Computers & Electronics

Android Box reacts to Hisense TV Remote -- How Can I Fix This?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 15th, 2019 5:15 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2373 posts
814 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.

Android Box reacts to Hisense TV Remote -- How Can I Fix This?

I have a Hisense H7608 TV and a T95Q android box. The frequency of the android box is the same as that of the TV remote. At first I thought it was a couple of apps reacting to the TV remote, but it's the android box itself. I didn't have this issue with my prior android box.

If (for example) I push mute when I'm on certain apps, it puts in a "9" for every press and changes channels. If I'm playing back something and turn up the TV's volume (when I want the volume higher than the app's settings) it will move the playback time. On my home screen, the volume button moves me back and forth.

I know what would fix it -- that would be if I could change the TV remote's frequency or the box's frequency. I had to do this with Shaw Direct remotes in the past. But there's no way to change the TV remote frequency as far as I can tell. I even phoned Hisense to ask. There seems to be nothing on the android box that addresses this either. I contacted customer service for my android box, but they didn't understand my issue. It's no wonder, as it's kind of odd.

Anyone have an idea? Other than not to use the TV remote when I'm using the box.
If snitches get stitches, it stands to reason that Major League Baseball snitches get 108 stitches.
17 replies
Feb 12, 2017
45 posts
36 upvotes
Calgary
Android TV boxes can generally use USB input devices in lieu of a remote control. Thus, if you have USB keyboard or mouse handy, see if it can control your box before buying one to dedicate to the box. Alternatively, there are many USB wireless remote controls that have preprogrammed forward, playback, volume, etc controls. Most of the buttons on those remotes are universal except for the on/off button which may or may not work with your particular box.

These are examples of USB wireless remote controls.

https://www.amazon.ca/JUHANG-Wireless-K ... B075FRF3CR
https://www.amazon.ca/Dupad-Wireless-In ... B07GQRGWS7
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2373 posts
814 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
That's not my issue though. I have a mini-keyboard for the box, the box's own keyboard and even a Logitech keyboard that works with the box via Bluetooth. My issue is that my actual Hisense TV remote *does* work with the box because it's on the same frequency as the box by coincidence and I want it not to work. Because sometimes I need to use the TV remote when the box is on and the TV remote influences the box's behaviour.
If snitches get stitches, it stands to reason that Major League Baseball snitches get 108 stitches.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9681 posts
6083 upvotes
Edmonton
I’m no expert, but I doubt it’s the frequency. So I’d start with a multi-device remote that’s designed to work with both.

C
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2373 posts
814 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
The Hisense TV remote works on the android box, while the android box remote and mini-keyboard do not work on the TV. The mini-keyboard works via a USB receiver and without it attached, the TV remote still works on the android box. There must be something the android box responds to that's on the same frequency as the TV remote. I don't know what else could explain it. If there's another explanation, I'm happy to hear it because I'd really like to fix this.
Jul 14, 2005
665 posts
141 upvotes
If you can use the bluetooth keyboard i think the other remotes are IR? then you maybe able to tape off the IR receiver on your android box so it doesn't receive the signal.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2373 posts
814 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
That's some outside the android box thinking! It might work. I'm going to give that a try, but with my mini-keyboard that works with a USB receiver. The premise is the same. Thanks!
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30467 posts
5026 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I would remove the mini keyboard receiver and see if that solves the problem
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2373 posts
814 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
dmyvr wrote:
Mar 15th, 2019 2:13 am
If you can use the bluetooth keyboard i think the other remotes are IR? then you maybe able to tape off the IR receiver on your android box so it doesn't receive the signal.
So it worked. I hid the android box behind a speaker. The mini-keyboard still works with the USB receiver, but the remote that comes with the android box no longer works and -- more importantly -- the Hisense TV remote no longer works on the android box either. The only remote with an "On/Off" button is on the box's own remote, so I still have to use it for that function.
Last edited by TheHans on Mar 15th, 2019 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2373 posts
814 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
Gee wrote:
Mar 15th, 2019 7:38 am
I would remove the mini keyboard receiver and see if that solves the problem
I thought of that, but the issue was there right from the beginning and I didn't have the mini-keyboard at that point.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6460 posts
5032 upvotes
North York
I did not know changing frequencies on remotes were possible? Would you then not need to change both remote control and receiver part on the device itself (android TV box, TV)?
In your Shaw's case, I believe it was "open" to public, similar to this here:
https://support.bell.ca/tv/receivers/64 ... r_channels
where you had the option to choose 1 out of 16 preset frequency channels. where both remote and box were programmed with.
So unless you have this pre-setup option for either your tv-remote combo or android box-remote combo, I don't see how changing frequency is possible.

