• Last Updated:
  • Feb 23rd, 2021 11:38 am
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 29, 2013
8 posts
1 upvote

Android phones

Hello,

My S8 screen broke and I don't think I'll be able to replace the screen and digitizer without damaging anything else. Lol. This is my secondary phone so it doesn't need to be fancy.

I'm looking for to buy any brand of android phone. An S8 on ebay is around $180 on ebay.
Would an S8 be my best option? Perhaps newer non-flagship phones have exceeded S8 specs?
10 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
18959 posts
6860 upvotes
Socially Distanced
How much are you willing to spend?
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
12070 posts
6955 upvotes
Markham
Curious why do ppl need a "secondary phone". PIXEL 3 might be a interesting option...just discovered they can do SIM and eSim for dual sim capability which might be great for travel.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21737 posts
15942 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
gr8dlr wrote: Curious why do ppl need a "secondary phone".
1. Backup. For many people the loss of their smartphone could be devastating and the time it takes to buy a replacement may be inconvenient.
2. Testing. I like to install new software, especially from other than well-known sources on my primary phone until I've had a chance to try it out on a backup phone.
3. Multiple accounts. While Android allows more than one Google account on a device, things can get messy and/or complicated if one account is in Canada and another is in the US (or elsewhere.) [I'm speaking from experience.]
4. Travelling. Install minimal personal info in second phone so that if it gets seized at the border there's nothing really private for the authorities to rummage through.
5. Travelling. If the primary phone has only one SIM slot then it may be simpler to have a second phone for use while travelling. (Yes, a dual-SIM phone may be better but not every phone has that feature.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
18959 posts
6860 upvotes
Socially Distanced
bylo wrote: 1. Backup. For many people the loss of their smartphone could be devastating and the time it takes to buy a replacement may be inconvenient.
2. Testing. I like to install new software, especially from other than well-known sources on my primary phone until I've had a chance to try it out on a backup phone.
3. Multiple accounts. While Android allows more than one Google account on a device, things can get messy and/or complicated if one account is in Canada and another is in the US (or elsewhere.) [I'm speaking from experience.]
4. Travelling. Install minimal personal info in second phone so that if it gets seized at the border there's nothing really private for the authorities to rummage through.
5. Travelling. If the primary phone has only one SIM slot then it may be simpler to have a second phone for use while travelling. (Yes, a dual-SIM phone may be better but not every phone has that feature.)
6. Work. Especially if your employer insists on forcing you to install software (tracking, monitoring and file deletion ability) that would make the government blush.

That said most people don't need a secondary phone, and i would never buy one, i would use an old phone instead of throwing it away.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21737 posts
15942 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Quentin5 wrote: 6. Work.
+1
Especially if your employer insists on forcing you to install software (tracking, monitoring and file deletion ability) that would make the government blush.
Or if your employer would blush if they saw what you installed on "their" phone :)
That said most people don't need a secondary phone, and i would never buy one, i would use an old phone instead of throwing it away.
That would be my first choice. But I had to buy a second phone after my old Nexus 5 died.

I suppose a 7. might be to intentionally buy a new phone every 2 or 3 years with the intention of keeping the old one as the secondary phone, then continuing to rotate phones every 2 to 3 years. Doing that with mid-range phones my be a better option than buying a new flagship every 4 to 6 years.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
18959 posts
6860 upvotes
Socially Distanced
bylo wrote: Or if your employer would blush if they saw what you installed on "their" phone :)
I had seen an old Ask A Manager article the other day on this topic, commenters were telling their stories of employers who demanded they install such software on their personal phones or else face consequences up to and including termination.
That would be my first choice. But I had to buy a second phone after my old Nexus 5 died.
Yeah, my Nexus 4 died not long after i got my current phone, though when the battery went it was working better then my G6 Play works today
I suppose a 7. might be to intentionally buy a new phone every 2 or 3 years with the intention of keeping the old one as the secondary phone, then continuing to rotate phones every 2 to 3 years. Doing that with mid-range phones my be a better option than buying a new flagship every 4 to 6 years.
Considering you can often buy 4-6 midranges for the price of a flagship it would make more sense to replace the midrange every 2 years than buy a flagship.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 5, 2008
13649 posts
7780 upvotes
Toronto
Motorola G, 2 models around $200 at Costco
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21737 posts
15942 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Quentin5 wrote: I had seen an old Ask A Manager article the other day on this topic, commenters were telling their stories of employers who demanded they install such software on their personal phones or else face consequences up to and including termination.
I think you may have missed my attempt at humour, i.e. that another reason to have separate work and personal phones is that if you used one phone for both and your employer had some monitoring software on it, they might blush when they saw what personal stuff some people have on their phones. Think selfies, pr0n, etc.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
12070 posts
6955 upvotes
Markham
There's a ONE PLus 5 on BST I believe for $150. Dual SIM [passive] to boot.

one-plus-5-6gb-ram-64gb-rom-150-2421995/

I'd look at Pixel 3 which is dual SIM + eSim but might be a bit more $.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!

Top