• Sep 25th, 2020 5:19 pm
Tags:
12 replies
Nov 30, 2016
819 posts
1025 upvotes
Mississauga
And so the wait begins...
I wonder what's the standout feature on this version. I've always found Samsung's version of Android to be much better than stock.
Mar 31, 2018
120 posts
73 upvotes
Pixel 3a, 1.33 gig.

Just upgraded
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2012
3193 posts
1547 upvotes
Mississauga
Anyone installing factory image instead? I don't have time these days to do one but generally I find it less buggier as compared to an OTA updatet.
I love RFD! :)
Aug 15, 2009
947 posts
607 upvotes
Montreal
yo2boy wrote: Anyone installing factory image instead? I don't have time these days to do one but generally I find it less buggier as compared to an OTA updatet.
On my old Nexus 6P, I always installed the factory image.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32619 posts
6383 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
A few things I have noticed

The lock screen has a lot more information. If you have Now Playing turned on, it will actually list the song on the bottom of the lock screen

You will also see more notifications below the weather.

In the phone app, some calls have an HD in superscript. I guess it is to indicate a high definition call.

There is a carat to indicate swiping up on the main screen

Quick controls (holding the power button) has been totally revamped. You can not see your Google Home speakers.

Still playing, will update as I discover more
Oct 27, 2016
850 posts
406 upvotes
GTA
Updated yesterday. 17MB on my 3a XL, although ive been on the beta program since Jun. Upgrading from beta1 to beta 2 to beta3 and finally to stable build is flawless.
______________________________________________________________________________________________

cheap phone bill = Public Mobile 13$ + 3GB data only eSIM plan 0$ + Google Pixel 3a XL
Apr 25, 2019
226 posts
281 upvotes
Love the new update. I can finally record my screen without having to resort to 3rd party solutions. I think my battery life has improved since the update. So happy I got the Pixel 3a no more dreading for months to get a update...... Lol.
Lucky Mobile 3.5 GB $25
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32619 posts
6383 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Screen Shots can now be shared immediately. Previously, you hit the power button and the volume up.

Now you can do it from a swipe and share it. I hate to admit it, but iOS does it really well. You still can't edit a screen shot, but it is a lot better than before.

To access the app drawer previously, you had to swipe from the bottom up. Now you swipe up from the most frequently used apps. About a cm from the bottom. Swiping from the bottom will show all running apps and allow you to toggle or close apps. Previously, you swipe from the bottom and pause. This makes it a lot easier.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2006
4956 posts
441 upvotes
Anyone try rooting with magisk for this new version yet? Seems like it'll only work with the canary (beta) build and not the stable build of magisk from reading. Haven't tried myself yet.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3090 posts
589 upvotes
Vancouver
Canada_7 wrote: Anyone try rooting with magisk for this new version yet? Seems like it'll only work with the canary (beta) build and not the stable build of magisk from reading. Haven't tried myself yet.
Yep, went through this on Friday. I lasted approximately 2 days w/o root before I couldn't take it anymore.. lol. I absolutely need the system wide ad-block that isn't a VPN. Rooting with Magisk only works w/ the canary build. Everything else will result in a boot loop. I figured it out the hard way. Crying Face

I found the canary build from the Magisk github. It has a weird name like app-debug.apk but that's the one. I installed that and followed the usual steps to patch my boot image. I didn't flash TWRP this time around so hopefully I'll be able to apply the monthly security update OTAs easily.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2006
4956 posts
441 upvotes
litebrite wrote: Yep, went through this on Friday. I lasted approximately 2 days w/o root before I couldn't take it anymore.. lol. I absolutely need the system wide ad-block that isn't a VPN. Rooting with Magisk only works w/ the canary build. Everything else will result in a boot loop. I figured it out the hard way. Crying Face

I found the canary build from the Magisk github. It has a weird name like app-debug.apk but that's the one. I installed that and followed the usual steps to patch my boot image. I didn't flash TWRP this time around so hopefully I'll be able to apply the monthly security update OTAs easily.
Thanks, finally got around to doing it. Updated my Pixel 3 to it. One thing that's annoying me though is that by default my wallpaper has been zoomed in and it'll zoom out to its "normal" size as I pull down notifications. After googling, this seems like its an actual feature Google made. This seems great but not with my homescreen setup. I have icons and a few skins setup on my home screen and with the wallpaper zoomed in it messes things up. It also doesn't appear to be a way to disable it either....