Food & Drink

Anova Precision Cooker --Who's getting one?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2020 10:49 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3332 posts
1411 upvotes
Scarborough

Anova Precision Cooker --Who's getting one?

I'm so hyped for this unit, the amount of potential this unit has from a consumer level is insane. Price point isn't too bad -$700 but the only drawback might be size. The most beneficial feature I think for me and most other people will be the steam function. I believe Breville or some other brand already make a steam function oven but I'm quite sure this one not only has a bigger reservoir but it can cook via steam only which is one of it's kind. This is a real game changer for bakers, at least from a consumer level anyways.

29 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35456 posts
9473 upvotes
Ottawa
A $700 toaster oven??? Not for me LOL
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3332 posts
1411 upvotes
Scarborough
Pete_Coach wrote: A $700 toaster oven??? Not for me LOL
So when I called an AirFryer a convection oven you called me out but when you do it here with this than it's different? wow
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35456 posts
9473 upvotes
Ottawa
OrangeBerry wrote: So when I called an AirFryer a convection oven you called me out but when you do it here with this than it's different? wow
Once again "A $700 toaster oven??? Not for me LOL "
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1366 posts
836 upvotes
OrangeBerry wrote: So when I called an AirFryer a convection oven you called me out but when you do it here with this than it's different? wow
I think the call out is related to the price premium. Air fryers are just that, glorified toaster ovens, optimized for flow of heated air, rather than circulating hot air inside the oven. This one adds a water spray valve into the stream to create steam inside the oven.

Commercial steam ovens are marvels of engineering. They don't just circulate hot steamy air inside the oven, the seals makes it so they become positive pressure chambers, kind of like a pressure cooker, but not at high pressure. Just enough to make a difference. I doubt this unit is built to match that, but then again, if they did, then the price premium might be worth it.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10809 posts
5881 upvotes
Markham
Pete_Coach wrote: Once again "A $700 toaster oven??? Not for me LOL "
Yes. It's not for everyone. Just like $1000+ phones aren't for everyone [most ppl churn every few years], just like $60,000+ cars aren't for everyone [most ppl churn every 5 yrs or so].

To be fair, say toaster oven and you think of those small "ovens" that cost $50 at the cheapest low end, can fit only four pieces of bread which really no one uses for toast because the four heating elements are slow to heat [over 10 min to do toast] and don't do a good job as they aren't well distributed. Ppl buy and use these cheap things to heat up small stuff because the interior capacity is around 5" high.

This is a countertop COMBI oven. There is nothing like this in the market with this interior capacity and at this low price point.

This has 4X THE INTERIOR CAPACITY OF A TOASTER OVEN => double the "flour space" and double the height. Interior is 16.9" x 12.4" x 10" [W/D/H]. You can roast a 14lb turkey in there...you can't do that in a toaster oven.

Educate yourself on what steam ovens are:

https://blog.designerappliances.com/bes ... e-vs-wolf/

You can "hold" a prime rib roast in here with some steam at 130F for hours on end with no deterioration in quality....try that in a toaster oven.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35456 posts
9473 upvotes
Ottawa
gr8dlr wrote: Yes. It's not for everyone. ...

Educate yourself on what steam ovens are:

https://blog.designerappliances.com/bes ... e-vs-wolf/

You can "hold" a prime rib roast in here with some steam at 130F for hours on end with no deterioration in quality....try that in a toaster oven.
https://www.cuisinart.com/shopping/disc ... cso-300n1/
Educated...thank you.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10809 posts
5881 upvotes
Markham
Have you checked out the capacity of that Cuisinart "toaster oven" sized Combi oven which cost $300+?

0.6 cubic ft. capacity [4.5lb chicken] vs 1.2 cubic ft. [14lb turkey]
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35456 posts
9473 upvotes
Ottawa
gr8dlr wrote: Have you checked out the capacity of that Cuisinart "toaster oven" sized Combi oven which cost $300+?

0.6 cubic ft. capacity [4.5lb chicken] vs 1.2 cubic ft. [14lb turkey]
Why is it so important to make me care?? I don't.
$700 for a countertop toy is a lot IMO.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3332 posts
1411 upvotes
Scarborough
Pete_Coach wrote: Why is it so important to make me care?? I don't.
$700 for a countertop toy is a lot IMO.
He's proving you wrong versus caring, you're letting your ignorance take over because all you care to see is the price tag and not the product. There's noting like this in the market and you're calling it a "countertop toy".
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35456 posts
9473 upvotes
Ottawa
OrangeBerry wrote:
He's proving you wrong versus caring, you're letting your ignorance take over because all you care to see is the price tag and not the product. There's noting like this in the market and you're calling it a "countertop toy"

You mean like this countertop toy
https://www.loblaws.ca/mp/combo-steam-p ... gJorPD_BwE

Or any of the others when I Google "countertop steam ovens"?

Yup, so wrong LOL
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1366 posts
836 upvotes
@Pete, why u gotta b a grumpy pp?

The OP posted about an interesting product that improves on any of the examples you provided, yet you derail the thread to defend your point. You made your point, you are entitled to your opinion and you gave it. I wouldn't buy the "$700 countertop toy" either, but I won't disagree that a good steam oven, with twice the volume for cooking capacity and superior temperature control to the $500 countertop toy you pointed to is worth taking a look at.

Just pointing at the Cuisinart links defeats the purpose of your position. The Cuisinart is a small, low end product that only adds steam to the convection cooking cycle. This one is a combination oven that allows steam only cooking, as well as adding steam to the cooking cycle. The Wolf/Miele/other built in are expensive high end, commercial grade products, custom installed in a residential environment. There is nothing in between.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35456 posts
9473 upvotes
Ottawa
my0gr81 wrote: @Pete, why u gotta b a grumpy pp?

Hardly grumpy.
I made a comment "A $700 toaster oven??? Not for me LOL" and got questioned. So, I explained myself.
I also said "Why is it so important to make me care?? I don't." and still got questioned.
I have and had my opinion and that seemed to upset some. Does not make me grumpy.
Sep 4, 2020
3 posts
1 upvote
Any idea when it might be available in Canada ? Definitely interested. The capacity is a seller.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3332 posts
1411 upvotes
Scarborough
SeeL43044 wrote: Any idea when it might be available in Canada ? Definitely interested. The capacity is a seller.
$799 +HST
$12 shipping either Expedited or Express via Canada Post
Ships September 28.
$916 all in shipped.

You got 90 days to try it out and get your money back if you don't like it.