• Last Updated:
  • Feb 7th, 2018 11:07 am
[OP]
Jan 23, 2009
748 posts
880 upvotes
Ontario

Android-PC USB External Infrared (IR)

I was able to port/install Android 7.1 on a Dell PC to use as Media Center then I ordered from amazon remote control with USB External Infrared (IR) Media Center Receiver however the remote control is a cheap Chinese made and now having problem with the remote control itself so my question since I already have the USB External Infrared (IR) working fine on the android 7.1 would I be able to program / pair any other remote to work with that USB External Infrared (IR) receiver ie android box remote, TV remote etc...
Any info will be greatly appreciated and thanks
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6884 posts
5799 upvotes
Burlington
that is a very long sentence. Have you ever had to write an essay?

That aside, no. There's nothing to "program" another remote. You don't see a Sony TV remote working on an LG TV, do you?
[OP]
Jan 23, 2009
748 posts
880 upvotes
Ontario
konsensei wrote: that is a very long sentence. Have you ever had to write an essay?

That aside, no. There's nothing to "program" another remote. You don't see a Sony TV remote working on an LG TV, do you?
clue·less
ˈklo͞oləs/Submit
adjectiveinformal
having no knowledge, understanding, or ability.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6884 posts
5799 upvotes
Burlington
agit wrote: clue·less
ˈklo͞oləs/Submit
adjectiveinformal
If you are so clued (having so many clues, good "knowledge, understanding, and ability"), why did you even ask?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3396 posts
409 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
I think OP's question is: Is there any other remote that can be paired with his current IR receiver-enabled Android 7.1 machine?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6884 posts
5799 upvotes
Burlington
loserga wrote: I think OP's question is: Is there any other remote that can be paired with his current IR receiver-enabled Android 7.1 machine?
which I already answered No.
Then he called me cluecless.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3396 posts
409 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
His IR receiver is not a locked down TV, so I don't see why you'd give a straight no.
Feb 26, 2011
814 posts
871 upvotes
Calgary
agit wrote: clue·less
ˈklo͞oləs/Submit
adjectiveinformal
That's a rude way to reply to someone who answered your question. There is nothing you can do to "program" another remote to work with your receiver.

Anyhow, Downvoting your thread.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6884 posts
5799 upvotes
Burlington
loserga wrote: His IR receiver is not a locked down TV, so I don't see why you'd give a straight no.
I don't see how it could work.
For any remote without learning function, it's almost no chance. You'd be lucky to have a remote sending the required binary codes to the IR receiver.

For a programmable/universal remote:
1. the chance you are able to find brand and model of the receiver from a Chinese receiver is almost 0. and
2. you can't let the IR learning remote learn the IR codes of each button when the original remote doesn't function well. You can't tell if the remote or the receiver are defect, or they are even matching. OP said his remote is having problem. But seeing how he called me 'clueless', I don't know if he knows if the remote, or receiver, or both are defect.

If you initially have a fully working set of remote+receiver. You can definitely let an IR remote to learn the IR codes because they do indeed work.
[OP]
Jan 23, 2009
748 posts
880 upvotes
Ontario
loserga wrote: His IR receiver is not a locked down TV, so I don't see why you'd give a straight no.
That is correct and every remote uses codes for every key. Ive done that under Windows 7 just need to download few programs to monitor and see the code. However I am new in porting Android to x86 so have no idea where to start
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6884 posts
5799 upvotes
Burlington
agit wrote: That is correct and every remote uses codes for every key. Ive done that under Windows 7 just need to download few programs to monitor and see the code. However I am new in porting Android to x86 so have no idea where to start
You sound smart but are you really?

smart-a$$
ˈsmärdas/Submit
informal
noun
noun: smarta$$
a person who is irritating because they behave as if they know everything.
"for a know-it-all smart-a$$ like me, it was a humbling experience"

And if it is just the difference between Windows and Android, why can't you just hook up the receiver to a Windows computer, "download few programs to monitor and see the code", then program another remote to those codes? Well guess what, you can't, and let me tell you why, clueless smartass!

