• Aug 3rd, 2020 10:51 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3837 posts
2571 upvotes
Toronto

Android functions that no longer work

It's unfortunate that some functions that used to work on Android no longer do.

Anyone care to add to my list, and/or discuss?

1) automatic scheduled: a) on/off , b) on/off airplane mode, c) on/off data

2) automatic forwards of a text message. Passitforward was a great app.

I don't know why Google has the power to do away with such useful features like those.
11 replies
Dec 4, 2017
622 posts
316 upvotes
Autocorrect. It used to work VERY well up until Android 4.4 or maybe 5.0. At some point after that, it started requiring that the first 2-3 letters of longer words be correct before it would do anything useful. Not only are its automatic substitutions almost always wrong, but the short list of other choices that appear above the keyboard are usually rubbish as well. With the older versions of Android, I could practically mash the keyboard and it would intuit what I meant most of the time. Now I can take or leave it being enabled at all. I wonder whether there was some patent issue that made them change the algorithm.

Call recording. Due to security improvements, it is not practical to have a 3rd-party call recorder as of Android 9.0. Some phone manufacturers have built-in recording, but it's impractical to add on many phones after the fact. This as a major motivator for me to switch to VoIP and use an app that includes its own voice recording.

Flat UI. This became a fad many years ago among many operating systems. I absolutely hate it on a mobile device because it's so hard to tell what screen elements are actually touchable control buttons or modifiable text fields.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2598 posts
1550 upvotes
Calgary
Also bear in mind some features aren’t Android-specific, but rather manufacturer-specific. The auto on/off stuff for example. Samsung may have had it, but it was not baked into AOSP or “Google’s” version [“stock”)
Mar 2, 2017
287 posts
294 upvotes
beachlover wrote: automatic scheduled: a) on/off , b) on/off airplane mode, c) on/off data
Some things have indeed changed over the years. Starting with Jelly Bean, Google depreciated the API for 3rd party apps to access airplane mode. The API to access mobile data was depreciated with Lollipop. Many of these things are done the name of security.

Samsung (maybe other too) has added some of this functionality back in with their own customizations. Bixby routines still allows toggling of data and airplane mode. The catch is Samsung has elevated Bixby routines to a system app, so while it can do it, 3rd party apps still can't. Everyone complains about the bloat Samsung adds to their roms. But once in a while (probably by accident), some of their customizations are actually nice to have.
IanBrantford wrote: Autocorrect. It used to work VERY well up until Android 4.4 or maybe 5.0.
Wouldn't that be a function of the keyboard and not the os?

Personally, I think my biggest software gripe is how Doze can really delay some message notifications and there's little user control over it. On the hardware side, I miss dedicated notification LEDs. (Always on displays seem to be meant to fill the void, but they need a lot more configurability.) I also detest the never ending increase in screen sizes. A phone's greatest feature is portability, but when you can't even fit it in your pocket anymore, what's the point?

As for things I'd like to see, better battery controls would be nice. Some laptops can stop accepting charge at say 80% to help maintain battery health. If you don't need a full charge for your usual day, you can conveniently charge it over night and not have to worry about pushing the battery to its limits. I don't think I've ever heard of that as an official feature from a phone OEM.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3837 posts
2571 upvotes
Toronto
ddot98 wrote: Some laptops can stop accepting charge at say 80% to help maintain battery health.
Are you saying it's better for a battery to only be charged to 80% rather than 100%?
Good to know, if true.

I also like your idea of individual LED notification toggling. Have such a hard time trying to figure things out like that.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2598 posts
1550 upvotes
Calgary
beachlover wrote: Are you saying it's better for a battery to only be charged to 80% rather than 100%?
Good to know, if true.
For battery longevity, it’s best to keep the charge between 20-80% roughly. That said, nobody likes to mention the fact you’re already sacrificing 40% of the actual battery’s capacity to do so. That’s likely more than the loss in runtime you’re likely to experience over a few years even if you were charging to 100% overnight. It’s one of those things I just never really understood, but with how much people seem to obsess over the battery health percentage in iOS (OMG! it dropped to 99%!!!!!) I’m not that surprised.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3837 posts
2571 upvotes
Toronto
So, starting to think my old android 4.4 phones have become valuable again. At least to me.

Although another discussion might be about downloading available "APK"s, as I was successful putting PassItForward on a phone, as it's no longer on Google Play.
Mar 2, 2017
287 posts
294 upvotes
beachlover wrote: So, starting to think my old android 4.4 phones have become valuable again. At least to me.
Rooting is also an option if you want to go down that path. Even my idea of cutting off the battery charge at a specific value exists in the root world.

beachlover wrote: Although another discussion might be about downloading available "APK"s, as I was successful putting PassItForward on a phone, as it's no longer on Google Play.
Side loading apps has always been a major advantage of Android. APK Mirror has a pretty good collection of apps, including historical versions for most of them. They've also built up a fairly good reputation of only distributing unmodified and officially signed apps, so malware shouldn't be an issue (any more than installing the app direct from Google Play).

beachlover wrote: Are you saying it's better for a battery to only be charged to 80% rather than 100%?
As @Devhux said, keeping the battery between 20% - 80% seems to be the rule of thumb. This article at Battery University seems to be the one that people keep referencing. Lots of good info, but it's not exactly light reading. It basically boils down to not charging your phone to 100%, not draining it to 0% and not using fast chargers as they tend to heat the battery up.

And while the info is probably sound, you have to look at it relative to your usage patterns too. Your phone it supposed to add convenience to your life. If you tend to consume a full battery charge every day and partial charges would be inconvenient, then stop worrying. Charge it up when it's convenient or overnight and if the battery wears out, get a new one installed.

But if you're someone who typically only uses say 60% in a given day, then there's opportunity for improvement. Currently the most convenient option is typically to charge it up to 100% overnight, drop down to 40% the next day and repeat. But if instead you could charge it up overnight, have it cut out at 80%, drop to 20% the next day and repeat, then there's going to be more capacity in the battery a couple years down the road. If you decide to keep that phone for another couple years or maybe just need a full charge for a busy day, then you've got it. It just seems like a simple feature with upside for some and no downside for those that don't want to use it. But a feature to extend device life doesn't really fit with the ideas of planned obsolescence.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3376 posts
3711 upvotes
Montreal
Call confirm.

I had an app that requires pressing OK to initiate a call (avoids pocket dials and orher accidental dialing).

Most recent Android doesn't allow this anymore.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3837 posts
2571 upvotes
Toronto
FrancisBacon wrote: Call confirm.

I had an app that requires pressing OK to initiate a call (avoids pocket dials and orher accidental dialing).

Most recent Android doesn't allow this anymore.
I'm guessing you don't use any screen locks then.

This one might be warranted because of general security protection. Because a malicious app being allowed to control the phone dialing procedure could be problematic. Especially if a hostile actor put out a million 911 calls, say on election day.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3837 posts
2571 upvotes
Toronto
An app mentioned by ddot98 where you could schedule a turning on or off of airplane mode would be most useful to me. Anyone know the name of that app or any similar apps, so I can try the APK route?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3837 posts
2571 upvotes
Toronto
ddot98 wrote:
Side loading apps has always been a major advantage of Android. APK Mirror has a pretty good collection of apps, including historical versions for most of them. They've also built up a fairly good reputation of only distributing unmodified and officially signed apps, so malware shouldn't be an issue (any more than installing the app direct from Google Play).
I looked at APK Mirror. Found nothing as to apps I knew existed. So although it might be trusted, if it has purged the apps we're looking for, it can't help. Maybe Google went after them? Gonna have to go elsewhere.