If anything, customer service is one of the many reasons to keep an AMEX card.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
8536 posts
4445 upvotes
jacnel wrote: An update to my question. So I called AMEX today to see if I could get an annual fee waiver on my card. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a discount.

At the end of the day it's no big deal, I did a calculation based on my spending (living with my parents again has been great since I've been putting all our spend on my card :twisted:) and when including the annual fee I still come out ahead with this card. For now I'll keep it and the next time I have to renew, I'll see if it's worth it.

Also, AMEX has hands down the best customer service on the market. The people I got to help me were absolutely pleasant to work with and explained everything very well. I didn't feel pressured at all to keep the card. If anything, customer service is one of the many reasons to keep an AMEX card.
Thanks for reporting back. This is my first few months into the card and since giving up the MBNA World Elite mastercard which I used to pay $89/year for to the 2% cash back and other benefits, I am happy to pay the $99/year if this card can be used for the big ticket items that I was able to use my MBNA for. I will have a better idea come the summer when I understand I should cancel after getting my annual statement credit although someone posted on here that you can redeem your points before then so perhaps I can keep the card and decide just before my one year anniversary. The goal is to get credit for all points earned and not have any uncashed at the time of cancelling the card.

I was using the Rogers World Elite card until now but the Amex offers might be enough to convince me to stay if I get to cash in on some. Hasn't happened yet, though.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2821 posts
2533 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
choclover wrote: Thanks for reporting back. This is my first few months into the card and since giving up the MBNA World Elite mastercard which I used to pay $89/year for to the 2% cash back and other benefits, I am happy to pay the $99/year if this card can be used for the big ticket items that I was able to use my MBNA for. I will have a better idea come the summer when I understand I should cancel after getting my annual statement credit although someone posted on here that you can redeem your points before then so perhaps I can keep the card and decide just before my one year anniversary. The goal is to get credit for all points earned and not have any uncashed at the time of cancelling the card.

I was using the Rogers World Elite card until now but the Amex offers might be enough to convince me to stay if I get to cash in on some. Hasn't happened yet, though.
You can also downgrade to the basic no fee card and still keep your cashback. That's what they said to me on the phone.
May 29, 2019
92 posts
72 upvotes
After almost 13 months with this card I am about to pay my first annual fee ($99 - preferred). I joined Amex in November 2019 for the Gold Card (since cancelled) to get their 25,000 point bonus, but am more of a cash-back guy. Four months later I got this card and am very happy with it. I applied through Great Canadian Rebates and received a $100 rebate, effectively making this card FYF (first year free - technically +$1). I started with the 6 months of 5% back promo and matched up perfectly to end in mid-September when the annual cash-back pay out occurred. I was still using the Gold Card for Gas/Groceries at this point as well but still made $127 back in my first 6 month/promo period. Since then at the regular 2% and in the interim 6 months I have made $109 back, with it becoming my card for everything unless the business doesn't take Amex (my dentist, a local restaurant I frequent, and Loblaw's seem to be basically it). I expect that by September I'll be around ~$200-$250 in cash back amassed, more than double the annual fee. Technically I could maybe get more back elsewhere, but I love that there are no categories (my biggest gripe about my Tangerine MC). Then there are the credits/offers - the small business one was great in the summer, and I recently and very quickly got a $10 credit simply for having $200 of my purchases through Apple Pay. Not to mention the other random credits I've gotten, like $5 on Amazon around Christmas that comes to mind. Further, the App is top notch and I love that I get notifcations everytime I buy something, Apple Pay or not.

I've tried to convince others of this card however most are skeptical because it's Amex - I can't explain to my friends that 90% of the time it is not an issue if you insert the card, and the other 10% of the time it's not accepted, you'll have a Visa or MC anyways.
Apr 11, 2021
1 posts
b33zlebub wrote: I was denied a downgrade to SC in March. CS said I needed to apply. Did this shortly after Covid-19 since I wasn't using the SCP anymore...everything shutdown. Today I called to cancel my SCP as the annual fee would be charged in 4 weeks and CS offered to downgrade the SCP to SC to let me keep the accumulated cashback. Did this, merged my SC credit limit and cancelled my new unused SC.

