• Sep 7th, 2016 1:49 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
21581 posts
24473 upvotes
Toronto

Another 'smart' TV drops YouTube support

this time it is 2012 Sony smart TVs. This is why external boxes/sticks are often a better bet (Roku, Apple TV, Chromecast, etc)

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/conten ... r-2012-TVs
"I felt a great disturbance at KFC as if millions of chickens suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced." RFD user stephroll
21 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1455 upvotes
Richmond
The funny thing is that my ancient 2011-vintage Toshiba Blu-Ray player with an original non-updateable Youtube app in the firmware still works, while my later Samsung Blu-Ray player with a more dynamic app environment gave up on Youtube and did a forced removal of the app.

It seems that the TV manufacturers don't really care about their Smart environments beyond selling you the TV in the first place. After that it's just a support burden to them, to be dumped as soon as possible.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12991 upvotes
/cares

There's a reason I want a stupid TV.
As long as they don't start pulling an Apple and removing useful ports like VGA or HDMI I couldn't care less.

Smart TVs were stupid back then, they're stupid now, and they'll be stupid tomorrow.
I understand the want for unified devices but what good is it when it breaks tomorrow and you need a 3rd party solution?
Besides... with how fast the internet moves, Youtube (or whatever) may not even be useful tomorrow.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2006
4055 posts
386 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: /cares

As long as they don't start pulling an Apple and removing useful ports like VGA or HDMI I couldn't care less.

Smart TVs were stupid back then, they're stupid now, and they'll be stupid tomorrow.
I understand the want for unified devices but what good is it when it breaks tomorrow and you need a 3rd party solution?
Besides... with how fast the internet moves, Youtube (or whatever) may not even be useful tomorrow.
You're wrong. SmartTV's running Android are pretty future proof. Hopefully we see more TV's using AndroidTV instead of their own OS.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28020 posts
8456 upvotes
Yep my HX750 is on this list. Oh well, I've used that feature all of 3 times when I got it, just to try it out. That's what I have my HTPC for :)

Funny thing is, some other 2012 models (lower end) lost support a while back. The higher-end TVs got an updated "New YouTube" app in a f/w update though. But now looks like that's not compatible with even newer changes at YouTube.

The funny part is they're going to basically instruct the TV (over the internet) that the app will no longer work and lock it out that way, when in reality all they'd have to do is release another f/w with an updated app. But, they don't want to make updates for old TVs I guess so away it goes.

The problem isn't much the TVs it's the fact that the manufacturers won't update the software on them. I'm sure its not hard to make an updated app that will be compatible with YouTube once more but they don't want to spend a dime on older sets (this isn't just Sony) so instead they'll just drop support :rolleyes: That's what you get with CE gear, I guess.

While the newer sets with Android in them seem more promising, let's all keep in mind Android itself changes versions every few months (or so it seems) and there even computing devices like tablets are deemed obsolete and can't be upgraded, so I wouldn't put too much faith in CE Android devices. Still, at least if there's app support for older Android stuff like YouTube will still work, but it's all a crapshoot. Again this is why I have a PC, regardless of what anyone wants to tell me about STBs, HDMI sticks, etc., pretty sure I'm never going to drop the idea of using a full-blown HTPC. Even the HTPC forum on AVS has long gone sour on using actual PCs (it's pretty funny actually), but to me I'm always most at home using a PC for this stuff.
Dec 7, 2015
479 posts
104 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
CatDog wrote: SmartTV's running Android are pretty future proof.
Over 90% of all Android devices are running old versions of Android and cannot be upgraded. Hardly future proof.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4995 posts
2969 upvotes
Toronto
ES_Revenge wrote: Yep my HX750 is on this list. Oh well, I've used that feature all of 3 times when I got it, just to try it out. That's what I have my HTPC for :)

Funny thing is, some other 2012 models (lower end) lost support a while back. The higher-end TVs got an updated "New YouTube" app in a f/w update though. But now looks like that's not compatible with even newer changes at YouTube.

The funny part is they're going to basically instruct the TV (over the internet) that the app will no longer work and lock it out that way, when in reality all they'd have to do is release another f/w with an updated app. But, they don't want to make updates for old TVs I guess so away it goes.

The problem isn't much the TVs it's the fact that the manufacturers won't update the software on them. I'm sure its not hard to make an updated app that will be compatible with YouTube once more but they don't want to spend a dime on older sets (this isn't just Sony) so instead they'll just drop support :rolleyes: That's what you get with CE gear, I guess.

