Computers & Electronics

Annotate on word or notepad (no touch screen)

• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2021 7:55 pm
[OP]
May 4, 2020
261 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto, On

Annotate on word or notepad (no touch screen)

Hi
I have desktop computer (no touch screen). I do zoom meeting and sometime I want to draw something in Word,notepad or Excel; like I am drawing on a while/black board when I am not virtually. Drawing with computer mouse is not accurate and hard. Do you recommend any peripheral device/tools/app I need to buy/install etc to help me to draw or use handwriting to show it on screen so other zoom viewers can see it. Thank you so much.

>> I do not have smart phone/tablet etc. Thank you
Last edited by lwlwlwlw on May 24th, 2021 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
7 replies
Oct 14, 2009
809 posts
346 upvotes
Windsor, Ont.
You could get a drawing tablet. Something like a Wacom Intuos.

You might be able to use your smartphone as an input, but it would probably be hard because it is such a small size. On Linux you can use your phone's touch input as your mouse input with KDE Connect. There is probably similar software for Windows. That might be easier to draw with is you have a stylus.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1563 posts
1866 upvotes
BC
As indicated above, a drawing tablet would work, however, they can be expensive.

For an inexpensive solution, if you don't have a tablet, get one like the Amazon HD 7 for about $70 or on sale for about $50 and a cheap stylus from a dollar store or a finer capacitive pen for a few bucks more.

I use this set up all the time for my Zoom presentations: My main presentation is conducted on a Zoom meeting running on my desktop. I join in on the meeting with Zoom on my tablet (with audio and video off) and use the tablet as my annotator screen to draw and highlight using the annotator options in Zoom.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4336 posts
883 upvotes
Toronto
Drawing tablets don't need to be expensive. I have the Huion 1060plus -- I used it for online teaching recently and it worked very well. They're regularly available for about $60-$70 on Kijiji, etc. Very simple to use.

Screen-based drawing tablets (where you're drawing on a screen rather than a touch-sensitive surface), however, are expensive.
Oct 1, 2009
563 posts
241 upvotes
West coast
What are you drawing that you can't use actual pictures then copy paste it on word?
[OP]
May 4, 2020
261 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto, On
doradxplorer wrote: What are you drawing that you can't use actual pictures then copy paste it on word?
Thank you. No not drawing. I should have been more accurate. I teach online classes and I want to have the same ability when I teach in person and use the white/blackboard. Sometime I need to type something fast or draw a sketch or a picture, lets say smiley face etc. Thank you.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1563 posts
1866 upvotes
BC
lwlwlwlw wrote: I want to have the same ability when I teach in person and use the white/blackboard. Sometime I need to type something fast or draw a sketch or a picture, lets say smiley face etc.
As indicated above, your two options:

1. Drawing tablet, which is basically a stylus mouse on a drawing pad (inexpensive but you're not drawing directly on the screen so may not work that well)
2. Screen- based tablets where you draw onto the screen (but can be expensive)

As I have suggested, instead of an expensive dedicated screen-based tablet you can use a smartphone/tablet running Zoom as a screen-based tablet. You sign into Zoom using a different account than the main account you use for your Zoom presentation. Whenever you need a whiteboard you switch to the Whiteboard in your Zoom presentation. On the tablet Zoom app, your screen will now show the Whiteboard, tap on the screen to access the annotation options, pick the pen or highlighter, and draw directly onto the phone/tablet screen using a stylus. What you see is what you get.... You can also highlight and write directly onto Powerpoint slides, documents, etc. (whatever is on the screen) to emphasize certain points or make notes like you would in person.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5600 posts
595 upvotes
Toronto
An alternative option is to get a better mouse (possibly, don't know what you currently have). I can draw pretty well with a mouse (simple stuff) like happy faces. Nothing perfect (but I have shape tools for that).

Practice works as well and lower or higher the DPI on the mouse and such for accuracy.