• Apr 11th, 2020 1:55 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2013
1335 posts
259 upvotes
Mimico

Another UPS Brokerage Fee thread

Ordered some motorcycle parts (they come from Thailand) and the shipper sent them via UPS. Just got a call from UPS (recorded message) asking me to email them with either my broker of choice, or my CRA business account number. (what?).

I will self-clear if I have to, but the package was sent using "UPS Worldwide Express Saver® " - which according to UPS, (Link), should be free of brokerage fees. Am I reading that correctly? And if it is free as such, I can let them be the broker and I wouldn't be charged anything?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
3043 posts
2067 upvotes
Canadia
Just tell them that you'd like them to clear the package for you. You'll get charged HST and duty (if applicable) and probably a small fee for handling the charges.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2013
1335 posts
259 upvotes
Mimico
My question is how "small" will this "small fee" be
Nov 18, 2004
431 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
Been hit twice in the past month or so. Both times it was about $42. One for a $200 power supply from the US and another for about 100 of boat parts (grease, gun and some annodes). Won't be ordering anything from the US anymore -prefer China's all-in shipping.
Dec 4, 2017
319 posts
286 upvotes
I've only encountered Delivered Duty Paid (DDP) shipping terms from online clothing that was shipped from UK. Those are the best. No customs and duty on my end.

Beauty of NAFTA (or the now called USMCA) is duty free of North American made items. Got to factor this into the purchase.

UPS brokerage admin fees are high like FedEx. Canada Post is the cheapest. I've paid UPS admin and brokerage fees online on their website before.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10697 posts
12981 upvotes
Vancouver
apoorv wrote: Ordered some motorcycle parts (they come from Thailand) and the shipper sent them via UPS. Just got a call from UPS (recorded message) asking me to email them with either my broker of choice, or my CRA business account number. (what?).
What company did you order these parts from? One based in Canada?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2013
1335 posts
259 upvotes
Mimico
Kiraly wrote: What company did you order these parts from? One based in Canada?
Thailand.
Jan 22, 2020
49 posts
26 upvotes
I don’t understand how the brokerage fees work. I ordered some furniture and was hit with about 13% brokerage fees that basically was equal to the 13% HST I had to pay as well.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10697 posts
12981 upvotes
Vancouver
relyt2003 wrote: I don’t understand how the brokerage fees work. I ordered some furniture and was hit with about 13% brokerage fees that basically was equal to the 13% HST I had to pay as well.
The courier has to clear the package through customs for you. The means they're acting as your broker. They can charge whatever fees they want. If the fee is too high, you can refuse the service and clear the item through customs yourself. The time and hassle involved in doing that might well not be worth saving the money that UPS will charge, it's up to you.