Personal Finance

Angus Reid poll reports that 73 percent of respondents are in good or great financial shape in early stages of pandemic

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 7th, 2020 4:35 pm
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4565 posts
4616 upvotes
Vancouver
Like many polls, this is big on presenting results and a little short on key information:

- Who are the "Canadians" surveyed? How were they selected and contacted?

- Over exactly what dates was this data obtained? With the outlook changing rapidly on a daily basis, that's critical to know. The poll mentions data in March and the first few days of April, but it's not clear what date range the headline charts include.

I'm sure this information can be found somewhere by drilling down, but it's not prominently offered.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
3721 posts
792 upvotes
centre of universe
I remember there was survey that "Majority of Canadians living paycheque to paycheque: survey"

The index, which examines how affordable life is in Canada, shows that over half (53%) of Canadians are living paycheque to paycheque and one in four (25%) say their debt load is overwhelming. More than one-quarter (27%) don’t have enough for their daily needs.

So with this crisis more people should be worried. I know Angus Reid is good at what they do but I am confused how 61% are in good shape.
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
New Mantra for idiots Just ask RFD before searching answers anywhere.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
8323 posts
4277 upvotes
I would like to know who paid for the poll as I find alot of these polls are politically driven and are designed to control what the masses think. It would be interesting to be given the full background of how the study was conducted and a summation of the raw data so that the audience can make their own conclusions about what the results mean.

I have been hearing repeatedly for the past several years how Canadians rank really high amongst the world in carrying extremely high personal debt to income ratios (currently 178% or so) and that this is a bad place to be. How does one reconcile this information with the results presented for this study? Are we supposed to think that Canadians are totally disconnected from reality in thinking that their finances are fine even though their debtload is so high?

Also, I have seen a LOT of people concerned about qualifying for benefits due to the virus situation. Renters seemed to be completely panicked as well with coming up with their April 1st rent payment. Based on the government's unprecedented $82 billion aid package, I don't know if the government feels that Canadians are able to weather this storm without their assistance financially. How do we reconcile this data point to the results of the survey?

Just an observer and trying to connect the dots in a world where one actually has to dig to find the real truth.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
1526 posts
850 upvotes
I'm one of those

I work in healthcare.

This is just a blip (3-4months) for me
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3898 posts
3354 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: Like many polls, this is big on presenting results and a little short on key information:

- Who are the "Canadians" surveyed? How were they selected and contacted?

- Over exactly what dates was this data obtained? With the outlook changing rapidly on a daily basis, that's critical to know. The poll mentions data in March and the first few days of April, but it's not clear what date range the headline charts include.

I'm sure this information can be found somewhere by drilling down, but it's not prominently offered.
It's in the link that is provided.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1600 posts
601 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I keep hearing amazingly low numbers of employed people being laid off due to the coronavirus.

I suspect a few paycheque-to-paycheque people are actually getting paid more for the next four months or so.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4565 posts
4616 upvotes
Vancouver
skeet50 wrote: It's in the link that is provided.
Where? Quote text if possible, thanks...
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3898 posts
3354 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: Yes, I followed the link, read the article. My question stands...
At the link provided if you scroll to the bottom of the page there is a link to read the full report, including detailed tables and methodology.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4565 posts
4616 upvotes
Vancouver
skeet50 wrote: At the link provided if you scroll to the bottom of the page there is a link to read the full report, including detailed tables and methodology.
I see it, thanks - the link was kind of buried in the middle of the footnotes.

The pdf report says:

"METHODOLOGY:
The Angus Reid Institute conducted an online survey from March
April 1 – 3, 2020
[sic - March dates missing] among a representative randomized sample of
2,162 Canadian adults who are members of Angus Reid Forum. For
comparison purposes only, a probability sample of this size would
carry a margin of error of +/- 2.0 percentage points, 19 times out of
20. Discrepancies in or between totals are due to rounding. The
survey was self-commissioned and paid for by ARI. Detailed tables
are found at the end of this release."

Yeah, right. So for "Canadians", read "members of Angus Reid Forum". :rolleyes:
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
3957 posts
4139 upvotes
Great, we can scrap the CERB and EI then. Thanks for clarifying that we can get rid of this massive amount of spend because clearly people don't need it

/s?
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.