Credit Cards

Amex - The SimplyCash Card

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 19th, 2020 10:55 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2008
6005 posts
2274 upvotes
Toronto
bluebellrose wrote: you need a mc for places that don't take visa

lol at min 3 to cover all bases all 3 card brands .
I only have Visa for the last 3 months and I have yet to miss out on anything.

In terms of groceries, off the top of my head Sobeys, Walmart, Superstore and some ethnic stores take Visa [in Toronto]. According to my extensive research, all places accept this strange thing called cash. Why complicate your life over a few points for the odd place that doesn't take Visa or mastercard or whatever?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
305 upvotes
Toronto
Metro also accepts Amex.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2009
1370 posts
381 upvotes
I think I'll pass... stick with my CapOne World Mastercard @ 1.5% on everything with no fee and TrueEarnings Costco Amex with 3% restaurants, 2% gas, 1% everything else(obviously use the CapOne everywhere else).
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 10, 2008
5530 posts
4452 upvotes
brunes wrote: Apply for the SimplyCash first, then when approved call to cancel the Air Miles and ask them to transfer your limit from the Air Miles to the SimplyCash. The limits will be combined.
Some may be unable to do so, if for example they already have the Air Miles and one other CREDIT card (SPG, Costco, Holt Renfrew, Blue Sky, BB-FS). Amex only lets you carry two CC products concurrently....even carrying the Regular and Platinum versions of their Air Miles card is considered as TWO, and thus capping you at their limit. What will likely happen though is if you apply for the SimplyCash, and it'd be your 3rd CC, then you'll get a call from Amex and ask you to cancel one of your existing cards...you can get them to transfer your limit from the cancelled card at that point. Same diff, in the end.

I'd still like to get assurance from Amex that there won't be a pull from my credit file, before I open a new SimplyCash card, due to them forcing me to cancel my already existing Costco card...why should I take another hit to open a new card when I'll be using it to replace my Costco card, which Amex are soon going to be forcing me to close? I've already paid the 'price' when I had applied for the Costco card?

C'mon Amex...I know you're reading this, please find a way to let those of us in this situation to convert our existing Costco cards.
PartnerSolutions wrote: Any sign-up bonuses?
Just the 5% for 6 months on gas, groceries and (*belch*) restaurants. Capped at $250 on this 5% elevated rebate level...in other words, up to $5000 on above categories. No mention of monthly caps, like the watered-down MBNA SmartCash.
D-Roc wrote: Metro also accepts Amex.
In the GTA, grocery stores: Metro, Sobeys, Longo's, Rabbas, Whole Foods...others?
While not in the grocers category, but still selling food items: Shoppers, Rexalls, Walmart and (for now) Costco
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
305 upvotes
Toronto
bizee-bee wrote: Some may be unable to do so, if for example they already have the Air Miles and one other CREDIT card (SPG, Costco, Holt Renfrew, Blue Sky, BB-FS). Amex only lets you carry two CC products concurrently....even carrying the Regular and Platinum versions of their Air Miles card is considered as TWO, and thus capping you at their limit. What will likely happen though is if you apply for the SimplyCash, and it'd be your 3rd CC, then you'll get a call from Amex and ask you to cancel one of your existing cards...you can get them to transfer your limit from the cancelled card at that point. Same diff, in the end.

I'd still like to get assurance from Amex that there won't be a pull from my credit file, before I open a new SimplyCash card, due to them forcing me to cancel my already existing Costco card...why should I take another hit to open a new card when I'll be using it to replace my Costco card, which Amex are soon going to be forcing me to close? I've already paid the 'price' when I had applied for the Costco card?

C'mon Amex...I know you're reading this, please find a way to let those of us in this situation to convert our existing Costco cards.


Just the 5% for 6 months on gas, groceries and (*belch*) restaurants. Capped at $250 on this 5% elevated rebate level...in other words, up to $5000 on above categories. No mention of monthly caps, like the watered-down MBNA SmartCash.


