• Sep 16th, 2021 11:51 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2013
1295 posts
644 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Another TekSavvy price increase

Just got an email about yet another price increase.
If I am not mistaken, my plan went up by $13 since start of COVID-19 in March of 2020. Think it was $5 then another $5 and another $3.

The prices are just outrageous.
43 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
4384 posts
292 upvotes
Toronto
We only have one group to blame for this and it isn't changing just yet.

It's too bad teksavvy can't start investing in their own infrastructure across the GTA. I am sure they could easily raise the money if they wanted too. Then again, I am ignorant in all matters of such projects so I have no idea how detailed something like this is.

I need to find a new provider but I don't want these trash hitron modems or w/e they are called.
Nothing to see here...keep looking.
Dec 1, 2003
571 posts
209 upvotes
Ottawa
Internet is a top priority these days; specially, a lot of working from home. If you switch to bell/ rogers/on a internet deal, you're playing a mouse and cat game with prices. We need to make a issue with the upcoming election on the internet pricing as wholesale price for internet is out of whack and third party internet provider are struggling.
Last edited by crow on Sep 1st, 2021 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
6252 posts
2889 upvotes
Durham
Should this be news? Come on!

This is reality in this country. All ISPs are NOT controlled by our government.

Their price adjustments are stupid ... but it is a standard response ... there is infrastructure to be built to provide the best available service.

Too bad the country is too large and the population is too small.

You cannot compare rates here versus the States.

Live with it. It's just too bad.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Dec 6, 2020
937 posts
1041 upvotes
jdmfishingonly wrote: This is reality in this country. All ISPs are NOT controlled by our government.
Given that the government generally acts to protect the interests of ISP shareholders from the needs of the public, it's much more of a case that the ISPs control the government.

Population density is a red-herring argument. Canada's urban areas -- where most of us live -- are at least as dense as urban areas in the United States and, in parts, are comparable in density to areas of continental Europe. Canada's distances mostly impact the costs of intercity links, of which we don't have that many because much of our data traffic goes through Ameristan.

Every analysis of communications costs in Canada (save for those paid for by the industry itself) concludes that our costs are due to government policies that allow the industry to extract profits far above the global average for communications services providers. Geography has nothing to do with it.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25991 posts
10701 upvotes
Socially Distanced
middleofnowhere wrote: Given that the government generally acts to protect the interests of ISP shareholders from the needs of the public, it's much more of a case that the ISPs control the government.
Captured agencies :(
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Dec 6, 2020
937 posts
1041 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: Captured agencies :(
Much deeper problem than that, sadly. Captured political culture.

The status quo persists because the existing regulatory frameworks provide exactly the kind of pro-shareholder regulation that our glorious elected officials want. The CRTC absorbs public criticism for industry price gouging, but the ultimate responsibility lies with successive elected governments who have refused to stop the industry from helping itself to our money.

There's an awful lot the federal government could do to lower prices, ranging form changing the CRTC's mandate to nationalizing the communications carriers. The feds just don't want to do it.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25991 posts
10701 upvotes
Socially Distanced
middleofnowhere wrote: Much deeper problem than that, sadly. Captured political culture.

The status quo persists because the existing regulatory frameworks provide exactly the kind of pro-shareholder regulation that our glorious elected officials want. The CRTC absorbs public criticism for industry price gouging, but the ultimate responsibility lies with successive elected governments who have refused to stop the industry from helping itself to our money.

There's an awful lot the federal government could do to lower prices, ranging form changing the CRTC's mandate to nationalizing the communications carriers. The feds just don't want to do it.
Very true. And then voters choose the Cons who promise easy answers but are even more captured and peddling stronger lies than the Libs.
At times Harper did things against his own ideology to maintain power, but if the Libs do the same they are castigated for it and this gets votes for the Cons.

Hence a cycle of stupid or stupider and we things ultimately get worse and not better.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6929 posts
4660 upvotes
SW ON
Nobody really knows why that happened? Because nobody mentioned. CRTC, Rogers, Bell court proceedings...
Sep 25, 2020
370 posts
222 upvotes
I'm with teksavvy as well. Read my email about the price increase soon.

