Food & Drink

Anova Precision Cooker --Who's getting one?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2020 12:56 pm
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17870 posts
930 upvotes
Give me some examples of what you guys are looking forward to doing in this unit.. I'm always interested in new things
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12975 upvotes
Gonna wait for a Chinese knockoff.

I literally bought a full sized restaurant Combi for about $500 more than this.
May 19, 2017
44 posts
30 upvotes
Saint John
Hi gang. Great thread. Enjoy my CSO300 combi oven (199$) though I’ve cursed the diminutive 0.6L size. But for steaming veggies, seafood, omg, it rocks. I thought Cuisinart would surely build a larger unit. But instead the steam combi oven was cancelled by Cuisinart.
There are reliability issues with cso300 too. They calcify like crazy and de-calcifying is hit and miss. I fixed that by only running distilled water through the unit. When my first unit stopped making steam after a year I took it back to Canadian Tire for a free replacement. My second unit worked brilliantly on distilled water for about another year.... then one July morning, nothing, no power, no lights. I called the service number in the manual and the rep requested a zoom meeting with me plugging unit into a wall socket, then plugging another electrical appliance in so as to prove the outlet was ‘live’. I work week days so I haven’t managed that yet.
I think cuisinart ditched the cso300 steam combi’s because of service issues. 500°f heat and steam in an electrical device is liable to be hard to manufacture for the price I paid. But users of these things are diehard fans . They do SO DAMN MUCH. 100°f bread proofing, steam baked chicken wings alone OMG is my fave. Check out the customer feedback wherever you see the cso300 sold online.
I’d jump on the much larger Anova at the 700++ price point.. but there is a chance that it might be a ‘Nikola Automotive’ of the kitchen appliance world.. what’s the service history of this company? It seems all webpage and pumpers. I hope I’m wrong, I cannot afford a Meile combi and this machine looks as cool as a Badger Truck to me.
Batch 2 is ready to ship soon? Now at 799$ Can. What-what!?! By the way I’m a terrible cook that’s why I like combi.
https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-oven/
May 19, 2017
44 posts
30 upvotes
Saint John
Ok. This was quite interesting. I would to like rescind my comment that Anova looks like all web page and pumpers. I’m sure there are product pumpers but they’re all over everything online. :) This could be interesting. Electrolux has coast to coast service locations. Impressive.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anova_Culinary
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
11132 posts
6149 upvotes
Markham
liverandonoins wrote: Hi gang. Great thread. Enjoy my CSO300 combi oven (199$) though I’ve cursed the diminutive 0.6L size. But for steaming veggies, seafood, omg, it rocks. I thought Cuisinart would surely build a larger unit. But instead the steam combi oven was cancelled by Cuisinart.
There are reliability issues with cso300 too. They calcify like crazy and de-calcifying is hit and miss. I fixed that by only running distilled water through the unit. When my first unit stopped making steam after a year I took it back to Canadian Tire for a free replacement. My second unit worked brilliantly on distilled water for about another year.... then one July morning, nothing, no power, no lights. I called the service number in the manual and the rep requested a zoom meeting with me plugging unit into a wall socket, then plugging another electrical appliance in so as to prove the outlet was ‘live’. I work week days so I haven’t managed that yet.
I think cuisinart ditched the cso300 steam combi’s because of service issues. 500°f heat and steam in an electrical device is liable to be hard to manufacture for the price I paid. But users of these things are diehard fans . They do SO DAMN MUCH. 100°f bread proofing, steam baked chicken wings alone OMG is my fave. Check out the customer feedback wherever you see the cso300 sold online.
I’d jump on the much larger Anova at the 700++ price point.. but there is a chance that it might be a ‘Nikola Automotive’ of the kitchen appliance world.. what’s the service history of this company? It seems all webpage and pumpers. I hope I’m wrong, I cannot afford a Meile combi and this machine looks as cool as a Badger Truck to me.
Batch 2 is ready to ship soon? Now at 799$ Can. What-what!?! By the way I’m a terrible cook that’s why I like combi.
0.6 cu ft is too small to be practical for me. If Anova were quicker in their execution from when they announced this i might have sprung for it but I now have a Breville Smart Air Oven and it's great but no steam unfortunately. Will wait for other competitors to copy bring their version to market. I can even dehydrate and proof bread in my Breville....I don't use it for that as I have other ways.

