Deal Link:
Price:
Savings:
$50.00 off
Expiry:
July 26, 2020
Retailer:
Ancestry.CA
These kits from Ancestry.CA and 23andMe go on sale on a semi-regular basis .

Have thought about doing it but maybe now's the time. Anyone have any personal experience with this or any other similar type products?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2004
1327 posts
743 upvotes
Montreal
Yeah, just don't. Might as well put your medical dossier on eBay.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24358 posts
31254 upvotes
I'm not sure if the mods will tolerate honest feedback here, but I share it nonetheless.

A few items:
1) There's an incentive to promulgate fictitious heritage(s) based on speculative associations in your DNA. It's interesting dinner table conversation, so the market incentive is towards distortion. If you want a demonstration, take multiple tests from different providers.
2) It's a free buffet for aggregators of personal data, and the whole space is too liquid for regulators to properly get a handle on right now.

When genetic testing get incorporated into personal medicine more broadly, you'll see the benefits more readily. For right now though, this should be viewed as an 'entertainment-only' exercise.

My intent is to inform here, in good faith, not to offend. If this enterprise entertains you, then enjoy the service as a well-informed consumer, with eyes open.

Best wishes.
Nov 21, 2018
95 posts
208 upvotes
GTA
klown wrote: Yeah, just don't. Might as well put your medical dossier on eBay.
Eh, it is worse. You are paying them almost a hundred bucks so that they can sell your information to third-parties. And you gain nothing of real value in return. You should be getting paid for this service. It is highway robbery.
Jun 15, 2020
347 posts
421 upvotes
Ontario
redflagdealsguy wrote: I'm not sure if the mods will tolerate honest feedback here, but I share it nonetheless.

A few items:
1) There's an incentive to promulgate fictitious heritage(s) based on speculative associations in your DNA. It's interesting dinner table conversation, so the market incentive is towards distortion. If you want a demonstration, take multiple tests from different providers.
2) It's a free buffet for aggregators of personal data, and the whole space is too liquid for regulators to properly get a handle on right now.

When genetic testing get incorporated into personal medicine more broadly, you'll see the benefits more readily. For right now though, this should be viewed as an 'entertainment-only' exercise.

My intent is to inform here, in good faith, not to offend. If this enterprise entertains you, then enjoy the service as a well-informed consumer, with eyes open.

Best wishes.
Complete side not, but how do you have 14455 posts? 19 posts a day since 2018? Your dedication to RFD is unreal.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
4003 posts
3199 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm very skeptical about these companies and what they will do with your DNA. Do your due diligence and make sure not to allow sharing or selling your information as it can come back and bite you and/or family in the a$$ years down the road. You pay them "for the service" so they could further benefit from your data. You may also uncover family secrets that you would rather not know. This is not as simple as you would think so be real careful with your decision.

This is just a sample of what information is out there with a simple web search
Forbes - How DNA Companies Like Ancestry And 23andMe Are Using Your Genetic Data
...major pharmaceutical giant, GlaxoSmithKline, announced a $300 million deal with 23andMe."
or from another report: "...the biggest buyer of Ancestry's data is Calico Life Sciences, a biotech company bankrolled by Silicon Valley billionaires."
NY Times - How to Protect Your DNA Data Before and After Taking an at-Home Test
CNBC - 5 biggest risks of sharing your DNA with consumer genetic-testing companies
USA Today - DNA testing can share all your family secrets. Are you ready for that?
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
3763 posts
2738 upvotes
toronto
MrBear2019 wrote: Complete side not, but how do you have 14455 posts? 19 posts a day since 2018? Your dedication to RFD is unreal.
he lives up to his username
Got that FIDO account!
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2007
4968 posts
3126 upvotes
Removed for now.
Last edited by RiCHC3 on Jul 28th, 2020 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Dec 14, 2013
28 posts
38 upvotes
Richmond
Thanks for the tidbits of useful information, that's pretty deep stuff!

Yeah, I think I'll stay away for now...
Mar 21, 2013
120 posts
76 upvotes
Ottawa
One guy believes, rightfully that these companies are using our personal health and DNA data to further enrich themselves and are charging us for the privilege. Another guy just met his half-sister he would not have met otherwise. Such opposites and they're both in the right.

This is the perfect parable of our predicament with technology.
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17904 posts
886 upvotes
My brother did this a little while ago and used the info tied into our family tree and did a neat little bit of family research on it. We were able to accurately track our lineage way back using them together. Was pretty fun too.

Seemed pretty darn accurate from our perspective.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)