In the GTA, grocery stores: Metro, Sobeys, Longo's, Rabbas, Whole Foods...others?
While not in the grocers category, but still selling food items: Shoppers, Rexalls, Walmart and (for now) Costco


Those who are saying you will be forced to cancel and re-apply for the Simply Cash card, I suspect, are very wrong. Amex has converted cards to new products when discontinuing cards in the past. I am confident this will be the same.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 11, 2005
19211 posts
1700 upvotes
ksgill wrote: I only have Visa for the last 3 months and I have yet to miss out on anything.
The only store I know of that takes MC but doesn't take visa is NoFrills.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2005
2032 posts
332 upvotes
basketball wrote: bit off subject...does anyone know how to apply for TrueEarnings Costco Amex now? I can't seem to do it online anywhere for Canadian version.
Perhaps you missed the big thread. Amex and Costco are no longer partners for that card or so it seems. That card is gone and is replaced by this cash version. I hope this answers your question.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 10, 2008
5530 posts
4452 upvotes
D-Roc wrote: Those who are saying you will be forced to cancel and re-apply for the Simply Cash card, I suspect, are very wrong. Amex has converted cards to new products when discontinuing cards in the past. I am confident this will be the same.
I hope (and trust) your 'suspicions' are correct. My feet are getting cramps from crossing my toes, awaiting for Amex's announcement.

I will be more than happy to convert my existing Costco card to the SimplyCash card, even though it's not as "SUPERIOR" and "AMAZING" as <insert your favourite blah-blah-blah card here>.
Sr. Member
May 17, 2010
555 posts
43 upvotes
ksgill wrote: I have been looking for a free card with purchase protection and rental loss/collision insurance. Applied for the no annual fee card today, looking forward to it in the mail. The approval message said that the package will arrive in "few weeks". Did any one else get that message?
I got the same. Wonder if its a standard msg or will rly take a "few weeks"...
Newbie
Jan 7, 2012
82 posts
18 upvotes
WINNIPEG, Canada
I was just told that they wouldn't switch my gold cash card (which has already been discontinued) to the new one. I'd either have to apply for the SimplyCash like it was a new application, or cancel my existing card, and then apply new.

That's very disappointing, considering they are both cash cards and quite similar products.

I may just cancel my existing one and be done with it. Where is this great customer service everyone talks about???
[OP]
Moderator
User avatar
Mar 23, 2004
42088 posts
8154 upvotes
Markham
winterpegman wrote: I was just told that they wouldn't switch my gold cash card (which has already been discontinued) to the new one. I'd either have to apply for the SimplyCash like it was a new application, or cancel my existing card, and then apply new.
as I have mentioned, amex does not allow you to convert cards...and i agree, very bad/sad indeed.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 7, 2004
5538 posts
1932 upvotes
GTEH!
brunes wrote: Apply for the SimplyCash first, then when approved call to cancel the Air Miles and ask them to transfer your limit from the Air Miles to the SimplyCash. The limits will be combined.
Thanks. Good idea.
I also have the Costco TrueEarnings card. I moved the CL from my cancelled AM Plat. card to the TrueEarnings card.
The funny thing was the CSR said I had to leave 1K CL on the cancelled AM card (??) I asked why would I leave 1K CL on a cancelled closed account? CSR said that's the rules (really BS) I said whatever.

I'm planning to get rid of my AMEX cards anyways. I only use AMEX for Costco.

If Costco does start to accept M/C(fingers-crossed), I've got my RWE card ready
😎
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 7, 2004
5538 posts
1932 upvotes
GTEH!
bizee-bee wrote: Some may be unable to do so, if for example they already have the Air Miles and one other CREDIT card (SPG, Costco, Holt Renfrew, Blue Sky, BB-FS). Amex only lets you carry two CC products concurrently....even carrying the Regular and Platinum versions of their Air Miles card is considered as TWO, and thus capping you at their limit. What will likely happen though is if you apply for the SimplyCash, and it'd be your 3rd CC, then you'll get a call from Amex and ask you to cancel one of your existing cards...you can get them to transfer your limit from the cancelled card at that point. Same diff, in the end.

I'd still like to get assurance from Amex that there won't be a pull from my credit file, before I open a new SimplyCash card, due to them forcing me to cancel my already existing Costco card...why should I take another hit to open a new card when I'll be using it to replace my Costco card, which Amex are soon going to be forcing me to close? I've already paid the 'price' when I had applied for the Costco card?

C'mon Amex...I know you're reading this, please find a way to let those of us in this situation to convert our existing Costco cards.


Just the 5% for 6 months on gas, groceries and (*belch*) restaurants. Capped at $250 on this 5% elevated rebate level...in other words, up to $5000 on above categories. No mention of monthly caps, like the watered-down MBNA SmartCash.


In the GTA, grocery stores: Metro, Sobeys, Longo's, Rabbas, Whole Foods...others?
While not in the grocers category, but still selling food items: Shoppers, Rexalls, Walmart and (for now) Costco
If AMEX doesn't convert the TrueEarnings card to the SimplyCAsh card, no big deal for me.
I'll just wait for my rewards 1st at year-end (January) before cancelling it.
😎

Top