I told her CS wouldn't let me downgrade 4 months ago. She said it's normally correct but if anyone is "close" to having the annual fee charged again, a downgrade option may appear. It showed up for my account.
Of course, YMMV. ;)
May I ask whether the downgrade offer automatically shows up in the account, or I have to call the CS to get the downgrade offer, or I need to do other stuffs to apply for a downgrade?
Many thanks in advance!
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
15822 posts
4566 upvotes
Scarberia
Is there a good sub for the simply preferred cash cc now? My next cc!
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
3833 posts
1288 upvotes
Ontario
Just got approved for SCP with $100 from GCR.

With Amex, is it possible to make an extra payment to have a credit balance in order to make a purchase higher than one's credit limit?

Credit limit is a little low for me.
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay
Bank: Alterna (1%, no fees)
Brokers: IB (For. stocks/low comm)/Reg. RBCDI(service, USD)
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
11510 posts
14270 upvotes
Vancouver
JamesW84831 wrote: the business doesn't take Amex (my dentist, a local restaurant I frequent, and Loblaw's seem to be basically it).
You can buy PC e-gift cards with Amex at cardswap.ca. Get 2% on your Amex SC, and an additional 1% in cardswap credit that you can eventually cash in for more e-gift cards. 3% at Loblaws this way can't be beat unless you go for the PCF WE card (requires $80k+ income and $15k/year spend to keep the card) or get another Visa card with a $120 annual fee.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
8378 posts
9037 upvotes
The Prairies
minimalist wrote: Just got approved for SCP with $100 from GCR.

With Amex, is it possible to make an extra payment to have a credit balance in order to make a purchase higher than one's credit limit?

Amex frowns upon over paying your card, and you’ll likely get your card locked if you do it, trust me.
Another Amex hostile move, I found that out quick.
And while calling them, they literally told me they prefer ones’s monthly spend not to ever exceed their credit limit, or they risk their card being blocked!
No joke!
So if you have a 1k limit, spend $500, pay it off, spend another $500, pay it off and spend another $500 all within the same billing period, you are at risk of having your card blocked!
Pathetic eh?
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
3833 posts
1288 upvotes
Ontario
Kiraly wrote: You can buy PC e-gift cards with Amex at cardswap.ca. Get 2% on your Amex SC, and an additional 1% in cardswap credit that you can eventually cash in for more e-gift cards. 3% at Loblaws this way can't be beat unless you go for the PCF WE card (requires $80k+ income and $15k/year spend to keep the card) or get another Visa card with a $120 annual fee.
or Ebates/Rakuten Gift Cards via Paypal
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay
Bank: Alterna (1%, no fees)
Brokers: IB (For. stocks/low comm)/Reg. RBCDI(service, USD)
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
11510 posts
14270 upvotes
Vancouver
minimalist wrote: Just got approved for SCP with $100 from GCR.

Is that a typo? $100???
Aug 30, 2020
49 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Kiraly wrote: Is that a typo? $100???
Nope! Just did an application on Saturday for the SCP and got that same amount.
Last edited by CarterC020424 on Apr 15th, 2021 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2017
1037 posts
559 upvotes
coolintheshade wrote: Amex frowns upon over paying your card, and you’ll likely get your card locked if you do it, trust me.
Another Amex hostile move, I found that out quick.
And while calling them, they literally told me they prefer ones’s monthly spend not to ever exceed their credit limit, or they risk their card being blocked!
No joke!
So if you have a 1k limit, spend $500, pay it off, spend another $500, pay it off and spend another $500 all within the same billing period, you are at risk of having your card blocked!
Pathetic eh?
I pay over the limit all the time. Never had a problem.