• Last Updated:
  • Nov 19th, 2020 10:55 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
1438 posts
790 upvotes
I got this card in November, and was gonna cancel it because it only had a 1k credit line.

I called in and asked if they could move some of my Essential CL over to the preferred.
I've had it through 2 billing cycles and I'm getting pretty close to the maxing out the 5% promo

Put a few plane tickets on it , as the travel insurance is pretty decent
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2018
1911 posts
1004 upvotes
UnionJon wrote: Got the SCP about a year ago, and the annual fee is coming up on March. Called and inquired about downgrading to the no-fee SC one, and was told I need an offer from "the marketing department".

The agent also said if I were to apply for the SC, the cash back credits would not be carried over, and I lose all of it when I cancel the SCP.

Does anyone know if that's true, or are they just messing about with me? Would it be a different story to call again, or at a later time closer to account anniversary?

Any input would be much appreciated! :)
Also consider how you use the card, not saying you do, but in my case Vet Visits or Pet Shopping Stores or whatever else, I easily re earn that 99 a year fee though I have it covered by other means. Seems to pay out well unless you have a rogers card that pays 1.5-1.75 or something no fee which pays for itself.

Otherwise no idea, but I thought downgrading was normal? Ask through the chat and see what your options are
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2012
7864 posts
2140 upvotes
multi city dweller
UnionJon wrote: Got the SCP about a year ago, and the annual fee is coming up on March. Called and inquired about downgrading to the no-fee SC one, and was told I need an offer from "the marketing department".

The agent also said if I were to apply for the SC, the cash back credits would not be carried over, and I lose all of it when I cancel the SCP.

Does anyone know if that's true, or are they just messing about with me? Would it be a different story to call again, or at a later time closer to account anniversary?

Any input would be much appreciated! :)
the amex rep was right ... afaik, amex do not allow d/g ... they do allow u/g but only as part of targeted offer ... however, it is usually not a good idea to accept the offer ...

how much pending cashback do you have on yr scp now? you will loose the pending cashback if you cancel in march ...

you can always apply for a new simplycash ...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
9281 posts
10819 upvotes
Vancouver
VH99 wrote: the amex rep was right ... afaik, amex do not allow d/g ... they do allow u/g but only as part of targeted offer ... however, it is usually not a good idea to accept the offer ...
If you were offered a free upgrade promo from no-fee SC to SC Preferred (they offered this to me FYF, which I took), they will allow you to downgrade it back later. They did for me, at least.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2018
1277 posts
1026 upvotes
DP: applied for the card on the 10th, received it 22, was successful in getting an increase today (29th), 7 days after activation. was only given 1k initial limit, tried to do 5k but only gave me 3k (hard max of 3x).
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
6117 posts
5317 upvotes
terracotta92 wrote: DP: applied for the card on the 10th, received it 22, was successful in getting an increase today (29th), 7 days after activation. was only given 1k initial limit, tried to do 5k but only gave me 3k (hard max of 3x).
Did you do the increase via phone or online portal?
Feb 10, 2018
992 posts
644 upvotes
Loved the card so far. The only downside is the payout is in November and I have to use my Rogers WE to pay utilities with PayTM to avoid 3% fee on Plastiq + PayTM.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2012
7864 posts
2140 upvotes
multi city dweller
EDL67134234 wrote: Loved the card so far. The only downside is the payout is in November and I have to use my Rogers WE to pay utilities with PayTM to avoid 3% fee on Plastiq + PayTM.
i thought payout is september?
Feb 10, 2018
992 posts
644 upvotes
VH99 wrote: i thought payout is september?
You are right. I got it mixed up with Scotia Momentum VI.:)
Jun 18, 2017
56 posts
11 upvotes
Techiedude wrote: Also consider how you use the card, not saying you do, but in my case Vet Visits or Pet Shopping Stores or whatever else, I easily re earn that 99 a year fee though I have it covered by other means. Seems to pay out well unless you have a rogers card that pays 1.5-1.75 or something no fee which pays for itself.

Otherwise no idea, but I thought downgrading was normal? Ask through the chat and see what your options are
Thanks. I do have the Rogers WEMC, which has 1.75% cash back on everything... I got this after I got the Amex, so that's why I am thinking of downgrading...
I do think downgrading was entirely normal too, but their reps just wouldn't let me for some reason... They said they don't see the offer... Since when do I need an offer to downgrade?!?!
Wasn't able to find the Chat option on the Amex website though... Is this feature even available for the Canadian site? :O
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2018
1911 posts
1004 upvotes
UnionJon wrote: Thanks. I do have the Rogers WEMC, which has 1.75% cash back on everything... I got this after I got the Amex, so that's why I am thinking of downgrading...
I do think downgrading was entirely normal too, but their reps just wouldn't let me for some reason... They said they don't see the offer... Since when do I need an offer to downgrade?!?!
Wasn't able to find the Chat option on the Amex website though... Is this feature even available for the Canadian site? :O
Login, bottom right hand corner, floating blue chat bubble

Only available during certain times though
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
6117 posts
5317 upvotes
Techiedude wrote: Login, bottom right hand corner, floating blue chat bubble

Only available during certain times though
And various browser extension can prevent it from showing up.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2018
1911 posts
1004 upvotes
Gtaphotog wrote: And various browser extension can prevent it from showing up.
Works on safari, edge, Firefox chrome on win 10 and max OS X but I run no extensions other than my anti malware and anti virus stuff
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4302 posts
1328 upvotes
Moncton
I need a replacement for the removal of the damage waiver benefit on rental cars. Any other free cards offer that?
Toronto is a very small part of Canada