• Jun 14th, 2014 11:37 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54662 posts
19455 upvotes

[Android] SwiftKey Keyboard completely free to download on Google Play

Deal Link:
Just got this email this morning. I guess in-app purchases is key for revenue growth.

For those who got it from the Amazon appstore:
phoenix96 wrote:
For amazon app store - Even if you had purchased from the amazon app store with the free credits or coins :) you can get the theme pack for free. All you have to do is
1) Inside the swiftkey app, sign in with the google account first (If you didn't) and then uninstall.
2) Then install the updated version in android playstore. Go to settings > themes and layout. There you can get your theme pack for free which is worth 4.99$.

Thought it is worth to mention here. If not, mods please move the thread. Thanks!

=====

Hello everyone,

Today, we're very excited to bring you a major update to SwiftKey Keyboard in the Google Play store, which includes many new features that are a direct result of your feedback. To mark the occasion we're giving you a gift!

Consistently, our #1 user request is for a wider range of themes, the colors and designs that enable you to personalize your SwiftKey experience. With today's announcement, we're happy to bring you dozens of new free and premium themes, which can be accessed in the brand new SwiftKey Store. This is a great way for us to invest in quality design and let everyone get the most choice with their SwiftKey experience. In today's update there are now 48 themes in SwiftKey Keyboard, and more are coming soon.

To say thanks for your support as a paid SwiftKey user, we're giving you a 'Premier Pack' of 10 new premium themes worth $4.99 for free! Instructions on how to get these themes can be found here.

Additional new features in SwiftKey Keyboard v5 include:

Support for over 800 emoji, plus a new emoji prediction feature
Optional number row
Enhanced Flow accuracy
Improved prediction engine
More languages
...and much more
To get this new version of SwiftKey, head to Google Play and update for free.

Also, from today, SwiftKey Keyboard will be completely free to download on Google Play! We want to take a moment to give you a bit more information and explain some of the thinking behind this exciting change.

We've come an incredibly long way these past six years, from two university friends with an ambitious idea, to becoming the global best-selling app on Google Play the past two years running. We founded SwiftKey to make it easier for everyone to create and communicate on their mobile devices, and as a company we're working hard to reach that goal.

This is why today we are making SwiftKey free. We believe this change is the best way to achieve our global vision for SwiftKey, as we can now reach many more people around the world without price as a barrier. That said, we want to reassure you that the SwiftKey features you have come to know and love will remain yours.

As a final note, we'll be running a Reddit AMA to discuss the new SwiftKey Keyboard (and anything else you might want to bring up) in the near future. We'll announce specific time and date details in the days ahead, and really hope you'll take part.

Thank you, again, for your continued support,

Jon Reynolds & Ben Medlock
SwiftKey co-founders
32 replies
Aug 26, 2007
117 posts
76 upvotes
People who paid for app will get 5 themes for free or something like that.

[QUOTE]To say thanks for your support as a paid SwiftKey user, we're giving you a 'Premier Pack' of 10 new premium themes worth $4.99 for free! Instructions on how to get these themes can be found here.[/QUOTE]

Found it.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2004
1052 posts
117 upvotes
Dotard wrote: People who paid for app will get 5 themes for free or something like that.

Found it.
I purchased from amazon instead, will I be able to get free premium themes?
Dec 22, 2008
105 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto
Used to be $4, now free. If you paid for it already, looks like the company will give you $5 worth of themes.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2012
2713 posts
2277 upvotes
Toronto
How will they make money now?
Sep 3, 2007
138 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks Op. To clarify, there are 10 free themes for those who have paid.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2012
5216 posts
4346 upvotes
Toronto
Heard many recommended it, never tried it however, maybe I'll try it out now thanks.
Mar 17, 2008
661 posts
162 upvotes
I must have tried every android keyboard out there and SwiftKey is the only one that lets me use French & English together (aka in the same sentence) without having to switch or toggle anything.

Though, I wish that I could blacklist some wrong suggestions that pop up all the time.
Sep 3, 2007
138 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
zobi123 wrote: How will they make money now?
Make money through the new $.99 themes or $4.99 theme packs.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
2005 posts
2024 upvotes
zobi123 wrote: How will they make money now?
their new business model is based around selling your sext messages to websites that specialize in non-fiction erotica .
Feb 4, 2007
31 posts
3 upvotes
heredago wrote: I must have tried every android keyboard out there and SwiftKey is the only one that lets me use French & English together (aka in the same sentence) without having to switch or toggle anything.

Though, I wish that I could blacklist some wrong suggestions that pop up all the time.
press and hold on the suggestion and it'll ask if you never want it predicted again.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54662 posts
19455 upvotes
Ismality wrote: press and hold on the suggestion and it'll ask if you never want it predicted again.
I thought so too as I have been asked a few times just this week if I wanted those words to be removed from the prediction dictionary. My fat fingers at work I guess.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54662 posts
19455 upvotes
The undock feature of the keyboard is great too as you can move it around text or fields (well, at least on my Kobo 10" tablet)

Hoping Swiftkey comes up with a virtual trackpad/mouse in the near future.
Jan 22, 2012
209 posts
73 upvotes
Waterloo
I've always used Swype and haven't even tried Swiftkey because of the cost. Seems like now is the time!

Can anyone who uses it regularly give me some highlights about what makes it so good, or any shortcuts or anything that wouldn't be immediately obvious?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54662 posts
19455 upvotes
cjohnson03 wrote: I've always used Swype and haven't even tried Swiftkey because of the cost. Seems like now is the time!

Can anyone who uses it regularly give me some highlights about what makes it so good, or any shortcuts or anything that wouldn't be immediately obvious?
It has the FLOW feature, similar to SWYPE.

Prediction can be quite good especially when you sign in using your gmail or fb account, though not everyone wants to lose any little privacy they have.

Not sure if there are shortcuts and would like to know too. I don't type as much on my tablet but hey, I got it when it was on sale for 25 cents. Now it's free so there's no reason not to get it.
Oct 22, 2012
206 posts
63 upvotes
out east
I've always used Swype as well and I love it. I had tried it as part of some promotion before and still prefered Swype for the predicitons as well as multi-language support (French and English). I'll give it a second chance and see. I did get the free themes for being a loyal customer though! lol
Jun 10, 2007
264 posts
93 upvotes
Whitehorse
Looks like those who have previously purchased SwiftKey Tablet (Legacy) also get the free themes pack. Which is good too.... as I was having trouble with the old version.
Aug 15, 2007
581 posts
141 upvotes
Toronto
FYI, I uninstalled the version of Swiftkey that I got from Amazon Appstore's FAOTD and installed from google play, and was prompted to download the $4.99 theme pack for free. Figured I'd prefer the faster updates from google, but got a nice bonus. YMMV

Note: Uninstalled the Amazon version through Google Play (ie. Searched for Swiftkey on Google Play, hit uninstall, then install). Not sure if it matters.