• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2022 10:19 pm
Jan 20, 2013
480 posts
269 upvotes

answered

answered
Last edited by onquest on Nov 18th, 2022 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thread Summary
User wants justification to abuse the Costco return policy.
14 replies
Mar 1, 2018
26 posts
16 upvotes
I've only bought one computer - a Chromebook, actually from Costco. I tried to return it, having never even opened the box - after about 4 months and was denied. So my guess is that they're now taking 90 days pretty seriously.
May 28, 2012
12485 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
So you want free use of a computer to tide you over in case Apple releases an updated one?
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2018
1082 posts
1622 upvotes
Montreal
I wouldn't surpass the 90-days.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2006
2704 posts
1593 upvotes
Toronto
Pls dont.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2006
1525 posts
606 upvotes
Toronto
You'll have 90 days to return any computer you buy, and expect them to be fairly strict about it. Situations like the one described are also exactly why they moved to a 90 day return policy on electronics.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2006
1525 posts
606 upvotes
Toronto
onquest wrote: Did I not just explain the circumstance? Oversimplify it all you want. I just told you I keep my computers for 7-9 years and I'd rather not commit to a model that's already 2 years old off the bat... but am stuck with needing one now.

Free? It's more like taking advantage of a billion dollar company's return policy like hundreds of people do on here and in general, in order to get the most value.
If you'd rather not commit to a model that's 2 years old, then don't buy a current MacBook. You clearly want or value having the latest and greatest, so then wait to buy the next iteration. You needing one now, but Apple having not refreshed MacBooks in a while, isn't Costco's problem.

"Taking advantage" of Costco's return policy is a very accurate way to describe it actually - I'm sure you know that's not what the spirit of the policy is intended for.

Do what you will, but I wouldn't come here expecting others to provide you with validation for what you're looking to do.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21703 posts
17378 upvotes
Markham
Unless your current 9 yr old computer is broken/acting up, why don't you just use it until the next Apple one comes out? Why do a "rental" abuse of their return policy?

FYI there's always another "latest one" coming soon.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3252 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
onquest wrote: Did I not just explain the circumstance? Oversimplify it all you want. I just told you I keep my computers for 7-9 years and I'd rather not commit to a model that's already 2 years old off the bat... but am stuck with needing one now.
So buy one now. It's tech. It's pretty much obsolete as soon as you buy it. I used to go to appleinsider or macrumors to get hints on when a new release may be pending. Sometimes there were hits and misses but they helped with my purchasing decision. Yes, it sucks when a new one is released shortly after you buy it, but it is what it is.
Free? It's more like taking advantage of a billion dollar company's return policy like hundreds of people do on here and in general, in order to get the most value.
No, you were looking to get a free upgrade. A company's return policy should not be used as an upgrade path. That's why they went to 90 days for TVs and the like - people abused it to get upgrades, which had negative impact on other customers.

Always telling when people use the "billion dollar company..." line to justify their actions. Sorry mate...you're not Robin Hood.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
7972 posts
9093 upvotes
Toronto
onquest wrote: Free? It's more like taking advantage of a billion dollar company's return policy like hundreds of people do on here and in general, in order to get the most value.
That is just wrong ... and this is a prime example of the things entitled people do, which end up screwing up things (like return policies) for the rest of us
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
90 days is still way better than any other place, but if people keep returning computers, expect it to go down to 60 days. or 45 days.
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19736 posts
28624 upvotes
Vancouver
The best time to buy a computer is to put it off until you just can’t wait any longer, then buy. If a newer model comes out the next day, you can take comfort in the fact that you just couldn’t have waited another day.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2019
2843 posts
6764 upvotes
ALLCAPS wrote: Always telling when people use the "billion dollar company..." line to justify their actions. Sorry mate...you're not Robin Hood.
Op is just a cheap and/or broke mf.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21133 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
When they say 90 days it means 90 days.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2012
2874 posts
3524 upvotes
Vancouver
Why can't you wait?
If you can't wait, then make do with your phone or get a cheap Chromebook on marketplace to tide you over until Apple's announcement

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)