Ongoing Deal Discussion

American Express

Amex SimplyCash Preferred™ Card: 10% cashback welcome offer on first $4,000 spent + $100 statement credit (ymmv)

• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2022 10:06 pm
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
6532 posts
6448 upvotes
RolandCouch wrote: So will this be done automatically?

I currently have $4xx.xx of cash back showing as my cash back balance and my last statement was in August. I have paid my bill so I owe $0.

So when my September statement comes out, will they automatically credit my account and put it into a negative balance that I can either spend or request mailed out?

Thanks

Just want to figure out how to get this money out!
Rollie, it doesn’t matter what your current CB amount is atm. Based on past years DP and the handful of current DPs, it appears that you’ll get the CB as listed in the summary of your Aug statement.

Someone spoke to Amex and said they should keep spending into September and that the CB ISSUED in September would include this extra cash back. Just waiting now to see if it was the truth or not for that specific account. Lol!

If you didn’t fall for the mis-leading Amex marketing emails, or talk to lying (lol, actually just green) reps who told you to keep spending into September then you haven’t been tricked, so your current CB will be the same as your Aug statement’s CB value, right?

But even if you did spend, then if you’re not planning to cancel or will be downgrading the card then no worries. You’ll get the incremental CB earned after the AugStatement, ISSUING in Sep 2022.
jevonb wrote: The annual statement credit rules have not changed. My annual statement credit posted on 9/3 (my statement close is 9/6). I received the exact accrued cashback balance shown on my Aug statement (8/6). All accrued cashback earned after my 8/6/21 statement close won't be credited until Sep 2022.
Going back through my prior year’s statements the CB value from the Aug statement is ISSUED with a date of about 5-6 days before my September cut-off date, as a statement credit. I don’t recall if they were actually posted to the live account balance at 5-6 days prior to the cut-off, or it may have been 3-4. You already see it in your live balance today (Sep 4), but have a look in your statement to see what the posted date is, when it cuts. Curious if it was actually Sep 1-2.
Aug 2, 2011
143 posts
70 upvotes
Vancouver
Well my DP is a statement date of Sept 1 and still no cashback posted!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
6759 posts
3870 upvotes
benj_i wrote: Well my DP is a statement date of Sept 1 and still no cashback posted!
May be your actual cut off date is Aug. 31.
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
18656 posts
5442 upvotes
Scarberia
i got my cashback for sept statement! i now have like -380 credit! i think u can transfer negative bal into another amex cc!
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to [email protected] stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
6759 posts
3870 upvotes
mikka2017 wrote: i got my cashback for sept statement! i now have like -380 credit!
Are you going to keep the Card? If not, have you called to cancel and request for refund cheque for -$380?
Oct 20, 2018
166 posts
86 upvotes
mikka2017 wrote: i got my cashback for sept statement! i now have like -380 credit! i think u can transfer negative bal into another amex cc!
How?! TIA

Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
18656 posts
5442 upvotes
Scarberia
GoldenRice wrote: How?! TIA

Smiling Face With Open Mouth
i think u call in or do live chat
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to [email protected] stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
18656 posts
5442 upvotes
Scarberia
ml88888888 wrote: Are you going to keep the Card? If not, have you called to cancel and request for refund cheque for -$380?
keeping the card for one year at least , then cancel or try to downgrade to the regular simplycash no fee card
Apr 3, 2013
136 posts
48 upvotes
Vancouver
bizee-bee wrote: When I started churning cards I thought it was getting to be too much trouble, and that if I'd ever find a 2% on-anything no-fee card I'd stop the insanity game (I missed the boat on the Crap One card). Yet here I am, years later and I'm still playing the game, and a 2% card does not make sense when there are so many cards out there that are offering much bigger prizes in the form of SUBs. I spend $30K - $40K most years on CC and I am getting much more than 2%. If not for the pandemic, even the 10% cards wouldn't seem that attractive either. :lol:
Don't leave us hanging, what is the greater than 2% rewards CC?
Air miles or travel credits? I haven't traveled since COVID started and won't until the pandemic disappears, so that won't help me.
May 7, 2017
360 posts
177 upvotes
My statement date is on the 3rd and I haven't received any CB yet. Talked to CS and they said because my cutoff date was so close to the beginning of the month, so the system couldn't generate the CB to be applied to my account. They are working on this issue now. So I will just need to wait.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
6532 posts
6448 upvotes
batista99 wrote: Don't leave us hanging, what is the greater than 2% rewards CC?
Air miles or travel credits? I haven't traveled since COVID started and won't until the pandemic disappears, so that won't help me.
I was inferring that SUBs are where I unload the majority of my spend, so a constant never-ending influx of new card openings is where I divert my purchases onto, and I don’t have to concentrate on category spending, free to spend on anything. And these SUBs are usually way more than 2%.

