Another way to charge laptop battery?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 27th, 2020 2:03 am
[OP]
Sep 24, 2006
908 posts
165 upvotes

Another way to charge laptop battery?

I have an Asus N35S laptop whose battery will not charge and I narrowed the issue down to the DC power port. Before all power from the laptop was lost, I backed up all my personal files and deleted them from the hard drive. However, I didn't get to run a "cleaning" software to scramble the hard drive so unscrupulous technicians couldn't peak at my data. My goal was to send the laptop in for repair to get the DC port replaced, but now I'm hesitant to do so. Is there a way to charge my laptop battery without the laptop? The only thing I found was an external laptop battery charger such as this:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 01170.html

Any other ideas? Am I being paranoid for nothing? Thanks in advance!
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2949 upvotes
why cant you remove the hdd or ssd and do what is needed using another computer?
[OP]
Sep 24, 2006
908 posts
165 upvotes
Good point! I guess I can use a USB to SATA/EIDE adapter to connect the HDD externally to another laptop? I'm not very tech savvy. Just learning from Google.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2949 upvotes
yes... sure is cheaper going this method i would imagine. If you had a desktop it would be most simple. Canada Computers is still open for business. Not sure why but they are.
Jun 21, 2008
541 posts
144 upvotes
mississauga
hank755 wrote: Good point! I guess I can use a USB to SATA/EIDE adapter to connect the HDD externally to another laptop? I'm not very tech savvy. Just learning from Google.
be careful if you go this route, laptops are delicate animals to take apart and put back together
Mar 26, 2008
453 posts
175 upvotes
depending on the model of your laptop, taking out the hard drive can be very easy. it might just be a matter of unscrewing the cover for the hard drive compartment and unscrewing the hard drive. that way you can bring your hard drive into the shop and get the dc port repaired.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1045 posts
638 upvotes
Vancouver
If they are deleted, you have nothing to worry about. Repair techs are not gonna spend 24+ hrs running a forensic data recovery software on it.
Apr 19, 2020
20 posts
10 upvotes
kramer1 wrote: If they are deleted, you have nothing to worry about. Repair techs are not gonna spend 24+ hrs running a forensic data recovery software on it.
this.....⬆ especially for a hardware problem where they just need to replace the dc port
(by the way...replacing the dc port is a fairly simple soldering job in most cases)
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16526 posts
9310 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
t3chguru wrote: this.....⬆ especially for a hardware problem where they just need to replace the dc port
(by the way...replacing the dc port is a fairly simple soldering job in most cases)
To add to this, most of these types of issues stem from issues with the existing solder and not the port itself. Just reflowing the solder that is holding the DC port will probably fix the problem.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3733 posts
3252 upvotes
Markham
hank755 wrote: Good point! I guess I can use a USB to SATA/EIDE adapter to connect the HDD externally to another laptop? I'm not very tech savvy. Just learning from Google.
Cannot find N35S in Asus website.
I presume it is N53S instead.
Here is a tutorial to replace the hard drive.
You need to watch the first part to take out the hard drive only.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2949 upvotes
kramer1 wrote: If they are deleted, you have nothing to worry about. Repair techs are not gonna spend 24+ hrs running a forensic data recovery software on it.
depends on how bored the techs are. Cant go anywhere outside so why not have a bit of fun? It's not like they respect the customers anyways.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2949 upvotes
depends on how bored the techs are. Cant go anywhere outside so why not have a bit of fun? It's not like they respect the customers anyways.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1045 posts
638 upvotes
Vancouver
badOne wrote: depends on how bored the techs are. Cant go anywhere outside so why not have a bit of fun? It's not like they respect the customers anyways.
Not really. There is only so much one would for nudes. Apart from that, there is only so much one can get. Financial info, docs, etc. Now most techs won't go as far as to commit fraud. Not that hard to trace the leak back when they get a device to repair
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28816 posts
9310 upvotes
Yeah but this is RFD where everyone is a tin-foil-hatter ex-CIA/CSIS wannabe who thinks their photos with their buddies in Cancun from 2008 are highly sought after because they are such special snowflakes. Must...drill...holes...through HDD!
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13032 posts
2306 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
hank755 wrote: Any other ideas? Am I being paranoid for nothing? Thanks in advance!
Ask them if you can send it without the HDD.