• Nov 19th, 2020 10:55 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
25253 posts
3104 upvotes
Montreal
ValueHunter999 wrote: you don't need to buy anything with it to use the travel medical coverage ...
Quebec has mandatory drug coverage. I have travel health insurance as an add-on:

Expenses occurred outside the province or country of residence – Emergency and referred
services. All covered expenses in excess of those reimbursed by the provincial medical plan for
emergency services which occur during:
Within the first 90 days of leaving the province of residence, subject to a maximum of
$1,000,000 per insured, per occurrence;
Within the first 30 days of leaving the province of residence, subject to a lifetime maximum of
$500,000 when the insured is 71 years of age or over
I'll take my chances with Sunlife rather than some CC account.
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
12056 posts
15243 upvotes
Crinkle_cut wrote: I'm cancelling my AMEX, was only good for Costco, and now they switched over to Mastercard...so no use to hold an AMEX no more.
Costcos in the USA only accepts AMEX credit cards, so that is the only reason I am keeping it.
Have a nice day!

Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
12056 posts
15243 upvotes
I got the letter today from Costco and they say the new AMEX card can be used at Costco until the end of the year. It says there is 5% cashback for using in grocery stores.
Does Costco qualifies as a grocery store?
Have a nice day!

Jan 4, 2014
61 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
LonesomeDove wrote: I got the letter today from Costco and they say the new AMEX card can be used at Costco until the end of the year. It says there is 5% cashback for using in grocery stores.
Does Costco qualifies as a grocery store?
no.
Jan 4, 2014
61 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
why not have both?

first 3 months, spend $1500 in restaurants at 6% for Cap1 MC
first 6 months, spend $5000 on grocery and gas at 5% for Amex (buy gift cards for the remainder)

no point in waiting...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
5560 posts
1935 upvotes
GTEH!
LonesomeDove wrote: Costcos in the USA only accepts AMEX credit cards, so that is the only reason I am keeping it.
Costco USA accepts USA issued AMEX cards only. Costco USA does not accept Canadian issued AMEX cards.

OK. I was wrong. People have used their CDN T/E AMEX cards in USA Costco.

And thanks VivienM for clearing up the confusion on the Costco letter.(see below post #372)
😎
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
5560 posts
1935 upvotes
GTEH!
If it already hasn't been mentioned already: Costco gas stations qualify for the 5% cashback promo. I checked my online account and the gas purchases are receiving the 5% cb rebate. Use it there until Dec.31/2014.
😎
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2006
2051 posts
125 upvotes
Webhead wrote: Costco USA accepts USA issued AMEX cards only. Costco USA does not accept Canadian issued AMEX cards.
Not true AT ALL!
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2011
2309 posts
190 upvotes
YF
What? It's not that different compared to MBNA Smart cash, offering 5% for first 6 months, then 2% thereafter. Furthermore, AMEX is not accepted in most grocery stores. You would have to be spending a lot more in gas to justify the first 6 months in cash back from this card. After the 6 months, MBNA 2% seems to be a better choice than 1.25%. Worst thing for this card is they only give you cash back annually!! I don't have that much patience.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
4010 posts
2447 upvotes
on the links
IMWHFMPC wrote: Furthermore, AMEX is not accepted in most grocery stores.

Whether you want an AMEX card or not is your choice, but when making claims at least frame them properly.

AMEX is accepted at Metro, Sobeys, Food Basics, Walmart. And although I haven't tried it, a little bird told me that you can buy gift cards at Sobeys and then use them at Price Chopper and Freshco.

Loblaws and affiliates do not accept AMEX.

So I'm not sure what you mean by "most " grocery stores.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4335 posts
1889 upvotes
Webhead wrote: Costco USA accepts USA issued AMEX cards only. Costco USA does not accept Canadian issued AMEX cards.
WRONG. I use my Canadian-issued TrueEarnings and my Scotia Amex at Bellingham Costco all the time. All the time as in almost every other week.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
6846 posts
382 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ilove wrote: WRONG. I use my Canadian-issued TrueEarnings and my Scotia Amex at Bellingham Costco all the time. All the time as in almost every other week.
I think the confusion may come from the very poor wording of the Costco Canada letter, saying that Canadian TE/Platinum cards won't be accepted next year in US Costcos. What they don't mention is that it's strictly because those accounts... will no longer exist.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1350 posts
364 upvotes
VivienM wrote: I think the confusion may come from the very poor wording of the Costco Canada letter, saying that Canadian TE/Platinum cards won't be accepted next year in US Costcos. What they don't mention is that it's strictly because those accounts... will no longer exist.
+1
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
5560 posts
1935 upvotes
GTEH!
Vasyl wrote: Not true AT ALL!
ilove wrote: WRONG. I use my Canadian-issued TrueEarnings and my Scotia Amex at Bellingham Costco all the time. All the time as in almost every other week.
OK. I was wrong. You can use CDN AMEX cards @Costco USA.
😎
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2011
2309 posts
190 upvotes
YF
Sauerkraut wrote: Whether you want an AMEX card or not is your choice, but when making claims at least frame them properly.

AMEX is accepted at Metro, Sobeys, Food Basics, Walmart. And although I haven't tried it, a little bird told me that you can buy gift cards at Sobeys and then use them at Price Chopper and Freshco.

Loblaws and affiliates do not accept AMEX.

So I'm not sure what you mean by "most " grocery stores.
Hahaha, is OK, I have an AMEX (Scotiabank Gold), which I use it mainly for gas stations and restaurants. I guess you could say some grocery stores accept AMEX, I didn't know those you mentioned would accept it though, so that's why I was framing it that way. The grocery stores I frequent at are Asian supermarkets, they are the cheapest but don't accept AMEX. They are easily 5% cheaper than major grocery stores, and on top of the price savings, I can get a further 2%/5% cash back when using MBNA SC Mastercard, which they accept.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)