• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2019 11:46 am
Tags:
None
Jan 24, 2007
191 posts
23 upvotes
Got a bunch of stuff this year that I had been holding off and needed.

2x Echo Dot
1x Echo Flex
Orbi
Ryobi Reciprocating Saws
Ryobi 2x Battery
Ryobi Nail gun
Facebook Portal - TV x2
Costco - Snow Blower
Clearly Contacts Glasses
Mysa x5

RIP my wallet
Oct 2, 2019
309 posts
192 upvotes
bubaglobalj wrote: I got the Google Nest Hello Video Doorbel for $50 from the Bay (price error).
And the Google Nest Hub with Assistant, Charcoal for $65 (Staples $25 off code).
And the Blue Yeti Microphone for $99 (Amazon lightning deal).

So if these come through it was a pretty good BF for me.
Your nest hello got cancelled didn’t it?
Dec 8, 2017
494 posts
230 upvotes
k847848 wrote: Your nest hello got cancelled didn’t it?
Hasn't been canceled, but hasn't shipped either.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8896 posts
4215 upvotes
Markham
When Canadian dollar and US dollar were on par, Canadian went to US for shopping, so Canadian retailers had to provide some good deals to keep Canadian spending in Canada. Now with current exchange rate, its no longer worth it for most people shopping in US, so retailers put less effort. It's really about competition
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2015
4464 posts
2156 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Anyone else think so?

All these Pre-Black Friday sales ruined the experience, and those sales were better then today's.

Ie. The bay and the luggage sale. Bath and body works candle sale. Clothing. (Example: Wednesday had all sweaters 39$. Now all items are 40% off, but that 40% only brings the sweater to 47$.

Not everything was bad, still some good finds, but still meh

Love to hear others thoughts and experiences.
Sep 17, 2017
21 posts
11 upvotes
Two deals so far here :
Samsung Tab A 10.1 - 199 Cads ( Amazon )
Fire HD 7 - 49 Cads ( Amazon )

And yes, you are right, not really great deals ..
just ok discounts on the items that are not selling very well..
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18583 posts
6620 upvotes
Toronto
Same story every year. The deals get worse and worse.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2015
4464 posts
2156 upvotes
Toronto, ON
True.

But this was the first year they had all these Pre-Black Friday sales...

Wtf is the point.

Soon there will be Pre-Prime Day sales... Pre-Boxing Day.... Pre-Valentines Day...

Piss off
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18583 posts
6620 upvotes
Toronto
Ya completely agree the pre-black Friday was a bit ridiculous like Boxing Day in July.
Dec 15, 2015
688 posts
503 upvotes
Toronto
JRGUINNESS wrote: Anyone else think so?

All these Pre-Black Friday sales ruined the experience, and those sales were better then today's.

Ie. The bay and the luggage sale. Bath and body works candle sale. Clothing. (Example: Wednesday had all sweaters 39$. Now all items are 40% off, but that 40% only brings the sweater to 47$.

Not everything was bad, still some good finds, but still meh

Love to hear others thoughts and experiences.
It's always like this. Canadian retailers will never have the deals we see state side.

Black Friday - just put your whole store on sale for a week, instead of spreading it out over the month. No freebies, no exclusives, nothing special. Just some signs and gimmicks. Generally when something is a 'good' deal its old tech or just not 'in' anymore, like that Nintendo Switch bundle (it comes with the older switch with an older processor and less battery life)....if you wait 2 weeks the proper switch will be onsale for basically the same value.
Apr 1, 2015
360 posts
114 upvotes
Oakville
sales felt a bit confusing especially for retailers like home depot that were doing their bf 'deals' (or pre-bf deals) a week ago. at some point i just stopped caring about tracking some items i was interested in

thelasthunt kind of upset me... earlier today they had 15% off (until around noon today), then it was 10%... then it was 10% off 200$+ which is basically a normal sale. for those of us who can't really websurf during work at those hours, didn't feel particularly good
Last edited by MattSF on Nov 29th, 2019 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
8959 posts
3316 upvotes
They did pre-Black Friday because this year US Thanksgiving fell as late as possible giving an unusually short 25 day shopping season, so retailers extended things with the pre-sale.

