[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
1232 posts
446 upvotes
London, ON

And.. Another Kia/Hyundai Recall

https://driving.ca/auto-news/industry/h ... of-defects

With the amount of recalls, their really needs to be a massive investigation in to the companies.
this is bad for the consumer.
Sure all brands have recalls, but dam it seems kia and hyundai are on it every other day.

Hard earned money - with the thought of what if constantly.

The first recall affects some 203,000 Santa Fe Sport models from 2013 through 2015, and involves brake fluid leaking into the anti-lock brake computer, causing an electrical short and possibly a resulting fire.

According to the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, owners should keep their vehicles parked outside and away from buildings until the issue is fixed. To fix the problem, dealers will replace a fuse, and possibly the computer as well, if deemed necessary.

A second recall affects 187,000 Elantra models from 2019 to 2020 with the 2.0-litre engine, as well as 2019 through 2021 Kona and Veloster with the same engine. The recall states the piston rings may not have been heat treated properly, causing them to be too hard and possibly chip inside the engine.
Oh - in case someone says anything we have a optima 2014 sx with another car in the familly.
30 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36249 posts
10427 upvotes
Ottawa
I think you overestimate the KIA/Hyundai recalls or perhaps because you own one you only focus on them
Fact is recalls are very common nowadays if not for just safety but for company PR reasons.

"Over 13 Million Cars Have Been Recalled In First Half Of 2020". Toyota has the most https://www.motorbiscuit.com/already-ov ... f-of-2020/
KIA/Hyundai does not even make the Most Recalled Vehicles of the Past 25 Years list.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/recalls/

I too owned a Optima, one of the best cars I have had. I was a very big proponent of KIA, my Son was a service manager for them and although not anymore, he still has a couple KIA's.
Oct 4, 2010
684 posts
309 upvotes
Surrey
this has become so normal that it's no longer news
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
13212 posts
10094 upvotes
GTA, ON
Man.... everything in KIA/Hyundai leads to FIRE

What's next?
-AC coolant leaks, the gas gets into engine & can ignite, can cause fire
-Washer fluid reservoir can leak, antifreeze properties of fluid can get into engine & ignite, can cause fire
-Power steering fluid leak, squirting oil can get into engine, can cause fire
-Regular breathable Earth atmosphere can get into the engine making gasoline oxygen rich, can cause fire
Tis banana is IRIE

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
5963 posts
2599 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
Second recall announced for 400,000 cars:
https://www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/k ... 1621359931
Kia is recalling over 440,000 vehicles because their engines can catch fire — even when not running

The recall covers certain Optima sedans from 2013 through 2015 and Sorento SUVs from 2014 and 2015
¯\_(-.-)_/¯ A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2012
2738 posts
2315 upvotes
Toronto
The number of engine failures is always rising... The only engines that haven't really had issues are their V6. Otherwise everything else has had issues. Theta II 2.4L, their 2.0L engines etc.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
1651 posts
1349 upvotes
Montreal
And they say Ford & GM are unreliable lol.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
1788 posts
2229 upvotes
Barrie, ON
I think some people need to start defining 'unreliable' Big difference between your window regulators not working and you're engine catching fire burning your car to the ground on the 401.

Kia/Hyundai is on a roll.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
4764 posts
2255 upvotes
What owners need to do is get united, and demand help from the government / regulators.

Do you remember the VW Diesel Emissions scandal? Volkswagen had to buy back cars? I propose the same solution for these issues.

Kia / Hyundai must give the option to the consumer to return the car to them, and Kia / Hyundai must buy it back if they cannot fixt it to the satisfaction of the consumer.
Jul 21, 2013
304 posts
201 upvotes
Toronto
While the recall is concerning, is there any tangible evidence that Kia/Hyundai has more major recalls than other major brands? Consumer reports and other major car reviewers give Kia/Hyundai decent reliability reviews.

Kia is very popular in Australia, quite often preferred to Toyota or GM, it had the same problems early on (early 2000s) but consumers seemed to have allowed the brand to evolve, whereas in North America, the stigma exists, I wonder is it because Kia/Hyundai have had more issues here? Again, I'd love to see something statistically relevant, anecdotal experiences don't really hold much weight.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
13212 posts
10094 upvotes
GTA, ON
lestat83 wrote: While the recall is concerning, is there any tangible evidence that Kia/Hyundai has more major recalls than other major brands? Consumer reports and other major car reviewers give Kia/Hyundai decent reliability reviews.

