Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
9586 posts
5912 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!

Another tire bulge!!

Had a tire bulge earlier this year where decided to replace tire. It was quite visible from all angles.

Since then have been more observant of all vehicles and today happened to be looking at just right angle to see another bulge on a different vehicle. Not as apparent as previous bulge [different vehicle]... just looking more regularly and happened to be in line of sight.

Have about 8k kms on it [can still see hairs on all tires] so not sure if need to replace one or four tires. It is AWD.

Have side and flush pics with grey marks showing location.
Images
  • Tire bulge flush.jpg
  • Tire bulge side.jpg
Last edited by georvu on Jul 5th, 2021 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
47 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12385 posts
4908 upvotes
Toronto
With your luck, I will replace 2 and keep the 3rd one as spare ready for the next bulge

Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

j/k
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
20704 posts
24767 upvotes
GTA
It's hardly there. I wouldn't worry about it, just keep an eye on it.
If you do replace, you can use new tire is it's barely worn. Otherwise some shop may shave it down for you or find a similarly used one.

Do you avoid pot holes and curbs?

Was the original buldge on the same set?
What brand/model?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
9586 posts
5912 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
engineered wrote: It's hardly there. I wouldn't worry about it, just keep an eye on it.
If you do replace, you can use new tire is it's barely worn. Otherwise some shop may shave it down for you or find a similarly used one.

Do you avoid pot holes and curbs?

Was the original buldge on the same set?
What brand/model?
Yes, avoid potholes and curbs... No pot hole or curb hitting, only noticed because more observant since had prior.

Prior tire bulge was on different vehicle. That was more pronounced and quite visible so replaced.
in present tire bulge it was just the angle I was looking else would not normally notice.

Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sport AS.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
34475 posts
17129 upvotes
Yeah it's a bulge but looks kind of minor. No road hazard warranty I take it? Up to you if you want to replace it, I would probably leave it; but, definitely keep an eye on it if you do. 8,000km doesn't sound like much but it also depends on how quickly the tyres wear. If it's a tyre that's gonna last 50-60k kms, that's about 15% wear already; OTOH if these will last 90k kms, that's less than 10% wear.

How much of a problem having slightly differently worn tyres is on an AWD system is going to depend on what make/model/AWD system it is.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
17650 posts
13378 upvotes
Toronto
there's a section for wheels and tires
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
9586 posts
5912 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
AlicW93740 wrote: Bridgestone has some sort of warranty on their tires: https://www.bridgestonetire.ca/customer ... tinum-pact

You can contact the tire shop that did the install and inquire about warranty
These came new with vehicle [also new] so gonna have to look into what docs got when bought about 2 years ago.

Thanks.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
9586 posts
5912 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
@TomRFD

Please move thread to sub-forum Wheels and Tires.

Should have posted there initially.

Thanks.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
9586 posts
5912 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
georvu wrote: These came new with vehicle [also new] so gonna have to look into what docs got when bought about 2 years ago.

Thanks.
Road hazard not covered... sheesh new vehicles warranty.
Sep 25, 2018
956 posts
1954 upvotes
georvu wrote: Road hazard not covered... sheesh new vehicles warranty.
From what I read on other forums, tire warranty is directly with the tire manufacture, not the car manufacture. But the dealer would have to contact the tire manufacture to get the warranty money for you. Most dealership are too lazy to do this and they don't have much incentive. They would rather sell you a new tire for hundreds of dollars instead. You have to push them really hard to do the work for you. If you just want an easy and fast solution, skip the dealer and get a new tire from a tire shop and call it a day.
Before you speak: THINK
T = is it True?
H = is it Helpful?
I = is it Inspiring?
N = is it Necessary?
K = is it Kind?
Sep 3, 2020
197 posts
284 upvotes
Ontario
Most tire bulges I have seen are generally in one area of tire.

This seems to run from top to bottom at sidewall. So perhaps defect?

Only 8000 kms but you said bought 2 years ago so may be difficult to claim.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
9586 posts
5912 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
AlicW93740 wrote: From what I read on other forums, tire warranty is directly with the tire manufacture, not the car manufacture. But the dealer would have to contact the tire manufacture to get the warranty money for you. Most dealership are too lazy to do this and they don't have much incentive. They would rather sell you a new tire for hundreds of dollars instead. You have to push them really hard to do the work for you. If you just want an easy and fast solution, skip the dealer and get a new tire from a tire shop and call it a day.
The tire docs specifically do not include road hazard which includes tire bulge.

For time being just going to monitor bulge.

Showed to couple of friends and they saw nothing, then pointed out to them and they still had trouble seeing it.
Just have to be at right angle to see the slight bulge.
Sep 25, 2018
956 posts
1954 upvotes
georvu wrote: The tire docs specifically do not include road hazard which includes tire bulge.

For time being just going to monitor bulge.

Showed to couple of friends and they saw nothing, then pointed out to them and they still had trouble seeing it.
Just have to be at right angle to see the slight bulge.
I see, that's what you mean. Sorry I didn't read the warranty fully. I thought bulge would be covered since it could be a manufacture defect.
Before you speak: THINK
T = is it True?
H = is it Helpful?
I = is it Inspiring?
N = is it Necessary?
K = is it Kind?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
9586 posts
5912 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
AlicW93740 wrote: I see, that's what you mean. Sorry I didn't read the warranty fully. I thought bulge would be covered since it could be a manufacture defect.
No worries.

Appreciate the suggestion.

Looked for bulge today and had hard time finding... hopefully continues that way.
Jun 10, 2008
519 posts
405 upvotes
Halton Hills
Have a feel on the inside of the tire. There is a section where the tire plies are joined. They often cause a bulge all the way around. It's usually more obvious on cheaper and high profile tires. If it's on the other side I wouldn't worry.

Have a look at other peoples tires when you're in a parking lot. You'll notice a lot of them.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
9586 posts
5912 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
thisischris wrote: Have a feel on the inside of the tire. There is a section where the tire plies are joined. They often cause a bulge all the way around. It's usually more obvious on cheaper and high profile tires. If it's on the other side I wouldn't worry.

Have a look at other peoples tires when you're in a parking lot. You'll notice a lot of them.
Tried feeling inside of tire but couldn't really tell. The bulge on outside is very slight that needed to mark area to show to others and can not feel by hand so not surprised that could not feel inside, if bulge even there.

Also, it's the rear tire so can't turn for better visibility. Took pics and videos but couldn't tell.

Going to continue to monitor and take pics regularly to ensure not getting more bulge.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
14537 posts
9490 upvotes
thisischris wrote: Have a feel on the inside of the tire. There is a section where the tire plies are joined. They often cause a bulge all the way around. It's usually more obvious on cheaper and high profile tires. If it's on the other side I wouldn't worry.

How do you feel the inside without taking it off the rim? Smirking Face
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
9586 posts
5912 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Gutty96 wrote: How do you feel the inside without taking it off the rim? Smirking Face
Ahhh, dumb me... I thought meant on other side of tire and that would have plies on other side at same spot!! :)

Gotta take those vitamins!!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)