• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2022 7:14 pm
Tags:
Feb 4, 2018
815 posts
2007 upvotes
Toronto

Anise Seed Bread

I do not care for licorice flavour, but I do like this bread very much. The licorice flavour in this bread is subtle: from anise seeds that I mash with my mortar and pestle and a small measure of anise seed extract. When toasted, this bread is delicious with butter or EVOO. I am making loaves to give to my husband's family and to friends. They pair this bread with "garlic pork", a Guyanese-Portuguese dish that is usually enjoyed at Christmas. The garlic pork production is currently underway this January (Omicron and illness played havoc with our Christmas cooking this past year). My husband and his "bros" are tending to the garlic pork, about 40 lbs. of it--tomorrow they undertake Stage 2 of Garlic Pork.

Years ago we would buy "anise seed bread" from local bakeries. I never understood how their bread could be kept on hand, for months, and not stale. And then I read the ingredients on the packaging--most of which I could not pronounce--they were all chemicals! So the search began for a recipe for anise seed bread. And I found one that we all seem to like.

This is the first pair of about 20 loaves that I will be making.
Anise Seed Bread.jpg
The ocean is calling.........and I must go.
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7949 posts
3608 upvotes
That bread looks and sounds delicious. And Garlic Pork, I'll bet everyone wants you to share the recipe.
Feb 4, 2018
815 posts
2007 upvotes
Toronto
bonterra wrote: That bread looks and sounds delicious. And Garlic Pork, I'll bet everyone wants you to share the recipe.
My husband has a detailed recipe. Once he locates it, I will ask him to scan it so I can attach it. He says that Portuguese families in Guyana would each have their own spin on preparation. Stages 1 and 2 are 3 days apart. Most of Stage 2 is done in the garage (frying of all the meat chunks). The scent is extremely pungent--if it was done indoors it might kill house plants!Smiling Face With Open Mouth Garlic pork is very flavourful--the anise seed bread soaks up any liquid, thyme, and bits of garlic--makes for a nice combination.

I have a tech deficit problem. This recipe is saved on my desktop as a pdf file. I am unable to upload this pdf file into RFD. In the past, I have successfully uploaded my "photos", and "links" to items of interest, but I'm not tech-savvy enough to work this out. Maybe the 12-year-old a few doors away can help...........
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2003
10476 posts
656 upvotes
New-Brunswick
Can you share the bread recipe you are using for this?
Feb 4, 2018
815 posts
2007 upvotes
Toronto
Feneant wrote: Can you share the bread recipe you are using for this?
Hello @Feneant , here is the link to the recipe: https://freshaprilflours.com/italian-anise-bread/

A few things that I do differently:

1. I reduce sugar from 1/3 cup to 1/4 cup
2. Instead of melted butter, I add 4 TBSP of EVOO
3. In the original recipe, this dough is baked in a loaf pan. My shaping is different. I either make 1 large 6-strand braided loaf, or 2 smaller 4-strand braided loaves. If I make the 2 smaller loaves, I reduce the bake time at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
4. After baking, I transfer loaf/loaves to a rack, using a pastry brush I apply melted butter over the crust. It keeps the crust soft. I let breads cool completely, wrap in saran and place in a sealable bag, excess air exuded.
6. Can't remember if the recipe writer did this, but I always place the 2 heaping teaspoons of anise seed in a mortar, and crush them using a pestle.
7. You will get a better rise if you use "bread flour".

These loaves freeze beautifully. If you would like tips on braiding, I'm happy to help, just PM me or reply to this post.
Feb 4, 2018
815 posts
2007 upvotes
Toronto
The recipe for garlic pork appears in 2 screen shots on my desktop so I am attaching them here. Hope it's legible.
GARLIC PORK 1.png
GARLIC PORK 2.png