While the newer sets with Android in them seem more promising, let's all keep in mind Android itself changes versions every few months (or so it seems) and there even computing devices like tablets are deemed obsolete and can't be upgraded, so I wouldn't put too much faith in CE Android devices. Still, at least if there's app support for older Android stuff like YouTube will still work, but it's all a crapshoot. Again this is why I have a PC, regardless of what anyone wants to tell me about STBs, HDMI sticks, etc., pretty sure I'm never going to drop the idea of using a full-blown HTPC. Even the HTPC forum on AVS has long gone sour on using actual PCs (it's pretty funny actually), but to me I'm always most at home using a PC for this stuff.
I don't think it's even a matter of them not wanting to make updates, I think it's them wanting you to buy a new TV. That's why I love my ChromeCast, the apps are always as current as the one on my phone. Combine a CC with Plex and I have a functional media system without needing a dedicated HTPC.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4995 posts
2969 upvotes
Toronto
willilumplump wrote:
Over 90% of all Android devices are running old versions of Android and cannot be upgraded. Hardly future proof.
Most apps will still run on ICS so the issue is mostly moot.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2006
4055 posts
386 upvotes
willilumplump wrote:
Lol, I said AndroidTV not Android. Step your knowledge game up.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
2363 posts
173 upvotes
Jep4444 wrote: Most apps will still run on ICS so the issue is mostly moot.
Aside from, you know, the glaring security holes and stuff.

But I am shocked--shocked, I tell you!--to discover that TV manufacturers just regard 'smart TVs' as a way to get a few extra sales, and abandon support as soon as they can.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4995 posts
2969 upvotes
Toronto
movieman wrote:
Aside from, you know, the glaring security holes and stuff.

But I am shocked--shocked, I tell you!--to discover that TV manufacturers just regard 'smart TVs' as a way to get a few extra sales, and abandon support as soon as they can.
Sure but most Android attacks probably won't have too much impact(if at all) on what people who use SmartTVs for. Not sure how much actually sensitive info you use on your TV.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
2363 posts
173 upvotes
Jep4444 wrote: Sure but most Android attacks probably won't have too much impact(if at all) on what people who use SmartTVs for. Not sure how much actually sensitive info you use on your TV.
At a minimum, it gives them access to anything else on your LAN, which probably also have security holes.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4995 posts
2969 upvotes
Toronto
movieman wrote:
Jep4444 wrote: Sure but most Android attacks probably won't have too much impact(if at all) on what people who use SmartTVs for. Not sure how much actually sensitive info you use on your TV.
At a minimum, it gives them access to anything else on your LAN, which probably also have security holes.
And that's why I don't keep any banking info saved on my computer lol. Still seems a stretch that they'll get that much through and then onto different platforms with indiscriminate attacks.
Oct 19, 2013
379 posts
121 upvotes
Toronto, ON
movieman wrote:
Why do I suddenly feel like I'm gambling at Rick's Cafe Americain ? Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Jan 28, 2007
876 posts
68 upvotes
CatDog wrote:

You're wrong. SmartTV's running Android are pretty future proof. Hopefully we see more TV's using AndroidTV instead of their own OS.
I am an android user.

Android phones and tablets are hardly future proof, do you really think android TVs will not be marred by the "update problems"?
Deal Addict
May 16, 2006
4055 posts
386 upvotes
jetfirex2 wrote:
CatDog wrote:

I am an android user.

Android phones and tablets are hardly future proof, do you really think android TVs will not be marred by the "update problems"?
Dog Android from 3+ years ago runs current apps, no problem.

Basically all TV's are SmartTVs now, unless they're poverty edition with poor refresh rate, non4k, etc.

Therefore it only makes sense to buy an androidtv one and not one running a manufacturer provided OS.
Jan 28, 2007
876 posts
68 upvotes
CatDog wrote:
jetfirex2 wrote:
CatDog wrote:

I am an android user.

Basically all TV's are SmartTVs now, unless they're poverty edition with poor refresh rate, non4k, etc.

Therefore it only makes sense to buy an androidtv one and not one running a manufacturer provided OS.
Old android is full of unplugged security holes. I wouldnt use that at all nowadays that almost everything in our homes is connected to the internet and is a target for anyone looking to exploit it.

Although it doesn't matter for me as I use my "smart TV" as a dumb Tv and use other devices such as Roku/android box/kodi box etc to run smart content on it instead.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2730 posts
904 upvotes
Windsor
CatDog wrote:
jetfirex2 wrote:
CatDog wrote:

I am an android user.

LOL, non-4K is poverty edition? Ouch.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Jan 28, 2007
876 posts
68 upvotes
ChubChub wrote:
CatDog wrote:
jetfirex2 wrote:

I am an android user.

You ain't rich unless you got a 20/20 vision bro.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2006
4055 posts
386 upvotes
jetfirex2 wrote:
ChubChub wrote:
CatDog wrote:

You ain't rich unless you got a 20/20 vision bro.
I'm not opening my eyes to look at anything less than 4k. Life is too short and my eyesight is too precious to risk it on low quality junk. Now if your eyes are defective, gotta pay to play, drop 2 g stacks and get them lazer beemed to perfection.