Similar to changing encoding/decoding on remote/device, you'd also need to change the whole system for it if there were no presets.

What I suggest, is cover the IR in either one of the devices TV, or android box. Let's say you cover the IRD of android box, then use the TV's remote and use the CEC function to control both TV and box.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9681 posts
6083 upvotes
Edmonton
konsensei wrote:
Mar 15th, 2019 2:40 pm
I did not know changing frequencies on remotes were possible? Would you then not need to change both remote control and receiver part on the device itself (android TV box, TV)?
In your Shaw's case, I believe it was "open" to public, similar to this here:
https://support.bell.ca/tv/receivers/64 ... r_channels
where you had the option to choose 1 out of 16 preset frequency channels. where both remote and box were programmed with.
So unless you have this pre-setup option for either your tv-remote combo or android box-remote combo, I don't see how changing frequency is possible.

Similar to changing encoding/decoding on remote/device, you'd also need to change the whole system for it if there were no presets.

What I suggest, is cover the IR in either one of the devices TV, or android box. Let's say you cover the IRD of android box, then use the TV's remote and use the CEC function to control both TV and box.
Some devices use RF to communicate, and yes, there would be channel ranges involved with those. Similar to WiFi. But most devices that use standard TV type remotes use IR, and AFAIK, there's no way to change the channel or frequency those are working at. I'm sure there's outliers that will make a liar out of me... :)

C
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2373 posts
814 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
konsensei wrote:
Mar 15th, 2019 2:40 pm
I'm just going to hide the IR receiver as @dmyvr suggested, as that works. It's Rube Goldberg, particularly because I still have to use the box's own remote to turn the box on and off. But that's a small price to pay not to have channels change or recordings skip backward and/or forward when I click a button from the Hisense TV remote. I hadn't thought of enabling the HDMI-CEC functionality for the turning on and off of the android box, so thanks for that suggestion, but that doesn't end up being so helpful for a couple of reasons.
Last edited by TheHans on Mar 15th, 2019 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2373 posts
814 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
CNeufeld wrote:
Mar 15th, 2019 3:22 pm
Some devices use RF to communicate, and yes, there would be channel ranges involved with those. Similar to WiFi. But most devices that use standard TV type remotes use IR, and AFAIK, there's no way to change the channel or frequency those are working at. I'm sure there's outliers that will make a liar out of me... :)
Based on the solution I'm using, it's clear now that for whatever reason, the Hisense TV remote is on the same IR frequency as the box's own remote. I doubt this issue is unique to me. IR functionality is extremely popular after all. Due to this, I was surprised I couldn't find an app that could alter the IR frequency of an Android device. Since there are plenty of apps that can act as an IR remote, what I needed didn't seem like much of a stretch. And after all, the frequency only has to be different for one of the devices, not both. So as long as one of the offending devices is Android, it would be useful. Someone with more programming smarts than me should design one. And if it's you, I get it for free for being the one with the idea. :-)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
8546 posts
1473 upvotes
Winnipeg
powering off the tvbox shouldn't really be an issue nor even warranted. Arguably all your doing is telling the tvbox to turn off the hdmi display. If you were to check power consumption thats about all its doing maybe killing usb too. But a box running around 5 watts will idle down on its own. Your saving maybe a watt.

You also have to remember that most of those tvbox can and do use cec. The advantage to the ir on the androidbox is it can actively now turn on the hdmi display while if its powered off thru cec, it can't re-enable it anymore. Since hdmi is where the cec signal runs.