• Last Updated:
  • Nov 19th, 2020 10:55 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
5528 posts
4434 upvotes
MehtabS wrote: Only thing I see is that sigh of frustration from the cashier/owner..
Ha ha ha ha! Good one!

I had so many Amex cards falling out of my wallet, I had a tough time of keeping track of which one to use...I started to put on little stickers on each one, so that when I used it for the promo, I'd know how many times I'd used each one (max 3 times on each card). One of my stickers almost jammed up the chip reader. :o :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2003
7943 posts
1518 upvotes
Burnaby
The Amex Charge cards are probably easier to get than the credit cards. Have been auto approved for Gold, Aeroplan Gold and Plat over the years, but the Blue Sky app I made required manual review.

The Gold Rewards charge card only has a 20k income requirement, and even the Plat only needs 40k. It's nothing to be proud about - World MCs and Infinite Visas have higher requirements than that
Jul 20, 2014
860 posts
178 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
crimsona wrote: The Amex Charge cards are probably easier to get than the credit cards. Have been auto approved for Gold, Aeroplan Gold and Plat over the years, but the Blue Sky app I made required manual review.

The Gold Rewards charge card only has a 20k income requirement, and even the Plat only needs 40k. It's nothing to be proud about - World MCs and Infinite Visas have higher requirements than that
A charge card would be amazing but, there is an annual fee for them, thats the problem.
Jul 20, 2014
860 posts
178 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
crimsona wrote: Gold Rewards is no fee first year, and if you want a no-fee credit card 11 months from now before the AF is due you'll have the needed history with AE to get approved
Yeh I have two weeks of credit history with CIBC. GG
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
2632 posts
929 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
bruenor9 wrote: wtf how was that your first? When did you get it?
Sorry, not my first credit card but my first AmEx. I've had the basic TD Visa for about a year and the PC MasterCard for three. I've never really had steady income though which is why I thought it might work for you.

Aeroplan Gold was obtained about a year ago, I'll cancel it before Christmas to incur the fee. As others have said, perhaps a charge card is easier?

I don't really get the difference, the interest is simply higer but you have no limit? Can someone clarify? I pay all my CC's every month so I don't really notice a difference between a credit card and a charge card.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2009
1999 posts
605 upvotes
FSUBall23 wrote: chargecard is easier
Maybe, but I doubt it'll make a difference for bruenor9, he'll most likely still get declined. My buddy, who is 21 and makes about $70k/year, just got declined for the Amex Gold because his credit history is too new. Too bad, I could've used the 10k rewards points for the referral. Sounds like bruenor would be in the same boat.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4129 posts
750 upvotes
Richmond
the simply cash requires only 15k. Same amount required with vancity. But vancity waived the requirement for me with only 2 months history. Op would be better off waiting to get an amex. Build a couple months history. Get a job first then apply.
Jul 20, 2014
860 posts
178 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
I'm in school so getting an actual job is eh. I do some ebay reselling which made me like 20k in like 3 months but not something I want to like declare
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2014
2170 posts
339 upvotes
Mississauga
bruenor9 wrote: I'm in school so getting an actual job is eh. I do some ebay reselling which made me like 20k in like 3 months but not something I want to like declare
Off topic, but bro..what did you resell? That is a hell lot of money to be made in 3 months !
Oh sada kehra bapu karda black nee, Jehra tere shahir (Toronto), Le lawan flat nee
Jul 20, 2014
860 posts
178 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
If I told you wouldn't be making as much, and yeh it's not bad for doing an hour a work a day. Honestly just some research and it's not hard to earn that much. But yeh it's why showing bank statements aren't really a problem. I just don't want to get in to tax issue. I'm seriously hoping to get a Model S by mid 2015
Aug 23, 2012
48 posts
Just received my card. The whole thing is transparent except for the blue square and the chip tags.

I though it was white? Anyone got the same?
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
3757 posts
1042 upvotes
prelude0725 wrote: Just received my card. The whole thing is transparent except for the blue square and the chip tags.

I though it was white? Anyone got the same?
It's supposed to be transparent (like the Blue Sky), though they were sending out some white cards earlier, I assume they ran out of transparent cards for a short period.
Aug 23, 2012
48 posts
CorSter wrote: It's supposed to be transparent (like the Blue Sky), though they were sending out some white cards earlier, I assume they ran out of transparent cards for a short period.
Oh I see.... that's strange.
The transparent card looks kinds of weird though.