Computers & Electronics

Android/apple Tablet - What functions can I use from my phone on it?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2021 12:42 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16639 posts
5210 upvotes
Toronto

Android/apple Tablet - What functions can I use from my phone on it?

I am looking to get a 10 inch tablet and currently have a Google Pixel 5. What I would like to do on the tablet is as follows:

- Send text messages from it (currently use Google Messenger)
- Send Signal and WhatsApp messages on it
- Cast contact from the device to my Chomecast or Roku device

Is this possible to do on a Tablet or will I still be reaching for my phone?
2 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7563 posts
8144 upvotes
Vancouver
You can only send and receive SMS text messages from your cell phone number using the one device that has your phone SIM in it. If you use a VoIP number, you may be able to send and receive text messages with that on different devices.

Whatsapp and Signal both verify your identity using the SIM card. There are ways to temporarily get access on another device without the SIM, but they're not very convenient.

Chromecast, Miracast/WiFi, and DLNA work the same from a tablet as they do from a phone. They may be slightly different in different versions of Android, or if you use an off-brand-Android like FireOS on the Amazon tablets.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2011
1026 posts
481 upvotes
Toronto
It is easy to install Whatsapp on an android tablet. Just use your your cell number to register and let the cell phone receive the code, by text or by phone call. (I did it using my landline number.) Your device doesn't need to have a sim card for Whatsapp to work. But realize that Whatsapp will stop working on your cell phone because it can only be on one device at a time. I am not familiar with Signal.

I don't believe that you can set up Whatsapp on an iPad as they don't make the app available in the App Store. For iPhone only it seems.