Kia is very popular in Australia, quite often preferred to Toyota or GM, it had the same problems early on (early 2000s) but consumers seemed to have allowed the brand to evolve, whereas in North America, the stigma exists, I wonder is it because Kia/Hyundai have had more issues here? Again, I'd love to see something statistically relevant, anecdotal experiences don't really hold much weight.
I feel the issue isn't so much minor recalls but the fact that it's the same engine issue that's been popping up from as early as 2010. That's 11 yrs of basically the same issue and yet Hyundai/KIA seems want to stay quiet. Every recall, safety campaign etc. all indicate different issues causing engine fires. IMHO they are trying to deflect from the main cause of the engine failures (the engine itself) by pointing to multiple reasons that can cause an engine fire. I'm sure by now we don't need a statistician to see that this has got to be more than mere coincidence.

Perhaps OP should change the title to And... Another Kia/Hyundai Recall that *apparently causes* an engine failure/fire
Tis banana is IRIE

Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14261 posts
9027 upvotes
Markham
More cars sold means higher potential NUMBER of cars recalled. We should look at percentage of vehicles sold rather than the NUMBER.

If Manufacturer A sell 1 million cars, the maximum number of cars recallable is 1 million. If all 1 million were recalled it would be horrible 100% recall rate.
If Manufacturer B sell 10 million cars and recall 2 million is that worst the the 1 million [it's double Manufacturer A]. It's 20% recall rate.
==> 20% is better than 100% but in numbers it's double the number.

This is why it's not easy to decipher reality vs perception.
Instead of recalls, let's just talk about "complaints". If both A and B use the exact same component in their car and there is a problem with that same component, B selling 10 million cars is going to have 10 times the number of ppl complaining vs A but reality is it's the same percentage.

Perception: B has 10x more complaints than A
Reality: B is no worst than A.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
1788 posts
2229 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Which one burns to the ground? A or B? Who cares about the numbers of complaints, worry about the severity of the issue at hand. Combine that with high numbers and you've got a big problem on your hands.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
1651 posts
1349 upvotes
Montreal
I had my share of Ford

Personnal :
1x Fusion
1x Edge
1x Escape

Employer :
3x Escape (one with the old V6 and 2x with 2.0L Ecoboost)

One of my employer Escape the check engine came on when I was at 800kms from home. I said what the heck i'll drive it to the ground. Went to the Ford near my house. Told me the block was cracked so I was burning the cooling liquid. I was a couple of KMs under the engine powertrain max warranty and was replaced free of charge.

Aside from this, I had zero problems. Guess I was lucky :)
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15538 posts
3844 upvotes
Toronto
dealseaker101 wrote: Second recall announced for 400,000 cars:
https://www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/k ... 1621359931
Wait till the car dealers spin this around and say "Our products are really HOT and we can't even keep them in the showrooms anymore"

Reason: We don't want these POS burning the place down :)
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
May 3, 2010
266 posts
106 upvotes
Brampton
elpaso wrote: I had my share of Ford

Personnal :
1x Fusion
1x Edge
1x Escape

Employer :

One of my employer Escape the check engine came on when I was at 800kms from home. I said what the heck i'll drive it to the ground. Went to the Ford near my house. Told me the block was cracked so I was burning the cooling liquid. I was a couple of KMs under the engine powertrain max warranty and was replaced free of charge.

That wasn’t engineering issue. That was assembly issue didn’t build right.

Whereas Hyundai and Kia are totally different story. It is engineering issues on the whole new level and cannot be fixed through software stuff like that.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36249 posts
10427 upvotes
Ottawa
elpaso wrote: I had my share of Ford

Personnal :
1x Fusion
1x Edge
1x Escape

Employer :

I had a KIA Optima for 5 years, had zero problems.
I had Mercedes C300 for 4 years and had recalls and problems from day 1.
I had a Honda CR-V 2 years and had enough engine issues to get rid of it after 2 years.

Point is and was, no brand or vehicle is immune to poor build, poor quality or inferior vendor parts
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2564 posts
771 upvotes
Lévis
Pete_Coach wrote: I had a KIA Optima for 5 years, had zero problems.
I had a Honda CR-V 2 years and had enough engine issues to get rid of it after 2 years.

Point is and was, no brand or vehicle is immune to poor build, poor quality or inferior vendor parts
No, but not evey company are equal. Some brands are better than others. And it changes over time. Remember Mazda 10-20 years ago...
Pourquoi pas?
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
13212 posts
10094 upvotes
GTA, ON
Pete_Coach wrote: I had a KIA Optima for 5 years, had zero problems.

How many of those other makes have the same problem that occurs over multiple models and model years?
Tis banana is IRIE