• Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2020 12:28 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4313 posts
1841 upvotes
Sauerkraut wrote: Whether you want an AMEX card or not is your choice, but when making claims at least frame them properly.

AMEX is accepted at Metro, Sobeys, Food Basics, Walmart. And although I haven't tried it, a little bird told me that you can buy gift cards at Sobeys and then use them at Price Chopper and Freshco.

Loblaws and affiliates do not accept AMEX.

So I'm not sure what you mean by "most " grocery stores.
To be fair, in BC there are no Metro, Sobeys, Food Basics, Price Chopper, Freshco, or Loblaws. And Walmart doesn't even qualify as groceries.

The only large grocery chain that accepts Amex is Save on Foods/Overwaitea affiliates, which are generally more expensive.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
3998 posts
2383 upvotes
on the links
ilove wrote: To be fair, in BC there are no Metro, Sobeys, Food Basics, Price Chopper, Freshco, or Loblaws. And Walmart doesn't even qualify as groceries.
Well, I was replying to a poster in North York.
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
12001 posts
15200 upvotes
ilove wrote: To be fair, in BC there are no Metro, Sobeys, Food Basics, Price Chopper, Freshco, or Loblaws. And Walmart doesn't even qualify as groceries.

The only large grocery chain that accepts Amex is Save on Foods/Overwaitea affiliates, which are generally more expensive.
According to this list, Safeway, IGA, Whole Foods, Urban Fare, Pricesmart also accept AMEX. You could hardly say Safeway is small as they have lots of stores in BC. Also, Safeway is owed by Sobeys. Plus there are lots of IGAs in BC. IGA is owned by the same people who own London Drugs which also accept AMEX.

https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/en/c ... list.html#
Have a nice day!

Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
3899 posts
891 upvotes
Markham
This nonsense about checking what stores take amex is why I'm glad to not even have to use Amex at Costco anymore. While the True Earnings was great for restaurants, but more than 50% of the restaurants I go to don't even take it. It's the same reason why I gave up my 2% Gold Amex so many years ago, only to apply for another AMEX due to my Costco shopping. This SimplyCash card will get used during the promo period and then sit in the draw until it is needed for Front of the Line, or not get used at all.
Some people just don't get that online forum posts shouldn't always be taken seriously.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2012
1405 posts
488 upvotes
Toronto
I was shocked yesterday to get a brand new Tru Earnings card in the mail??? My card is expiring this month and received nothing from costoco or amex except this new Tru Earning card. I thought it was obsolete?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
5437 posts
1855 upvotes
GTEH!
joey1234 wrote: I was shocked yesterday to get a brand new Tru Earnings card in the mail??? My card is expiring this month and received nothing from costoco or amex except this new Tru Earning card. I thought it was obsolete?
TE card is valid @Costco until Dec.31/2014
😎
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2012
1405 posts
488 upvotes
Toronto
Webhead wrote: TE card is valid @Costco until Dec.31/2014
agreed, but the card issued has an expiry of 2016 or '17. Just seems odd to me.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
24817 posts
3068 upvotes
Montreal
joey1234 wrote: I was shocked yesterday to get a brand new Tru Earnings card in the mail??? My card is expiring this month and received nothing from costoco or amex except this new Tru Earning card. I thought it was obsolete?
Check your account online. It may have been transitioned to the Simply Cash plan. The Costco card will operate as a simply cash card from the day of transition onwards. In my case, it was October 6th.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2008
5608 posts
125 upvotes
I applied for the free one, mainly because it gives you coverage for car rentals. Not bad. I had the Air Miles Platinum Amex the last year, canceled yesterday, just three days shy of my anniversary (and a $65 fee :D ). Just need a second card for work expenses.
Kommander_KornFlakes wrote: I make more than what 95% of people in this site makes.
Try a six-figure salary that starts with a "3" (that would be annually)
Gloaming wrote: Seriously- I TRIED to ignore him. KKF is like herpes, you keep scratching in an attempt to get temporary relief, but two weeks later he comes raging back more annoying and infuriating as ever.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4121 posts
743 upvotes
Richmond

