[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
1232 posts
446 upvotes
London, ON

android tv apps - side load apps to fire stick and country restrictions

two questions...

some apps I use on my android tv shield and the new google tv chromecast aren't available in the amazon fire store app, is there a way to get the actually android tv apks?

and second question,, my firestick is based in the US - is there a way to get canadian content on it? like global or cbc?
4 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1538 posts
1836 upvotes
BC
sk1001 wrote: two questions...

some apps I use on my android tv shield and the new google tv chromecast aren't available in the amazon fire store app, is there a way to get the actually android tv apks?

and second question,, my firestick is based in the US - is there a way to get canadian content on it? like global or cbc?
Install an "App Backup" app such as App Backup and Restore on your device to create the APKs.

If you already got the apps installed on your phone, then just install Apps2Fire from the PlayStore and use that to push the app onto the Firestick that is connected on the same
Wifi network.

To get Canadian content on the firestick, you need to change the Country that is set for your content and devices in your Amazon account.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
1232 posts
446 upvotes
London, ON
WetCoastGuy wrote: Install an "App Backup" app such as App Backup and Restore on your device to create the APKs.

If you already got the apps installed on your phone, then just install Apps2Fire from the PlayStore and use that to push the app onto the Firestick that is connected on the same
Wifi network.

To get Canadian content on the firestick, you need to change the Country that is set for your content and devices in your Amazon account.

You can install this App Back up on the shield?

I knew about Apps2Fire, but that sends the phone version of the phone, i was trying to get specific android tv versions
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1538 posts
1836 upvotes
BC
What android tv apps are you using that you can't just get from the source?

For Firestick apps, there are a number of FileLink stores just dedicated to apps that work on the Firestick. Just search YouTube for "movie and TV apps to install on Firestick" and get the FileLink codes you can use.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2003
1860 posts
270 upvotes
COU
There's an app called "downloader" or something for the Fire.

Add that and there is a browser in it that you can browse to the site where the apk is. as a practical matter, it isn't the best browser so it is best to find the url on a proper computer and just type it into the browser.

From there you can install the apk.

I'm sorry I can't give you the blow by blow but my devices aren't available right now. There are a number of internet pages describing the process.

As usual not everything that works on android tv works on fire and vice versa. For example, Firefox for Fire is great there but practically useless on my Shield.