• Last Updated:
  • Mar 14th, 2024 10:51 am
Tags:
None
Mar 11, 2004
811 posts
619 upvotes
Quebec City
VivienM wrote: They spontaneously sent it to you? When?

(I am just trying to figure out if they are still converting some accounts or if everyone getting converted already has been.)
Yes, didn't have to do anything. Just received it today but I also received a bunch of letters before stating that I would receive it.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4731 posts
2788 upvotes
Pointseeker wrote: Right different people were told different things. So whom are willing to bet on to being your situation.
I think she meant SOME people were told different things by different CSRs. For example, myself. I was flat out lied to by a rep saying I was already converted on November 8th. I called in about a week later for a different issue only to be told I've been terminated.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
9301 posts
10316 upvotes
I just don't understand their thinking and I feel terrible for you guys. We have someone who said he spent $40000 a year on the card and was not renewed, while someone like me had used it like 2-3 times in the last months and only for the restaurant cashback. There is no reason why not give each and every one of you a card.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7673 posts
1131 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Poutinesauce wrote: I just don't understand their thinking and I feel terrible for you guys. We have someone who said he spent $40000 a year on the card and was not renewed, while someone like me had used it like 2-3 times in the last months and only for the restaurant cashback. There is no reason why not give each and every one of you a card.
I still think it has something to do with credit limits and wanting to do some housekeeping. If you have someone with a 5-figure limit, NO current information as to their income, a credit report that shows a reasonable number of other outstanding accounts, and who barely uses the card, why not make them reapply and at least give you some current income information?

(I still can't decide whether to reapply, either...)
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2008
15587 posts
7027 upvotes
Gatineau
VivienM wrote: They spontaneously sent it to you? When?

(I am just trying to figure out if they are still converting some accounts or if everyone getting converted already has been.)
I have received a few letters over the past couple months indicating that I will be converted and the last letter that I received last week indicated that my account has been converted as of Nov 22nd (which I later confirmed when I logged online), but I have yet to receive the actual Card in the mail nor any PIN.

djino
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
5744 posts
5510 upvotes
Toronto
I now have this new card to replace my Costco AMEX but have not activated yet - when I called AMEX, they told me that if you continue using your Costco TrueEarnings (until Dec 31st), you still get the 5% promo as the two cards are tied together.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
2587 posts
258 upvotes
Calgary
chadw01 wrote: I now have this new card to replace my Costco AMEX but have not activated yet - when I called AMEX, they told me that if you continue using your Costco TrueEarnings (until Dec 31st), you still get the 5% promo as the two cards are tied together.
Take a look its the same number and therefore account. I asked if Costco (old) will be deactivated if expiry on the card is in the future but I did not get the answer.
Jan 2, 2009
163 posts
48 upvotes
Ontario
Pointseeker wrote: Take a look its the same number and therefore account. I asked if Costco (old) will be deactivated if expiry on the card is in the future but I did not get the answer.
No, it won't be deactivated till the end of this year. I still use my old Costco True Earnings Amex at Costco.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
2587 posts
258 upvotes
Calgary
woesermarley wrote: No, it won't be deactivated till the end of this year. I still use my old Costco True Earnings Amex at Costco.
expiry past January 1 was the question......
Banned
May 7, 2007
13912 posts
5710 upvotes
So if one, say, buys $100 (or more etc) worth of Gift Certificate(s) at Sobeys .... --- One can get 5% from purchasing those?

On a $100 gift card at Sobeys ... (Safeway etc) .. get back 5 bucks basically (payable to you in September) ....

Then use those cards when doing shopping at Sobeys, Safeway etc ...

If that works ... - better than nothing, I suppose.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
2587 posts
258 upvotes
Calgary
Darkman wrote: So if one, say, buys $100 (or more etc) worth of Gift Certificate(s) at Sobeys .... --- One can get 5% from purchasing those?

On a $100 gift card at Sobeys ... (Safeway etc) .. get back 5 bucks basically (payable to you in September) ....

Then use those cards when doing shopping at Sobeys, Safeway etc ...

If that works ... - better than nothing, I suppose.
Can not use Amex at Safeway for GC.
Banned
May 7, 2007
13912 posts
5710 upvotes
^^ Thought I could ...

GC, though? (what's that ... lol)

p.s.

Sobeys then .... :) (as Safeway is almost dead / hardly breathing anyhow ... - nothing special there since Sobeys bought it)
Nov 29, 2014
680 posts
83 upvotes
Pitt Meadows, BC
It should. I haven't tried it at Safeway. It worked for IGA gift cards.

I'll probably be trying it at Safeway soon though, as it has more variety of GC.

I don't think its against the rules to buy GC but AMEX have the right to change the rules as they see fit, to my understanding, for their rewards program when ever they want.
Oct 24, 2007
526 posts
241 upvotes
User230 wrote: It should. I haven't tried it at Safeway. It worked for IGA gift cards.

I'll probably be trying it at Safeway soon though, as it has more variety of GC.

I don't think its against the rules to buy GC but AMEX have the right to change the rules as they see fit, to my understanding, for their rewards program when ever they want.
Amex has not idea what you're buying, nor do they care. They collect the merchant fee on the total charged to the card, incl. gift cards, taxes, enviro fees, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
9135 posts
7098 upvotes
West GTEH!
Pointseeker wrote: expiry past January 1 was the question......
Very good qestion.
I think it will not expire. Just can't use it @Costco after Jan.1/2015.
AMEX probably won't renew card when the EXP. date comes up.
😎
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
2587 posts
258 upvotes
Calgary
Webhead wrote: Very good qestion.
I think it will not expire. Just can't use it @Costco after Jan.1/2015.
AMEX probably won't renew card when the EXP. date comes up.
I have the new card but want to know if the old one will work beyond the 1st. Have not activated the new yet.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
2587 posts
258 upvotes
Calgary
User230 wrote: It should. I haven't tried it at Safeway. It worked for IGA gift cards.

Why is so difficult to understand, SAFEWAY DOES NOT ACCEPT AMEX FOR GC PURCHASES.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7673 posts
1131 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Pointseeker wrote: I have the new card but want to know if the old one will work beyond the 1st. Have not activated the new yet.
... and why does this matter?

They are the same account with the same reward program. What's the advantage of the old physical card over the new one?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)