don't forget safeway and iga marketplace
Oct 12, 2014
39 posts
12 upvotes
YYC/YEG
flexwong wrote: I applied for the free one, mainly because it gives you coverage for car rentals. Not bad. I had the Air Miles Platinum Amex the last year, canceled yesterday, just three days shy of my anniversary (and a $65 fee :D ). Just need a second card for work expenses.
I plan on keeping my Gold Rewards card not just for the benefits and rewards but also for things like Front of the Line and the Global Card Transfer program, which are unique to Amex. You never know when they come handy... It would suck to have to get a secured card (and hence lose out on rewards) if I ever decided to become an expat or whatever.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
44405 posts
4985 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Jonavin wrote: This nonsense about checking what stores take amex is why I'm glad to not even have to use Amex at Costco anymore. While the True Earnings was great for restaurants, but more than 50% of the restaurants I go to don't even take it. It's the same reason why I gave up my 2% Gold Amex so many years ago, only to apply for another AMEX due to my Costco shopping. This SimplyCash card will get used during the promo period and then sit in the draw until it is needed for Front of the Line, or not get used at all.
I beg to differ, a lot of restaurants I've been to are accepting AMEX, even Chinese ones that accept CC are taking AMEX in my experiences so far (fairly priced places, not the ultra expensive ones). While adoption rate of AMEX is lower than Visa/MC, I think it is largely overblown because so far I've only went to a handful of places that do not take AMEX, as I've been whipping out my Simply Cash to every Restuarant, Gas, and Grocery place since having it and only had to switch to my MC a couple times. Heck, even Tim Hortons, McDonalds, and Harveys takes it. Nothing like getting something from the value menu AND getting 5% cash back on top of that!
Artisan woodworker crafting live edge tables, end grain cutting boards, and other home decor
Silver Coins | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio | Heatware
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
3899 posts
891 upvotes
Markham
Jon Lai wrote: I beg to differ, a lot of restaurants I've been to are accepting AMEX, even Chinese ones that accept CC are taking AMEX in my experiences so far (fairly priced places, not the ultra expensive ones). While adoption rate of AMEX is lower than Visa/MC, I think it is largely overblown because so far I've only went to a handful of places that do not take AMEX, as I've been whipping out my Simply Cash to every Restuarant, Gas, and Grocery place since having it and only had to switch to my MC a couple times. Heck, even Tim Hortons, McDonalds, and Harveys takes it. Nothing like getting something from the value menu AND getting 5% cash back on top of that!
I keep waiting for what you say to be true but it's still a problem for me. There's even inconsistencies in franchises. All those Timmys, McD and Harveys you listed, my local ones never accepted Amex or have only started to do so recently. I remembered when they had that Amex Tim Hortons free giftcard promo it took me 5 times before I found a Tim Hortons that would take an Amex. None of the grocery stores I go to accepts them. Gas stations are the only ones I can expect to take it. And everyone of those places that takes Amex for sure takes Mastercard.
Some people just don't get that online forum posts shouldn't always be taken seriously.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
44405 posts
4985 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Jonavin wrote: I keep waiting for what you say to be true but it's still a problem for me. There's even inconsistencies in franchises. All those Timmys, McD and Harveys you listed, my local ones never accepted Amex or have only started to do so recently. I remembered when they had that Amex Tim Hortons free giftcard promo it took me 5 times before I found a Tim Hortons that would take an Amex. None of the grocery stores I go to accepts them. Gas stations are the only ones I can expect to take it. And everyone of those places that takes Amex for sure takes Mastercard.
Where are you located? I would've thought most Timmies would take AMEX especially after their promotion last year.

I guess being in downtown Toronto helps a bit. I was very surprised when McD's and Harveys took my AMEX, though, I'd be honest.
Artisan woodworker crafting live edge tables, end grain cutting boards, and other home decor
Silver Coins | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio | Heatware
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
3899 posts
891 upvotes
Markham
I'm all over the 905 from Mississauga all the way to Ajax. AMEX acceptance is lower than 50% outside of major retailers and gas stations. Like I said I gave up on my 2% AMEX gold long ago because of th einability to even use it.