• Oct 7th, 2020 12:28 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
5437 posts
1860 upvotes
GTEH!
This SimplyCash card is very similar to the AMEX USA version, Blue Cash CArd. Except the USA version has slightly better cash back rewards(?)
😎
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
5064 posts
2688 upvotes
will this card be available with GCR? I couldn't find it there
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2005
2032 posts
331 upvotes
Seems like this card is only useful for first six months. Afterwards its barely average considering Amex's limited acceptance. Then again, almost all the places I visit on regular basis, IGA, SDM, HBC and some restaurants all take Amex.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
6454 posts
4996 upvotes
mr_raider wrote: Why would anyone take only MC? MC has a higher interchange fee than visa.
Do the fixed rates really matter when retailers have fixed agreements with payments processors like Ingenico, TD, or Chase Paymentech where I'm pretty sure rates for vanilla MC and Visa are the same?

Deal Grabber wrote: Seems like this card is only useful for first six months. Afterwards its barely average considering Amex's limited acceptance. Then again, almost all the places I visit on regular basis, IGA, SDM, HBC and some restaurants all take Amex.
This card is still pretty good, especially the vanilla Simplycash.

I know if I wanted extended warranty, I'd much prefer to deal with Amex than any other company.

Webhead wrote: This SimplyCash card is very similar to the AMEX USA version, Blue Cash CArd. Except the USA version has slightly better cash back rewards(?)
It is simply due to more competition, and most of all higher interchange fees. The US has the higher merchant credit card fees in the world.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
305 upvotes
Toronto
ilove wrote: I use my Scotia Amex at Costco gas stations and have always gotten 4% cashback (as a gas station). I can't imagine it being different with this card because they are both Amex.
That was because Costco gas station was an exception to the rule since they had a contract together. Now that they won't as of January 1st 2015 it will not qualify.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
44409 posts
4985 upvotes
Richmond Hill
D-Roc wrote: That was because Costco gas station was an exception to the rule since they had a contract together. Now that they won't as of January 1st 2015 it will not qualify.
Nothing's preventing Costco to have the same agreement with MC once the details are released.
Artisan woodworker crafting live edge tables, end grain cutting boards, and other home decor
Silver Coins | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio | Heatware
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
305 upvotes
Toronto
Jon Lai wrote: Nothing's preventing Costco to have the same agreement with MC once the details are released.
Of course not, but we are talking about Amex. Not MC.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
2619 posts
920 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
This card is a decent deal, at least for the welcome promo; but I don't want to limit my options (and my credit) for other potential upcoming cards sooooo...

Can anyone confirm if AmEx will avoid a hard credit check if I have another product with them? Or if you can indeed transfer your accounts over?
[OP]
Mar 23, 2004
41632 posts
7620 upvotes
Markham
djdestroyer wrote: Can anyone confirm if AmEx will avoid a hard credit check if I have another product with them? Or if you can indeed transfer your accounts over?
no, as you will still have to apply.

no, you cant transfer/convert from other amex cards.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
305 upvotes
Toronto
djdestroyer wrote: This card is a decent deal, at least for the welcome promo; but I don't want to limit my options (and my credit) for other potential upcoming cards sooooo...

Can anyone confirm if AmEx will avoid a hard credit check if I have another product with them? Or if you can indeed transfer your accounts over?

Any application must have a complete credit check, no matter how many cards you have (goes for all credit card companies).

Do you have a Costco Amex card? If yes, wait in for your letter in the mail and you will be told if you can transfer to the new card or not. If not, then yes you will have to reapply.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
44409 posts
4985 upvotes
Richmond Hill
D-Roc wrote: Of course not, but we are talking about Amex. Not MC.
The discussion was about whether one could get 5% + 2% cash back with Costco, and it was stated that there is a agreement between Costco and AMEX to have the Costco gas stations report as a gas station and not as a retailer.

I'm just saying the deal might not necessarily end after January 1st, just might be with MC instead.
Artisan woodworker crafting live edge tables, end grain cutting boards, and other home decor
Silver Coins | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio | Heatware
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
305 upvotes
Toronto
Jon Lai wrote: The discussion was about whether one could get 5% + 2% cash back with Costco, and it was stated that there is a agreement between Costco and AMEX to have the Costco gas stations report as a gas station and not as a retailer.

I'm just saying the deal might not necessarily end after January 1st, just might be with MC instead.
And that is what I said.
May 17, 2010
554 posts
42 upvotes
Called into Amex today to see what my limit is. Said it was 3400 and has already been shipped.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2010
2444 posts
868 upvotes
Webhead wrote: This SimplyCash card is very similar to the AMEX USA version, Blue Cash CArd. Except the USA version has slightly better cash back rewards(?)
The BlueCash is a 3/2/1 groceries/gas/everything card. The Preferred version is $75 or so, but is 6/3/1.

Only US supermarkets and gas stations though.