• Oct 12th, 2019 10:50 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2012
1543 posts
1064 upvotes
Lake Simcoe

Android 10 Update (for Pixel owners)

Check your Pixel phones. I just installed OS 10 on my Pixel 2 XL via Koodo.
Images
  • Screenshot_20190903-201613.png
39 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
12277 posts
1834 upvotes
Kanata
love2save wrote: Check your Pixel phones. I just installed OS 10 on my Pixel 2 XL via Koodo.
Also for Essential PH-1.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2014
1368 posts
1161 upvotes
Love the new gesture control. I just hate the new back button as i cannot use the swipe from left ledge to bring up the discord app menu :(

EDIT: I think i got it now. You just have to swipe little up before pulling to the right.
Deal Addict
Oct 10, 2007
1321 posts
176 upvotes
Toronto
How is the resource usage on tbe phone? Does it slow it down? I have a pixel 3.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
21291 posts
23669 upvotes
Toronto
jumperson22 wrote: How is the resource usage on tbe phone? Does it slow it down? I have a pixel 3.
Works beautifully on Essential PH-1. Been running the betas and now this final version with no issues
Things changed now that I’m a father, I can’t live my life a quarter mile at a time anymore.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2074 posts
1155 upvotes
Calgary
Google has designed an API that will allow an "exclusion" area for the back gesture so that slide out menus will work better with the new gestures, but it will require app developers to update their apps.

For now, you can either swipe from the left with two fingers, or press and hold on to the left edge until you see the menu sliding out (peek, as Google calls it). Not fully intuitive, but I think I can get used to it.

Also, if you enable developer options (Settings - About Phone, then scroll down and tap on "Build Number" 7 times), there's an option in there at the bottom to change the accent color (the pale blue quick settings icons). Not nearly as many options as on Oneplus phones, but some are better than the boring blue.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19909 posts
5281 upvotes
Off the 404
Enjoying it on my Pixel 2 XL so far. Love that night sight is just a few swipes away too!
Oct 24, 2018
372 posts
354 upvotes
sprung wrote: Works beautifully on Essential PH-1. Been running the betas and now this final version with no issues
Yep, I got the Android 10 notification yesterday, installed quickly and easily, now running with no issues on my Essential Ph-1 too. Gotta love Essential.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
3373 posts
678 upvotes
Got mine. How do you turn on the dark mode?
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2006
4994 posts
453 upvotes
Trying to install this on my Pixel 3 and it's caused me a bootloop....prior to this I only had it rooted via Magisk with Adaway and that was it. Not sure what the issue did.

All the previous month updates, to update I would flash the factory image while removing "-w" from the last line in the flash.bat file. It tries to boot up twice then nothing happens and I'm stuck back in fastboot mode. I'm on the latest July 2019 SDK platform tools.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
12277 posts
1834 upvotes
Kanata
EEE2 wrote: Got mine. How do you turn on the dark mode?
It's in Settings -> Display -> Dark Theme
Sep 23, 2013
467 posts
412 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Just a heads up for the small percentage of us pixel users that also own samsung watches: the galaxy wear app that is essential for use isnt compatible with Android 10 and crashes every time. My watch also drains battery at a ridiculous rate, going from 100 to 0 in about 5 hours.

Reports are that Samsung will not fix this until Android 10 launches on Samsung phones.
Apr 15, 2018
74 posts
105 upvotes
Calgary
Pixel 2 esim now works with non-Fi carriers, I switched my freedom line to esim from their website, just enter an iphone imei.
May 15, 2012
132 posts
59 upvotes
Surrey
SplittedBanana wrote: Pixel 2 esim now works with non-Fi carriers, I switched my freedom line to esim from their website, just enter an iphone imei.
Woah that is cool! Thanks for the heads up.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2012
1543 posts
1064 upvotes
Lake Simcoe
Canada_7 wrote: Trying to install this on my Pixel 3 and it's caused me a bootloop....prior to this I only had it rooted via Magisk with Adaway and that was it. Not sure what the issue did.

All the previous month updates, to update I would flash the factory image while removing "-w" from the last line in the flash.bat file. It tries to boot up twice then nothing happens and I'm stuck back in fastboot mode. I'm on the latest July 2019 SDK platform tools.
Booting issue