• Oct 7th, 2020 12:28 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
3998 posts
2383 upvotes
on the links
brunes wrote: The only store I know of that takes MC but doesn't take visa is NoFrills.
YMMV. The noFrills that I frequent take both MC and VS
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2014
2470 posts
1162 upvotes
Cellphone Tower
I will stick with my Capital One Aspire. Don't see a true benefit with Amex especially with the one where you have to pay $80 bucks plus 5% is only for the first 6 months.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2003
5631 posts
1169 upvotes
Toronto
I think people will more likely to recommend this card to friends/family if they offer referral bonus like other AMEX card. We did point this out to the AMEX rep at the launch event, and I hope they will consider this idea in the future.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
7998 posts
1108 upvotes
TO
I had a similar card when I lived in US back in 2000, even same card design color etc. can't remember the bonus and card features I think it was 2% on everything no fees.
Achieva Financial /KOHO / STACK (0% FX Fee) /Tangerine / EQ Bank member / I use Plastiq for paying bills with my CC

"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
5059 posts
2683 upvotes
Does gas purchase at Costco also qualify for 5% in the first 6 months? If you are executive member of Costco, does it mean you get 5% from Amex, 2% from Costco and $0.05 off ? it's like triple dipping?
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
24761 posts
3055 upvotes
Montreal
Sauerkraut wrote: YMMV. The noFrills that I frequent take both MC and VS
Why would anyone take only MC? MC has a higher interchange fee than visa.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2008
5996 posts
2254 upvotes
Toronto
mr_raider wrote: Why would anyone take only MC? MC has a higher interchange fee than visa.
The grocery stores in question have their own brand of mastercard and most likely get preferential rates on transactions i.e. they don't pay the same interchange rates as other merchants.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
305 upvotes
Toronto
mkl38s wrote: Does gas purchase at Costco also qualify for 5% in the first 6 months? If you are executive member of Costco, does it mean you get 5% from Amex, 2% from Costco and $0.05 off ? it's like triple dipping?
No it would not qualify for the no fee card as the gas station would have to be a stand alone gas station.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
44329 posts
4924 upvotes
Richmond Hill
D-Roc wrote: No it would not qualify for the no fee card as the gas station would have to be a stand alone gas station.
I take it that means the Costco gas station's use the same merchant code as the retailer? Bummer.
Artisan woodworker crafting live edge tables, end grain cutting boards, and other home decor
Silver Coins | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio | Heatware
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4313 posts
1841 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: I take it that means the Costco gas station's use the same merchant code as the retailer? Bummer.
I use my Scotia Amex at Costco gas stations and have always gotten 4% cashback (as a gas station). I can't imagine it being different with this card because they are both Amex.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
6437 posts
4936 upvotes
I applied to the RemiseSimple card with no annual fees and was conditionally approved supposing a verification of my data. This is the same thing as when I applied for my Amex Gold Rewards earlier this year, I'm almost 100 % sure this is because I was among the victims of the People's Trust breach. This is just a small formality.

I thought I had applied to way too many credit cards this year, but then I realized nearly all of them triggered Equifax hits, and Amex uses Transunion. I tried my luck and it worked.

When I get my TrueEarnings cheque I will ask to transfer the limit of the TrueEarnings to the RemiseSimple/Simplycash, and then cancel the TrueEarnings.

I don't care about applying to many cards a year these times around because I know I will never get a mortgage or car loan for at least five years, and as such it's better if the applications were made early and the cards have a older, longer, and more solid history.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4121 posts
742 upvotes
Richmond
mr_raider wrote: Why would anyone take only MC? MC has a higher interchange fee than visa.
if you mostly deal in less than $10 transactions, mc is cheaper than visa as paypass only costs the merchant five to seven cents per transaction.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
24761 posts
3055 upvotes
Montreal
bluebellrose wrote: if you mostly deal in less than $10 transactions, mc is cheaper than visa as paypass only costs the merchant five to seven cents per transaction.
Visa has paywave.
Feb 11, 2012
136 posts
19 upvotes
Poutinesauce wrote: I applied to the RemiseSimple card with no annual fees and was conditionally approved supposing a verification of my data. This is the same thing as when I applied for my Amex Gold Rewards earlier this year, I'm almost 100 % sure this is because I was among the victims of the People's Trust breach. This is just a small formality.

I thought I had applied to way too many credit cards this year, but then I realized nearly all of them triggered Equifax hits, and Amex uses Transunion. I tried my luck and it worked.

When I get my TrueEarnings cheque I will ask to transfer the limit of the TrueEarnings to the RemiseSimple/Simplycash, and then cancel the TrueEarnings.

I don't care about applying to many cards a year these times around because I know I will never get a mortgage or car loan for at least five years, and as such it's better if the applications were made early and the cards have a older, longer, and more solid history.
You can apply for SimplyCash card without a hard credit inquiry, talked to AMEX rep to convert my blue sky and he said if I have True Earnings card their credit department will review my file as a current customer and without checking my credit report issue a new card.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
6437 posts
4936 upvotes
mark121 wrote: You can apply for SimplyCash card without a hard credit inquiry, talked to AMEX rep to convert my blue sky and he said if I have True Earnings card their credit department will review my file as a current customer and without checking my credit report issue a new card.
When I asked a rep some 2-3 days ago they said they didn't have information as to whether they could do that yet, so I decided to just go ahead with it. I don't really care at this point... I have many cards now, I see that removing the TrueEarnings reduces my average age of accounts by not even 2 months.

Nice for bizee-bee and those who wondered about it though.

Now to buy tons of gift cards with it to exploit this. When I had the Scotia Amex Gold I bought gift cards at Couche-Tard (Mac's in Ontario), they are the best to do this with since they mostly will just process your purchases without fuss, and I live right in front of one.

When I went to Petro-Canada they said they had to do a credit check before they would allow me to pay with a credit card for gift cards.