I realize not everyone has this type of garden at their fingertips and as well most people can’t be bothered, so they will settle for a 2% on anything card. Such as the 2% Brim We MC with FYF, and going into year 2 many are getting another year of AF waived/rebated. I would go for that too if I didn’t have so many pretty perennial flowers to pick, 12 months of the year. :lol:
Apr 3, 2013
136 posts
48 upvotes
Vancouver
bizee-bee wrote: I was inferring that SUBs are where I unload the majority of my spend, so a constant never-ending influx of new card openings is where I divert my purchases onto, and I don’t have to concentrate on category spending, free to spend on anything. And these SUBs are usually way more than 2%.

I realize not everyone has this type of garden at their fingertips and as well most people can’t be bothered, so they will settle for a 2% on anything card. Such as the 2% Brim We MC with FYF, and going into year 2 many are getting another year of AF waived/rebated. I would go for that too if I didn’t have so many pretty perennial flowers to pick, 12 months of the year. :lol:
True, but we're running out of these special CC offers and some such as AMEX is a one-time offer (can't cancel the card and get the 10% offer again next year).
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2013
1913 posts
1226 upvotes
Toronto
batista99 wrote: True, but we're running out of these special CC offers and some such as AMEX is a one-time offer (can't cancel the card and get the 10% offer again next year).
Really? Damn
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
6532 posts
6448 upvotes
batista99 wrote: True, but we're running out of these special CC offers and some such as AMEX is a one-time offer (can't cancel the card and get the 10% offer again next year).
Has someone tried to open the 10% SCP and NOT received the SUB again, or you're just speculating based on the DPs that other Amex cards have produced?

Anyways, no question that the CC offers nowadays are not as good as they used to be in terms of SUBs and churn-ability. Even the recent Amex offers with the touted “HUGE” and “best ever” offers are not attractive to me personally, compared to what we had available in the past.

The run is over, but we have been fortunate to pluck enough SUBs to propel us around the world in front cabins to aspirational frontiers which we likely would never have ventured to, and in lie flat pods. We've been flying biz or F-class globe-trotting itiineraries every year (some times twice a year) since we started playing this game in 2014.

But you're right. With the pandemic the travel points are not as attractive anymore, unless you want to bank them to use for the future when (hopefully) we can travel again. For us, we still have 3M+ airline points, and another 1.5M hotel points to spend once the world opens up again, so during 2020 instead of collecting more FFPs we chose to open a dozen different low hanging 10% cash back cards.

There are some CC SUBs that are better than 10% return as cash equivalents, not just for travel points, but you'll have to do your homework, follow some blogs or join some private groups to get the deeper info.

Bee, the bumble-butt talker. :lol:
Apr 3, 2013
136 posts
48 upvotes
Vancouver
JaiKor wrote: Really? Damn
Additional Information

This offer is only available to new SimplyCash Preferred™ Card from American Express Cardmembers. For current or former SimplyCash™ Preferred Card from American Express Cardmembers, we may approve your application, but you will not be eligible for the Welcome Rate of 10%. 10% cash back rate applies for the first four (4) months of Card membership, up to a maximum of $4,000 in purchases (equal to $400 cash back).

https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/en/c ... ferredCard

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)