• Jan 22nd, 2011 7:57 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 9, 2007
35 posts
Downtown Toronto

Annoying catch phrases used on tv

Wanted to just get this off my chest. As a "foodie" I watch the food network quite often, and I am always annoyed by certain catch phrases people use over and over again.

1. "Home Made" - When people use this phrase to describe good food in a restaurant, I just want to slap them. Slap them plenty!! The food is not made at home, then transported to the restaurant to be sold. If they are eating it in a restaurant, then it is "restaurant made"
2. "Fall off the bone" - Has anyone ever seen meat fall off the bones on ribs? Never!! If meat is falling off the bone then stop eating the meat dummy!! The cow/pig must have some kind disease of the bone.
3. "Stick to your ribs" - If the food is sticking to your ribs, STOP, DROP, AND ROLL, to dislodge it, cause it should not do that!!

Anyone else want to add to this?
39 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
11555 posts
1501 upvotes
I have a bunch, but I don't mind the ones you seem to be annoyed by. Home made just means made from scratch, not bought in a big tub. Fall off the bone is a fine term IMO to describe very tender ribs. Yes, I have had ribs where the meat is almost falling off the bone. If you picked it up a certain way, the meat would fall off the bone (or the bone would fall off the meat).

Stick to your ribs...well, thats just a common saying, not just something on TV. I also think this is a dumb phrase and have never used it.

One of the things I hate hearing on TV is "mouth-feel"....I just hate hearing it. It makes me cringe.

Another that really bugs me for some reason is when chefs/judges use "cuts". "Needs a little acid to cut through the fat". I just hate hate hate this phrase for some reason.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6205 posts
1858 upvotes
Not food, but "Cut, it, out" with hand motions.

PS, isn't fall off the bone, actually over cooked?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5135 posts
51 upvotes
I just had some beef short ribs where the meat was kind of falling off the bone.
But I think it was the way the ribs were cut as they were very short peices and they were cooked for a long time I'm sure. The ribs were only 3" in length and I think they were marinated quite a while,so maybe it was from that.

For annoying catch phrases I usually think of Emeril? and his "bam!" whatever-he is just annoying.
And Sandra Lee and her "semi homemade" Sandra cooks mostly from packaged items and tries to get people to pass that off as homemade food,lol
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
1000 upvotes
N/A
i hate it when the meat of falling off the bone. it just means it's overcooked.
i hate it when some bbq people talk about it as if that is the goal of done-ness of the meat.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1473 upvotes
Pickering
baz5 wrote: PS, isn't fall off the bone, actually over cooked?

You can get meat to fall off the bone by cooking it in very moist environments. The "Texas Crutch" is when you foil your meat or put it in some kind of a sealed vessel with a little extra liquid and it will steam the meat causing it to release from the bone.
With proper low and slow barbecueing you will "melt" most of the fat from the cut of meat and cause the tendons to relax and the meat will release from the bone, but not completely. I don't Texas Crutch, I cook for appropriate times to make the meat release from the bone when you bite into the meat while maintaining moisture and flavour. If you cook for too long in a dry environment, the meat will weld itself to the bone, and you'll have to give your dog his new chew toy.
ippon wrote: i hate it when some bbq people talk about it as if that is the goal of done-ness of the meat.
Dems ain't reel Bar-Bee-Q folks however. Just fools talking out their @ss because they've subscribed to the food channel...

Who needs to be strangled is Rachel Ray, the self purported cook of 30 minute fried meals. One day she's going to say "EVOO" and she'll get hers. Annoying as f@ck...
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28517 posts
13862 upvotes
Toronto
Delissio pizza

It's not delivery! It's Delissio!
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
11555 posts
1501 upvotes
CodecX81 wrote: What ever happened to when it used to be
"It's not delivery! It's DiGiorno!"

It has always been delissio iirc unless you are from the states, or more likely watch US commercials
Jun 4, 2008
456 posts
4 upvotes
I can't stand when the term "nutty" is used.......It tastes "nutty".....Eat nuts if that's what you want. Drives me nuts ! : )
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5135 posts
51 upvotes
I was just reading the MMfood flyer and they use the term "country-style"

Country style could be anything really. this referred to country-style soups.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
11555 posts
1501 upvotes
another one I don't like for some odd reason is "layers". We're adding "layers of flavour".
Deal Addict
Oct 10, 2008
3153 posts
23 upvotes
Anything said by the people on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives...
e.g "That's money, honey"
[OP]
Mar 9, 2007
35 posts
Downtown Toronto
Bookpreviews wrote: I was just reading the MMfood flyer and they use the term "country-style"

Country style could be anything really. this referred to country-style soups.

Yes, that was the other one I couldn't think of earlier.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2007
2419 posts
174 upvotes
This isn't limited to TV, but I hate it when they announce a deal and then say, "Prices may vary. At participating locations only."

What's the point of advertising a deal if not every place will have it and if they do, they can charge whatever they want?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5135 posts
51 upvotes
umop wrote: This isn't limited to TV, but I hate it when they announce a deal and then say, "Prices may vary. At participating locations only."

What's the point of advertising a deal if not every place will have it and if they do, they can charge whatever they want?
That reminds me- the restaurants that have fish and lobster or whatever dishes at" market price".
Market price can be anything they want.

or the Quiznos coupons that say "participating locations only" but do not tell you which ones those are.
You go there and find out they do not accept the coupon- heard that happened a bunch with RFD people?
(i do not eat Quiznos since they will not make a BLT).
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17900 posts
945 upvotes
Anything Rachel Ray says. Mostly "Yumm-Oh" and "Dee-Lish"
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21738 posts
347 upvotes
Newmarket
Just about any time beer, wine etc are described.
They always make it sound far more palatable and exotic than it is, and descriptors like "vanilla" in beer and wine, just seems misleading.