The good thing is my internet is stable all year long.

I want to switch as well like many of you have mentioned. But I prefer not to make a move while I'm still working from home. Sometimes switching will cause more problems and headaches.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9963 posts
4247 upvotes
Vaughan
Varian wrote: Just got an email about yet another price increase.
If I am not mistaken, my plan went up by $13 since start of COVID-19 in March of 2020. Think it was $5 then another $5 and another $3.

The prices are just outrageous.
Same. It is getting expensive! 150/10 for $80. I am trying to stay and support small ISP! It may be a lost cause, soon.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2006
1346 posts
166 upvotes
canada85000 wrote: I'm with teksavvy as well. Read my email about the price increase soon.

The good thing is my internet is stable all year long.

I want to switch as well like many of you have mentioned. But I prefer not to make a move while I'm still working from home. Sometimes switching will cause more problems and headaches.
I’m in the same boat. My friends are on 500Mbps or 1 Gbps with Bell or Rogers and paying less than what I’m paying TekSavvy for 150Mbps. Not sure why I’m too lazy to switch lol, but I’m going to have to seriously evaluate now.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9963 posts
4247 upvotes
Vaughan
enigma54 wrote: I’m in the same boat. My friends are on 500Mbps or 1 Gbps with Bell or Rogers and paying less than what I’m paying TekSavvy for 150Mbps. Not sure why I’m too lazy to switch lol, but I’m going to have to seriously evaluate now.
With Rogers and Bell deals, you have to call back after 12 months, to get some kinds of deal. It can be a turn off. They are trying to kill off competition.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
5880 posts
1349 upvotes
rural ontario
teoconca wrote: With Rogers and Bell deals, you have to call back after 12 months, to get some kinds of deal. It can be a turn off. They are trying to kill off competition.
This. Rogers calls with a good price, but only for a year then it's back to the same price as teksavvy. I hated the one year game of cancel then (maybe) get another yearlong deal.
72 69 6c 6c 65 73
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9963 posts
4247 upvotes
Vaughan
rilles wrote: This. Rogers calls with a good price, but only for a year then it's back to the same price as teksavvy. I hated the one year game of cancel then (maybe) get another yearlong deal.
I see it as they are trying to hook customers of high speed, and kill off small ISP.
Sep 25, 2020
370 posts
222 upvotes
enigma54 wrote: I’m in the same boat. My friends are on 500Mbps or 1 Gbps with Bell or Rogers and paying less than what I’m paying TekSavvy for 150Mbps. Not sure why I’m too lazy to switch lol, but I’m going to have to seriously evaluate now.
Same. I'll probably think about it soon. When I think about it, an increase of 2-3 bucks a month is actually not a lot (extra $40 bucks a year).

I left Teksavvy around 2015 when there was a major outage in downtown Toronto for weeks. Eventually, I came back to Teksavvy. :facepalm:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9963 posts
4247 upvotes
Vaughan
canada85000 wrote: Same. I'll probably think about it soon. When I think about it, an increase of 2-3 bucks a month is actually not a lot (extra $40 bucks a year).

I left Teksavvy around 2015 when there was a major outage in downtown Toronto for weeks. Eventually, I came back to Teksavvy. :facepalm:
$40 extra per year is much less than deal game with Rogers/Bell after 12 months.

Been with TSI 12 years. I had so many chances to leave. Not worth the hassles.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7479 posts
4104 upvotes
Debtario
That sucks. TSI does good work in trying to protect consumers.

Unfortunately the Big 3 are winning here. I myself jumped ship from Teksavvy as Bell weened me off DSL with noncompetitive speeds and price hikes. When I looked at returning, DSL stopped being offered by third party ISPs in my area altogether, and cable was the only option.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
7828 posts
4627 upvotes
West GTEH!
Looks like all Plan prices at all ISP are increasing.
Nice way to gouge customers again. Especially when a lot of people are WFH.
😎
Jul 18, 2014
695 posts
1459 upvotes
Tillsonburg ON
so much for Trudeau's promise for lowering internet prices. they need to let one of the big U.S players into our Market. I remember when Verizon tried to buy wind and Bell, Rogers and Telus wouldn't stop crying about it