I was mostly after outerwear/clothing and the presale was better (prices, selection) than Black Friday by far. Nothing was cheaper on BF, I saved an extra 20% by shopping before then.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
3209 posts
1764 upvotes
Burlington
Got the Concept 2 Row machine for $750, i was super happy with that lightning sale.
Sep 4, 2017
358 posts
615 upvotes
only good deals for me were:

$3 pocket powerbank at PrimeCables (not even a crazy hot deal tbh, just needed it)
$58 all in for 1yr PS+ and a $25 PS giftcard at staples using $25 off code (pretty hot imo)

rest of the deals I saw were garbage, I'm surprised at how bad this year was. Oh well, wallet was overall safe Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2014
2034 posts
2250 upvotes
Toronto, ON
28g ounces BF Special - $125
7 grams of Mazar Monster
7 grams of Blackberry Cookies
7 grams of Black Diamond
7 grams of G4

3g Welcome Kit - $25
1 gram of Durban Poison
1 gram of Platinum Blackberry
1 gram of Gelato
1 O’Cannabis Lighter
1 magnetic Grinder
1 Raw Rolling Paper pk
1 Doobie Tube
1 Raw Natural Unrefined Tips pk

Don't ban me lol
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1362 upvotes
blackston3 wrote: 28g ounces BF Special - $125
7 grams of Mazar Monster
7 grams of Blackberry Cookies
7 grams of Black Diamond
7 grams of G4

3g Welcome Kit - $25
1 gram of Durban Poison
1 gram of Platinum Blackberry
1 gram of Gelato
1 O’Cannabis Lighter
1 magnetic Grinder
1 Raw Rolling Paper pk
1 Doobie Tube
1 Raw Natural Unrefined Tips pk

Don't ban me lol
WTF is that stuff? smelly smishers or something?
Nov 22, 2014
490 posts
166 upvotes
Toronto
Best deal was the Shell 10% rebate promo from two months ago. Wish I had bought a few thousand more....

Black friday was kinda meh this year....only bought the oneplus 7 pro as christmas gift
Last edited by redflagkiller on Nov 30th, 2019 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 26, 2012
900 posts
1301 upvotes
I'm shocked that Sportchek, of all places, was the only place offering a discount on the discontinued Apple Watch 4. And the discount was shit at that, $100 off the old MSRP. Where in the states Best Buy discounted it $100 off and Costco has the new Apple Watch Series 5 on sale for $30 off or something. That was the only thing I was waiting for. Everything else just sucked.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
2102 posts
2989 upvotes
Yeah, pretty meh overall.

Was hoping for an iPad Pro sale of sorts. A decent sale on the iPad Air would do too, instead of just a bundle offer. Couldn't drop down to the base model.

For Black Friday Week I got:

Instant Pot Duo - Canadian Tire - $59.99 (w/tax $67.79)
The Rock Copper Pan (Set of 2) - Canadian Tire - $39.99 (w/tax $45.19)
Vitamix Explorian - Amazon - $229.95 (w/tax $257.54)
Gears 5 - Best Buy - $39.99 (w/tax $45.19)

Slim pickings. But I got 3 gifts done, and a blender for myself.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2011
1301 posts
922 upvotes
Pickering
Boring black Friday.

Bought a Google Chromecast , constantly disconnecting while casting from my devices, and just found out my TV doesn't have HDMI-CEC.

The koodo deals would have made BF a lot more exciting.
CTC employee

Sport Chek / Canadian Tire / Party City discount
Telus EPP $50/20GB/BYOD
Bell EPP $50/20GB/BYOD