• Last Updated:
  • Apr 27th, 2021 10:49 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17710 posts
764 upvotes

Android sim card to iPhone?

My wife is switching from her pixel 4 xl to an iphone. I have read online that the sims should just transfer over, which should make things easier.

Are there any goofy things that can happen when you do this? We bought the iPhone outright but have about 6 more months of our contract with Telus to pay off.

Not sure if that matters.

Can I just pull the sim from the pixel and drop it in the iPhone and it will work?

We have never done this before so we just want to make sure we do this right.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
3628 posts
833 upvotes
Toronto
Super strokey wrote: Can I just pull the sim from the pixel and drop it in the iPhone and it will work?
yup, there should be no issues in terms of functionality by swapping sim cards. your iphone should be able to pick up and send calls/sms/data using the same sim card

transferring files from the pixel to the iphone may be a different issue, however
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4402 posts
3879 upvotes
Toronto
chroma_cg wrote: yup, there should be no issues in terms of functionality by swapping sim cards. your iphone should be able to pick up and send calls/sms/data using the same sim card

transferring files from the pixel to the iphone may be a different issue, however
To further clarify, yes, your iphone will work, but it will be completely "clean". You will not have your contacts, apps, texting history, bookmarks, etc. etc. etc.
Mar 20, 2012
25 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Correct, the biggest misnomer people have as jm1 said, is that their information will transfer with the sim. While sim cards can hold a certain amount of contacts if manually done, it's something you really only saw with flips or early BB's. Photo transferring from the pixel to the iphone and contacts can be done easily using your google account or ofc a pc.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17710 posts
764 upvotes
jm1 wrote: To further clarify, yes, your iphone will work, but it will be completely "clean". You will not have your contacts, apps, texting history, bookmarks, etc. etc. etc.
We figured that. I think there is an app on the Play store to do the transfer
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1174 posts
1532 upvotes
Waterloo Region
Super strokey wrote: My wife is switching from her pixel 4 xl to an iphone. I have read online that the sims should just transfer over, which should make things easier.

Are there any goofy things that can happen when you do this? We bought the iPhone outright but have about 6 more months of our contract with Telus to pay off.

Not sure if that matters.

Can I just pull the sim from the pixel and drop it in the iPhone and it will work?

We have never done this before so we just want to make sure we do this right.
SIM cards aren't phone specific. So you can just "Plug and Play" without issues. However, look for solutions to transfer from Android to iphones, to ensure a smooth transition.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17710 posts
764 upvotes
Appreciate all the feedback.

Will I need to notify Telus of the change or will it "just work"?
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1705 posts
1204 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Transferring a SIM from an Android phone (or any phone) to an iPhone won't be an issue.

However, if you are transferring your SIM from an iPhone to a non-iPhone, there are certain steps that you need to do (dealing with iMessage) otherwise you will find that when iPhone people send you a message, you won't receive it on your Android phone.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
1587 posts
1260 upvotes
Montreal
Super strokey wrote: Appreciate all the feedback.

Will I need to notify Telus of the change or will it "just work"?
You don't need to contact anyone.

I believe wether it's Apple or Pixel (or whatever other company that sells phones) while setting up you you new phone, it will ask you if you want to transfer photos, videos, etc from the old phone while using a USB cable. Don't know if this feature still exist nowadays. I personally never used this feature.
Mar 20, 2012
25 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Super strokey wrote: We figured that. I think there is an app on the Play store to do the transfer
When setting up the new iPhone it will ask if you wish to transfer data from another device. Transferring 'like' devices of course are much smoother. Usually photos/videos and contacts are the most important for people. Her pixel should've saved all photos and video to google photos. To double check, on the pixel open the google photos app, sim card doesn't have to be in it, just be on wifi. On your PC open chrome, go to the top right hand corner, click google apps and scroll down to find photos. You should see the photos there if properly backed up (her account has to be signed in ofc). If there are more than what is given space wise by google , you will have to pay $3 a month for storage.
This way, they don't have to be on the iPhone taking up storage and also Icloud only gives you 5gigs for cloud storage for free. So usually you don't want to bog down your new storage with year old photos when they can be kept elsewhere. You can download google apps on the iPhone and that will also give her access to her photos. Once signed into google account on the iPhone, contacts should transfer automatically as well.

:)
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5100 posts
1550 upvotes
0 downvotes
the op didn't ask about transferring data from one phone to another, the op simply asked "will it work" and the simple answer is Yes it will work. If the op wants to know how to transfer pictures, videos, contacts from one device to another he or she will ask, maybe he or she already knows the answer hence why it was not asked
Hi
Mar 20, 2012
25 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
GoodFellaz wrote: the op didn't ask about transferring data from one phone to another, the op simply asked "will it work" and the simple answer is Yes it will work. If the op wants to know how to transfer pictures, videos, contacts from one device to another he or she will ask, maybe he or she already knows the answer hence why it was not asked
In post 5 he eludes to that, so I thought I'd give suggestions on transferring stuff! MY BAD for trying to help someone on a forum lol.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5100 posts
1550 upvotes
0 downvotes
Its not a bad thing you did, however everyone's different I would have merely answered their question and kept it at that but thanks for offering to help on another issue.
Hi
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33861 posts
7498 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Super strokey wrote: We figured that. I think there is an app on the Play store to do the transfer
Don’t need an app, when you setup your iPhone for the first time, it will ask if you are transferring from Android. Just follow the instructions on the screen and it will transfer all your data over