• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2019 11:46 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
2043 posts
1478 upvotes
TheMaterial wrote: It's always like this. Canadian retailers will never have the deals we see state side.

Black Friday - just put your whole store on sale for a week, instead of spreading it out over the month. No freebies, no exclusives, nothing special. Just some signs and gimmicks. Generally when something is a 'good' deal its old tech or just not 'in' anymore, like that Nintendo Switch bundle (it comes with the older switch with an older processor and less battery life)....if you wait 2 weeks the proper switch will be onsale for basically the same value.
Maybe one day, Best Buy will do a single deal for BF. Place one sign at each store saying 50% (or something) off all last ticketed prices at the entrance and anything inside is 50% off.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
2043 posts
1478 upvotes
Spent about $3 on Shopper+ buying random stuff (why did I buy straws again? $0.09 is great but I have no use!).

Still looking for a mid priced prebuilt desktop ($500-$800) and haven’t settled on anything. Still browsing and will be for the weekend and Cyber Monday.

Need to call TELUS Loyalty for a deal on my home services still. Trying to get them to discount the bill as much as possible. Tried last hour but they were already closed up for the day so trying tomorrow morning.

Still was underwhelming BF for the year... Hopefully something better for Boxing Day comes up..
Aug 14, 2019
269 posts
285 upvotes
Amazing BF thanks to the guy who posted the Staples code. It's only downhill from here, next years won't compare.
Temp. Banned
Nov 22, 2013
2174 posts
1299 upvotes
Sarnia
Deals that I did not even end up going for that made Black Friday not suck ...

PS4 Pro deal at Shoppers Drug Mart

Team Group L5 LITE 3D 2.5" 1TB w/ DRAM Cache Buffer SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive for $88.99 at Mike's Computer Shop

Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition for PS4 at $9.99 at EB Games

Really all I got on what I consider true Black Friday which is the 29th was Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 inc. DLC whatever for PC for like $10. Not a great game but one I will play for sure.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2008
1958 posts
609 upvotes
Think we should also consider the fact that brick and mortar retail stores are dying. So many stores closing over the years and it's slowly converting people to stay at home and buy online. The hype from many years ago just isn't there like it used to be. It's also becoming more and more expensive to live in this country-but that's for another thread.

Personally wish we didn't copy the Americans with Black Friday and just have ONE Boxing Day like the good ole days. Now we got too many pre-events, during events, and post events for Black Friday, Cyber Monday and Boxing Day. Too much information and too confusing for the average consumer.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2016
1351 posts
1052 upvotes
Halifax
fatcowxlive wrote: I'm shocked that Sportchek, of all places, was the only place offering a discount on the discontinued Apple Watch 4. And the discount was shit at that, $100 off the old MSRP. Where in the states Best Buy discounted it $100 off and Costco has the new Apple Watch Series 5 on sale for $30 off or something. That was the only thing I was waiting for. Everything else just sucked.
Yes this Apple Watch issue ( complete lack of visibility and deals ) has me baffled. Sportchek ? This is probably one of the most sought after items - and NADA.

I had four items on my list :
Vacation package for two from Expedia - Did not buy ( prices went up by $ 500-$ 600 from Wednesday - crazy - ) Just NO.
Apple Watch 3 : Nowhere, Non - existent- DId not buy
Graco 4Ever Car Seat : Did not drop beyond $ 299 . No .
Irish Wool Cable Sweater : Prices went up. No.

On the positive side I did get a couple of small items off my list, Sperry's for daughter, Uno Game for son, Some K-Cups at Amazon,
I spent about $ 120 - but had expected to spend about $ 3500 +... so I suppose it was successful in some weird way.
A fan of RFD
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2010
1029 posts
246 upvotes
Plenty of solid deals. Samsung 860 500GB SSD for $60 after tax, Flex 14 for $600, Ryzen 3000 CPU blowout on Amazon...
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2015
4461 posts
2152 upvotes
Toronto, ON
So consensus is that the best "deal" wasn't even supposed to happen. The Staples 25% off all carts over 75$ coupon screw up.

So glad I didn't take Friday off work this year. Vacation day saved.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
2850 posts
1361 upvotes
Bought a bunch of stuff...didn't really think the deals were that bad...on what I bought anyways.
Jun 26, 2019
322 posts
789 upvotes
Pretty much every good deal was some sort of pricing or coupon error. With retailers adding more pre-events, I expect the error trend to continue.

Only non-error deal that was really good was the Concept2 Rower from Amazon.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2018
1450 posts
915 upvotes
Vancouver
Deals were so bad for me that I couldn't even find anything for Christmas presents for others. I had a couple of things I wanted but have held out and thought better of buying it.
Jun 18, 2008
398 posts
139 upvotes
Calgary
Dell pulled an interesting stunt on their "UltraSharp with PremierColor" monitors. That's their top of the line. In the weeks before BF they run their usual discount scheme, then on BF they returned price for all models back to MSRP, where they all still are. Had to "harass" their rep on chat to get expected 43% off (usual discount + 10%OFFMONITOR coupon + 12% rakuten cashback + $45 Dell loyalty advantage). The only good thing is that I don't have to wait 45 days for rakuten cash back.
Nov 29, 2019
2 posts
I agree. The sales weren't any different from other sales throughout the year. So disappointing.
Nov 3, 2008
378 posts
24 upvotes
Alberta
Deals this year was way better than previous years.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8882 posts
4202 upvotes
Markham
Might be we should first decide what kind of Black Friday NOT sucks and why we wait till Black Friday day to buy. High expectation is our fault
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2006
2253 posts
735 upvotes
Burnaby
Picked up a Switch bundle from SDM on points redemption. It is an American holiday after all and there is less incentive for Canadian retailers to compete given the exchange rate.
Apr 20, 2012
263 posts
233 upvotes
Edmonton
It was a great year to build or upgrade a PC. Managed to pick up:

-Ryzen 5 3600X $229.99
-Gigabyte Aorus Elite X570 Motherboard $199.99
-XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB NVMe SSD $249.99
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2007
1153 posts
299 upvotes
I think there were deals to be had but it just depended on what you were after.
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2015
1260 posts
529 upvotes
North York, ON
This past week found many absolutely amazing parts deals re: building/ upgrading PC's.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2015
4461 posts
2152 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I know this isn't the thread... Bit what is the best way to get a switch as low as possible?

Is it still SDM senior day with points if possible?