This Precision oven can sous vide as well which is a wow without need for bags and water.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Aug 11, 2012
607 posts
185 upvotes
I'll be getting one likely when it drops below $400 or $500 CAD, I'm willing to wait a few years to see if Anova or a competitor goes into that range
Oct 24, 2005
977 posts
240 upvotes
liverandonoins wrote: Hi gang. Great thread. Enjoy my CSO300 combi oven (199$) though I’ve cursed the diminutive 0.6L size. But for steaming veggies, seafood, omg, it rocks. I thought Cuisinart would surely build a larger unit. But instead the steam combi oven was cancelled by Cuisinart.
Can you share your method for steam baked wings? I have the same cuisinart steam oven.
2006 - Pepsi/Frito Lay Win Every Hour Contest - 1279 Entries - Loser!
May 19, 2017
44 posts
30 upvotes
Saint John
Hi, Blarg!
I’m a #1 klutz in the kitchen and have a myriad of physical arthritic restrictions. So even if you’re question is a wee bit tongue-in-cheek (also delicious if prepared imaginatively) I’ll proceed to explain this real simple fall-off-bone wing recipe.

1.) Purchase 1kg+- chicken wings, (winglets or full wing) if full wing, scissor or knife cut off the end tips.
2.) (Head up, y’re gonna melty-melt this next step on stove at minimum heat) In a ramekin or metal ‘1cup’ measuring cup, add a mix of some salted butter, fresh squeezed lemon and coarse ground pepper (rosemary or whatever extra. But simple is good) You want enough butter to make it cling to wings yet enough lemon to make it sing. Pepper is up to you. I have ground pepper tolerance.
****** (Line drip tray with foil for easier cleanup)
3.) Place wings on grate. There are no COVID-19 rules for chicken wings in New Brunswick so let them hug a bit. ( if it’s a cso300, work your stuff... you have a very petit rack Slightly Smiling Face) rack on raised side so juice can drip down below. Brush on melted butter/lemon/pepper.
***(LINE DRIP TRY... second warning)
4.) ‘Steam bake’ these wings for 38 to 40 minutes at 300° to 325° for forty minutes or so.
5.) At this point remove chicken from combi oven, RAISE OVEN TEMP TO 450° steam-bake. Brush wings again with lemon/butter/pepper. Flip wings on grate, brush on more ingredients (Maybe squeeZe more Lemon on to wings)
6.) Put into oven at higher steam bake temp 450°, 6 minutes. (If a lot of liquid in tray, drain a bit or spoon back over wings)
7.) Remove from oven. Flip wings. (Rebrush on lemon butter if desired Put back in oven at 450° steam bake for another 5-6 minutes. **** YOU CAN DRY HEAT BROIL LAST STEP FOR A BIT MORE ROASTED TEXTURE & appearance. ( drain tray if filling up)
8.) Remove from oven. Assemble in a circle on larger oval/round plate. Prepare dip in ramekin/dip dish and place in centre of presentation dish.
Garnish with olives, celery .... whatever spins your wheels.
I think that’s it. I hope yours works. Thanks that was fun!!
( I like “Neil Brother Sriracha Mayo” but Tzakziki sauce & a heater like Tabasco sauce, to liking is good too)
CHEERS RFD GANG !Grinning Face
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3408 posts
1457 upvotes
Scarborough
How did you manage to get a free replacement from Crappy Tire a year after? Their "return policy" is limited to 90 days. You had a warranty issue which is covered by the manufacturer so I'm curious.
May 19, 2017
44 posts
30 upvotes
Saint John
That was first CT CSO300 from ct. ... and second unit as well . The third one that I have now is AMAZON and am going through Cuisinart Canada for warranty... I wish I could ... and might yet just send unit in original box Back to given address , as I have no time before Cuisinart service closing hour.
I love the cso300.... AND IT makes good toast, frozen pizza, but too small for a bread loaf.
Frig..... steam some giant shrimp till they are pink and delicious ...
May 19, 2017
44 posts
30 upvotes
Saint John
That was first CT CSO300 from ct. ... and second unit as well . The third one that I have now is AMAZON and am going through Cuisinart Canada for warranty... I wish I could ... and might yet just send unit in original box Back to given address , as I have no time before Cuisinart service closing hour.
I love the cso300.... AND IT makes good toast, frozen pizza, but too small for a bread loaf.
Frig..... steam some giant shrimp till they are pink and delicious ...
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
11132 posts
6149 upvotes
Markham
liverandonoins wrote: Hi, Blarg!
I’m a #1 klutz in the kitchen and have a myriad of physical arthritic restrictions. So even if you’re question is a wee bit tongue-in-cheek (also delicious if prepared imaginatively) I’ll proceed to explain this real simple fall-off-bone wing recipe.

