Automotive

Android Auto/ Apple CarPlay. How important is this feature to you?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2021 6:20 pm
[OP]
Jan 22, 2017
357 posts
224 upvotes
GTA

Android Auto/ Apple CarPlay. How important is this feature to you?

I have used wired android auto for the past 3 years. It's not perfect but I use it nearly all the time for spotify and google maps. Overall, I enjoy having it. However, the lease is coming up and I have mo intention of keeping the vehicle.

I am now considering replacing the above car with an older vehicle without android auto.

Am I crazy for even entertaining this idea or is android auto/apple CarPlay a necessity? (Especially once you've had it). I guess I could try going a few days without it but I'm curious what others think.
31 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
7995 posts
609 upvotes
Brampton
I’m somewhat in a similar situation. My current car has Apple CarPlay/Android Auto but I keep thinking about “downgrading” to an older car to save money.

Really I think it would be fine. Just get a good phone holder and depending on the age of the vehicle just stream using Bluetooth or buy a Bluetooth to aux adapter.

At the end of the day think about all the savings you will have by having a older car instead.

Plus Tesla owners go without it lol
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6128 posts
4739 upvotes
I don't think it's a big deal. I never needed navigation 90% of the time so AA/CP is just a glorified music player for me.

But AA/CP is a must if it's a rental car.

Now as for downgrading to older car to save $, I think that's very YMMV. But retrofitting a head unit that's capable isn't that big of a deal.
Nov 27, 2004
347 posts
14 upvotes
I love Apple CarPlay for the ability to use Waze and its seamless integration with my iPhone. It works for me and I wouldn't buy another car without it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35229 posts
21214 upvotes
Center of Universe
Not important at all.
I rarely look at my infotainment screen when driving.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2002
2118 posts
553 upvotes
Central Ontario
Even my motorcycle has CarPlay... I wouldn't buy another car without it. Waze for the traffic reports is gold! Those who dismiss it haven't had it reroute you around a traffic jam.
Nov 14, 2010
958 posts
226 upvotes
I have it, it's not a big deal, and I don't use it often. I don't want to plug and unplug my phone every time I get in the car. I rather use a USB flash drive with music, or Bluetooth for audio. I've only used it a couple times to have directions / maps on a bigger screen. I found it not near as seamless an experience I was hoping for.
Jul 29, 2019
365 posts
247 upvotes
I use it a lot, primarily for Google Maps. Google Maps will always be better than the factory Maps plus you don't need to get the higher trim for it and Google Maps is always updated. Now the benefit of having Android Auto/Car Play is because of the bigger screen. You can simply buy a good phone holder that attaches to the dash or vents and it works great as well. I had a vent attachment I bought before getting a new car. As far as I understand, Ontario's distracted driving laws allow you to use the infotainment screen but not touch your phone at all unless you use voice commands.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36068 posts
10161 upvotes
Ottawa
Zero importance. Have been a Sirius user for years and it has way more of everything I need or like. Am able to get yearly subscription for less than $100.
As for navigation, my car has it so don't need my phone for that either.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
7365 posts
5387 upvotes
Kitchener
I absolutely HATED it in the 2019 Audi A4 I was driving, the 2020 Hyundai Sonata wasn't much better (but at least had a touchscreen). Been driving a Model 3 the last few years and having a built in, integrated system is just better than anything that connects with a cable to your phone.

Moving forward, I'm going to be running Waze on my phone as a supplementary measure because of all of the municipal speed cameras being installed. I recommend that EVERYONE just has Waze running at all times.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2969 posts
2878 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I will never buy a car im using as a daily driver that doesn't have Apply Carplay or Android Auto (preferably both). It's the biggest game changer I've used next to getting a car with cruise control. For older cars I just have to be able to retrofit a radio with it, newer cars I definitely want it to come with it from the factory for ease of use. Waze and/or Google Maps are requirements. Having a consistent and quick interface is a huge bonus. For a weekend or toy car its less of an issue.

Wireless CarPlay has also been very nice...
Nov 13, 2016
487 posts
266 upvotes
I have AA and love to use it - mostly waze even thought I have navigation. Worried that the frequent connection/disconnect of the cable will eventually wear out the charging port of my phone. Now I connect it only for selected trips or use waze on the phone. Will switch to a vehicle with wireless AA/AC in future.

CD
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6128 posts
4739 upvotes
Rob_EV wrote: Moving forward, I'm going to be running Waze on my phone as a supplementary measure because of all of the municipal speed cameras being installed. I recommend that EVERYONE just has Waze running at all times.
Doesn't matter how much you lover your factory system, it's still annoying without world wide app support. Does Tesla support Apple Music or Youtube Music yet on their HU? It's kinda stupid to have to pay them monthly for premium and I am still forced to switch to Spotify.

Even IOS 14.5 allows you to choose beyond Apple Music as streaming service now.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
7365 posts
5387 upvotes
Kitchener
Xtrema wrote: Doesn't matter how much you lover your factory system, it's still annoying without world wide app support. Does Tesla support Apple Music or Youtube Music yet on their HU? It's kinda stupid to have to pay them monthly for premium and I am still forced to switch to Spotify.

Even IOS 14.5 allows you to choose beyond Apple Music as streaming service now.
That stuff is coming...but I have premium connectivity for free (even if you didn't you can tether your phone as a hotspot) and I pay $3/month for Spotify (THANKS RFD Group Buys).
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22071 posts
2747 upvotes
I like how I can push Waze into the main display of the car but it's not a deal breaker
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14433 posts
8821 upvotes
Toronto
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18569 posts
2304 upvotes
Woodbridge
vkizzle wrote: Not important at all.
I rarely look at my infotainment screen when driving.
You mean you don't watch Seinfeld while driving/stuck in traffic? LOL

A have a friend, his girlfriend's brother watches in his FK8.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
3686 posts
838 upvotes
Brampton
Old guy here so humor me, I have never tried AA or carplay. What are the advantages over using a phone mounted to the dash?
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
6474 posts
1070 upvotes
It's a must have feature for me. Frankly, I haven't use the car navi much at all. The address entry and the bad real time traffic are the key reasons why I never use it. The Android auto is so much better as I can simply search the name of the shop or place and not having to worry about its address. Plus, any kind of music subscriptions can be easily played on the same interface. I know you can use BT, but it's not as good without the screen.