• Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2019 9:20 am
[OP]
Jan 14, 2012
384 posts
100 upvotes
Oshawa

Another private sale in Ontario question

1. Can I sell a vehicle I own AS-IS to someone without safety/e-test being done?
2. Do I still need a UVIP if its being sold as-is?
3. How do I make sure the buyer pays tax/registers the vehicle?

Thank you.
7 replies
Dec 22, 2007
602 posts
304 upvotes
Mississauga
1. yes
2. yes
3. go with them to the MTO office.
[OP]
Jan 14, 2012
384 posts
100 upvotes
Oshawa
duderaf wrote: 1. yes
2. yes
3. go with them to the MTO office.
Thanks for the reply. My understanding is I cant go to the MTO office with them since the vehicle isnt saftied yet correct? It needs to be saftied first before being registered?
May 12, 2003
801 posts
238 upvotes
It needs to be safetied before being plated. It can be registered before that.
Supperfly wrote: Thanks for the reply. My understanding is I cant go to the MTO office with them since the vehicle isnt saftied yet correct? It needs to be saftied first before being registered?
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1719 posts
925 upvotes
Durham
ssj4_ootaku wrote: It needs to be safetied before being plated. It can be registered before that.
It can be plated with a temporary 10 day sticker
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1719 posts
925 upvotes
Durham
Supperfly wrote: 1. Can I sell a vehicle I own AS-IS to someone without safety/e-test being done?
2. Do I still need a UVIP if its being sold as-is?
3. How do I make sure the buyer pays tax/registers the vehicle?

Thank you.
You don't need to go to the MTO. Once buyer pays you, sign over the ownership (not plate portion). Give him the ownership and he goes to the MTO on his own. Doesnt matter if he pays taxes or not, just tell he has to remove the vehicle within X number of days. He can go get plates with a temp sticker to move it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8411 posts
1306 upvotes
Vancouver
Last time I sold a car just signed back of slip. I believe there is a receipt portion for you. I did go to mto to return my plates. There is a document you can ask for to state this is no longer your VIN and it’s been sold to X party. I did that in case the car turns up in Lake Ontario with a body in the trunk
Autocorrect sucks