1.) Purchase 1kg+- chicken wings, (winglets or full wing) if full wing, scissor or knife cut off the end tips.
2.) (Head up, y’re gonna melty-melt this next step on stove at minimum heat) In a ramekin or metal ‘1cup’ measuring cup, add a mix of some salted butter, fresh squeezed lemon and coarse ground pepper (rosemary or whatever extra. But simple is good) You want enough butter to make it cling to wings yet enough lemon to make it sing. Pepper is up to you. I have ground pepper tolerance.
****** (Line drip tray with foil for easier cleanup)
3.) Place wings on grate. There are no COVID-19 rules for chicken wings in New Brunswick so let them hug a bit. ( if it’s a cso300, work your stuff... you have a very petit rack Slightly Smiling Face) rack on raised side so juice can drip down below. Brush on melted butter/lemon/pepper.
***(LINE DRIP TRY... second warning)
4.) ‘Steam bake’ these wings for 38 to 40 minutes at 300° to 325° for forty minutes or so.
5.) At this point remove chicken from combi oven, RAISE OVEN TEMP TO 450° steam-bake. Brush wings again with lemon/butter/pepper. Flip wings on grate, brush on more ingredients (Maybe squeeZe more Lemon on to wings)
6.) Put into oven at higher steam bake temp 450°, 6 minutes. (If a lot of liquid in tray, drain a bit or spoon back over wings)
7.) Remove from oven. Flip wings. (Rebrush on lemon butter if desired Put back in oven at 450° steam bake for another 5-6 minutes. **** YOU CAN DRY HEAT BROIL LAST STEP FOR A BIT MORE ROASTED TEXTURE & appearance. ( drain tray if filling up)
8.) Remove from oven. Assemble in a circle on larger oval/round plate. Prepare dip in ramekin/dip dish and place in centre of presentation dish.
Garnish with olives, celery .... whatever spins your wheels.
I think that’s it. I hope yours works. Thanks that was fun!!
( I like “Neil Brother Sriracha Mayo” but Tzakziki sauce & a heater like Tabasco sauce, to liking is good too)
CHEERS RFD GANG !Grinning Face
A bit like Instant Pot [and Alton Brown has done this as well and it's kind of like even sous viding wings] wings where you steam out some of the fat and pre cook the wings....then you're speed crisping them and not worrying about doneness.

There are many ways to "skin a cat" or rather more precisely "defat the chicken wing" LOL
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Mar 16, 2007
221 posts
90 upvotes
GTA
Kenji is doing a live unboxing. Already leant something new lol. He will do a full review later.

Aug 11, 2012
607 posts
185 upvotes
nioero wrote: Kenji is doing a live unboxing. Already leant something new lol. He will do a full review later.

There are a couple posts on his Instagram, he made a baguette and some brussel sprouts later. Looked good
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19050 posts
2018 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
It's really strange how some YouTubers are so popular among a region like Kenji who has I think half a million subs but every so often I'll come across another YouTuber (chef) who has 1-2 million subs but have never came on my radar.

Recently discovered Peaceful Cuisine who's been kicking around for a good decade. 2.5 million. Pick Up Limes, vegan inspired dishes, 3 million.

Just odd how the algorithm works.