• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2021 10:21 pm
[OP]
Nov 23, 2014
483 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Another $200 Covid Childcare benefit From Ontario Govt

Parents with children aged 12 and under a $200 payment. The benefit is $250 for parents of children and youth 21 or younger who have special needs.

The money is to help parents access workbooks, school supplies and technology to help their child’s learning this year, the province said in the budget. Families can apply for the new program on Nov. 23, 2020 and must submit an application by Jan. 15, 2021.

https://m.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/ontar ... bfac4d4c5c

apply here : https://www.ontario.ca/page/get-support-learners
Last edited by unodos on Nov 30th, 2020 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thread Summary
January 9, 2020

Update: Program to be expanded

https://www.ontario.ca/page/get-support-learners

Bold added

About Support for Learners
You can get financial support to help with additional costs during the 2020-2021 school year due to COVID-19.

Eligible parents or guardians will receive a one-time payment of:

$200 for each child up to age 12
$250 for each child or youth up to age 21 with special needs

We are expanding the Support for Learners program to students ages 13 to grade 12, including students who are in secondary school that are over 18. Applications will open on January 11, 2021. We will provide details on eligibility and how to apply soon.

The deadline to apply is February 8, 2021.
174 replies
Jul 13, 2019
117 posts
61 upvotes
What is the eligibility criteria for that?
Aug 5, 2010
381 posts
138 upvotes
Will be dropping it straight into RESPs!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6983 posts
1335 upvotes
Scarborough
$200 per child or per family ??
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
6629 posts
975 upvotes
Ottawa
apnayloags wrote: $200 per child or per family ??
per child

my child has just been diagnosed as special need, but how/where do I let ON know about it or am I too late to the party? when i applied earlier in the year, he was "normal"..
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6983 posts
1335 upvotes
Scarborough
jeeva86 wrote: per child

my child has just been diagnosed as special need, but how/where do I let ON know about it or am I too late to the party? when i applied earlier in the year, he was "normal"..
I think you indicate when u apply online.
Or call them once you apply...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
6629 posts
975 upvotes
Ottawa
apnayloags wrote: I think you indicate when u apply online.
Or call them once you apply...
thanks, i just re-read the article, seems like we'd have to apply for this, I thought u don't apply if you already did earlier in the year? didn't we get 2x$200 in benefits?
Feb 24, 2018
41 posts
13 upvotes

ON called / integrate with school. They validated my child name with school in my case
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1097 posts
515 upvotes
Ripley

Do you qualify and receive the Disability Tax Credit?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
6629 posts
975 upvotes
Ottawa
zeddy wrote: Do you qualify and receive the Disability Tax Credit?
I qualify but that application was only submitted a few weeks ago. Would my cra login show my validity?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1547 posts
538 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If you have a child who has a disability in Ontario, apply for The Assistance for Children with Severe Disabilities. It's a program similar to ODSP, and there are probably a few similar programs as well. (I used to know the name of another one.)

This is similar to a program initiated in April, which you applied for online.
The province will open an online application portal by April 6, and payments to parents will begin “shortly thereafter,” a government official said at a background briefing.
As this is an Ontario government program, I doubt there's any connection to the Disability Tax Credit. Of course, if someone has a qualifying disabled child they should apply for the DTC. Even if their income is very low and they don't pay tax, it increases the Canada Child Benefit. If they pay tax they can also claim the child's Disability Tax Credit.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
1945 posts
524 upvotes
How does one apply for this second round of one-time payment of $200 per child?
Dec 12, 2012
62 posts
26 upvotes
Does anybody have a link to this benefit?? I can't seem to find it online.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
3432 posts
1148 upvotes
Ontario
Any update on this?

Is it automatic or do we have to apply?

Poor communication from Gov't of Ontario on this! Nothing on their website (that i can find at least).
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay
Bank: Alterna (1.2%, no fees)
Brokers: IB (For. stocks/low comm)/Reg. RBCDI(service, USD)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
6629 posts
975 upvotes
Ottawa
this goes back to my previous q of how do I now get $250, since my lil one is "special needs" now vs. when I initially applied in May ish.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
6629 posts
975 upvotes
Ottawa
from the OP's article:
UPDATE - Nov. 23, 2020: A spokesperson for the province said it will be rolling out the web-based application to apply for the child benefit shortly.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
2027 posts
191 upvotes
jeeva86 wrote: this goes back to my previous q of how do I now get $250, since my lil one is "special needs" now vs. when I initially applied in May ish.
I am in the same boat and couldn't figure this out for the previous payment (they just took the info from when I applied for payments for strike days). I've tried calling multiple times over the past few months for first round and could never get through to an actual person. No way to contact them to update.
Feb 2, 2011
194 posts
23 upvotes
jeeva86 wrote: from the OP's article:
thanks for the update. there has been no news on this. They said they would send payments in mid december. dont see how that is likely given the date now