In order for an IR Remote A and receiver A to work, Remote A will send binary codes to Receiver A. Receiver A then decodes and send the signal to the TV. So you want a Remote X to work with Receiver A, you have 2 options:

1. if you are planning to program Remote X to work with this Receiver A. You need to know what codes a perfectly working Remote A is sending to Receiver A. Can you? NO, because at the moment, you can't tell if Remote A or Receiver A or both not working.

2. if you are programming Receiver A (if there's such a thing to program this receiver) to work with Remote X. You need to know what working codes Remote X is sending to its matching Receiver X. If you don't have Receiver X, how is it going to work? And if you already have Receiver X, why not just hook up Receiver X to the android and use Remote X?

I am sure you are smart enough to be able to read and understand. Regardless, you are still an a.hole, a smarta.hole
Mar 7, 2011
164 posts
120 upvotes
Moronto
agit wrote: I won’t stoop down to your level.
Good for you. I think it was "Ed The Sock" that stated it was better to be a smarta$$ than a dumba$$.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
1543 posts
464 upvotes
Oakville
I am pretty sure OP is using a generic USB IR receiver that were common with MSE like this item.
https://www.amazon.com/HP-Infrared-Rece ... B00KDNIRYA

They are designed to pick up all IR signals and not just the signals for a specific remote. The application just need the IR code mapping to specific functions. These were commonly used with girder for automation and htpc. Still commonly used with raspberry pi to control kodi when tv doesn't support CEC. In these situations, you defined the remote in the application. I used one with my htpc and programmed my own remote and keys.

As for use under android port to windows...no idea but probably need to fin different app that allows configuring the remote.
[OP]
Jan 23, 2009
748 posts
880 upvotes
Ontario
cba123 wrote: I am pretty sure OP is using a generic USB IR receiver that were common with MSE like this item.

They are designed to pick up all IR signals and not just the signals for a specific remote. The application just need the IR code mapping to specific functions. These were commonly used with girder for automation and htpc. Still commonly used with raspberry pi to control kodi when tv doesn't support CEC. In these situations, you defined the remote in the application. I used one with my htpc and programmed my own remote and keys.

As for use under android port to windows...no idea but probably need to fin different app that allows configuring the remote.
Yes i am using similar USB IR receiver but i ported Android 7.1 standalone to a Dell computer without Windows much faster and cleaner.

Under Windows 7 OS i was able as you stated to get the remote mapping into a file under windows/systems but as i said i am new in porting Android 7.1 standalone to X86 PC and lol have no idea where to start under Android but Android standalone on a PC x86 like having android Box but faster and better then Libreelec or Noobs and can be upgrade to new OS also under Android 7.1 on x86 i can install and run any app from the Android play store

thanks you for your input and still hoping for some help
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6884 posts
5799 upvotes
Burlington
agit wrote: I won’t stoop down to your level.
O geez, so classy, so educated, yet write everything as one sentence. What level are you at?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6884 posts
5799 upvotes
Burlington
cba123 wrote: I am pretty sure OP is using a generic USB IR receiver that were common with MSE like this item.

True MCE remote and receiver do not work with Android, they only work in Windows, they use RC6 signal. I already did a lot of research on this trying to get my old MCE remote and keyboard to work with my android boxes.

IR remote that works on Android is not MCE, they are NEC signals, a complete different Ir protocol to RC6! 100%guaranteed. It only sends the code to the receiver, and receiver decodes and sends to the Android as if the codes were mouse and keyboard signals.

But really you never know. OP is so many levels above me, he will make a break through to get NEC signals and RC6 signals work together.
Dec 31, 2015
136 posts
85 upvotes
toronto
konsensei wrote: O geez, so classy, so educated, yet write everything as one sentence. What level are you at?
His long sentence gave me headache. Only a cocky a-hole writes that way..
[OP]
Jan 23, 2009
748 posts
880 upvotes
Ontario
tylerlee62888 wrote: His long sentence gave me headache. Only a cocky a-hole writes that way..
No class, Low-life person and I won’t stoop down to your level.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6884 posts
5799 upvotes
Burlington
Good luck helping this arrogant and ignorant fool. As I now have explained in details why NO is still the answer, I don't believe the fool would wake up from his delusion of "if things don't work my way, they are obviously wrong"