• Jun 12th, 2020 10:35 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
2741 posts
3018 upvotes
Burnaby

Answering your questions about Canada Post delivery during COVID

Operating procedures have changed again, now everything except Customs due (COD/cash owing) and age verification (18/19+) will be left in your community box or doorstep. If you pay the Customs fee online we'll leave that too.

Last week "do not safedrop", certified letters and unsafe areas were optional for carding, that is no longer the case. This week's national directive is to leave everything regardless of previously unsafe areas that would've been a card for pickup (walkthrough apartment halls, unprotected street doors, leaving items in poor weather, high value items, etc). We are being questioned for bringing back too many carded items, management wants everything left en route.

If you don't want your item left at your door, hallway, etc. then you need to leave a note stating you want the item carded, use the second line of the shipping address to indicate your preference or use a Flex Delivery address. You can also choose delivery options online but they will likely be ignored as that system is aweful, written on the package is best.

Everything will go to knock and drop. Please don't greet your delivery person at the door (for all companies). Please leave us somewhere to hide your stuff, a large plastic storage container with a lid is ideal. Indicate that you want your parcels left in there, or, where ever you want them left (though we still will not enter backyards, behind a gate is likely fine as long as you indicate there are no dogs).

I've been a carrier for 10 years, I can answer most questions you might have.
Last edited by mikebc on Mar 28th, 2020 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
52 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
2741 posts
3018 upvotes
Burnaby
Theft isn't covered by our insurance payouts, so that's between you and the sender. The shippers are aware that we are not accepting signatures so they'll either indicate that the item should be carded for pickup or they'll use a different courier who hasn't adopted new policies.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15849 posts
21614 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks for the heads up. If drop & dash is the new normal for delivering everything now, I'll use Flex Delivery. Not taking chances with drop & dash and having my stuff stolen.
Stay safe out there @mikebc, thanks for what you do!
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
2741 posts
3018 upvotes
Burnaby
I've heard a single radio ad saying as much, it'd be nice if the media would report the changes. I don't know if CP will send out a blanket mailer to inform people.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2008
1629 posts
779 upvotes
Ottawa
Flex Delivery doesn't work for most people on RFD. They are scared shitless to go to SDM or their postal outlet.
What's the difference between using Flex Delivery and wanting your item not dropped? Either way you're going to pick it up.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
2741 posts
3018 upvotes
Burnaby
^^^ If the item you don't want dropped will fit in a CMB parcel compartment then you can save yourself the trip by not using Flex. If you're not sure if it'll fit in a locker or not then leave a note on your door. If it's a set of golf clubs then it's not going to fit and you can gauge your risk tolerance accordingly.

Honestly, if you don't need it right now and don't want it left at your door then don't order it. Outlets will be holding things indefinitely (not sending them back after 15 days) so you can wait it as long as needed if you are concerned about going to an outlet.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15849 posts
21614 upvotes
Vancouver
mikebc wrote: Outlets will be holding things indefinitely (not sending them back after 15 days) so you can wait it as long as needed if you are concerned about going to an outlet.
Outlets only have so much storage space. What happens when it fills up?
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
2741 posts
3018 upvotes
Burnaby
It overflows into the hallways, into the cashier area, into the back rooms. That's why we're doing everything we can to reduce load on the outlets.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3926 posts
2654 upvotes
London
u said that there is an option to pay customs fees online is that something new never even knew that was an option. how does that even work most overseas packages unless sent by ems or epacket the tracking number don't even work on the Canada post website.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
2741 posts
3018 upvotes
Burnaby
Any tracked package (barcodes starting with an R, C, H, E or L) that has been assessed duty or tax by the CBSA can be paid on the tracking page just by pulling up the history. If there isn't the option then it hasn't been assessed for payment. Untracked items rarely incur fees since they're almost always low value, but they will be assigned a valid Cx ### 13 digit alpha numeric code. Not that you'd get that code, but, it is there.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3926 posts
2654 upvotes
London
mikebc wrote: Any tracked package (barcodes starting with an R, C, H, E or L) that has been assessed duty or tax by the CBSA can be paid on the tracking page just by pulling up the history. If there isn't the option then it hasn't been assessed for payment. Untracked items rarely incur fees since they're almost always low value, but they will be assigned a valid Cx ### 13 digit alpha numeric code. Not that you'd get that code, but, it is there.
i notice this week the added an option to calculate postage for letter mail shipments when u do so it has an option to ship package but when it takes into snap ship it still only gives u regular parcel expdiated xpresspost and proity as options for printing labels for. is this a work in progress like there going to add the option to print the letter postage online so we don't have to take the package into the post office. before it wasn't even an option to calculate the postage online for letter mail they would just give a table telling u this is the rates for packages that weight so much. be nice if they get this added as an option then when u have to ship small items u could just print the postage online and drop it in the mail box without having to go in.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15849 posts
21614 upvotes
Vancouver
mikebc wrote: Any tracked package (barcodes starting with an R, C, H, E or L) that has been assessed duty or tax by the CBSA can be paid on the tracking page just by pulling up the history. If there isn't the option then it hasn't been assessed for payment. Untracked items rarely incur fees since they're almost always low value, but they will be assigned a valid Cx ### 13 digit alpha numeric code. Not that you'd get that code, but, it is there.
But didn't Canada Post eliminate tracking for inbound international packages?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3926 posts
2654 upvotes
London
Kiraly wrote: But didn't Canada Post eliminate tracking for inbound international packages?
just registered mail items. items send ems or epacket from overseas can still be tracked. usps first class and up can be tracked from the us.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
16936 posts
33308 upvotes
Scarborough
jackrabbit000 wrote: So are these changes going to be posted at all the postal outlets? How would the general public know about this? I didn't until you posted it and not everyone is on RFD.

^^^ Flex Delivery doesn't work for most people on RFD. They are scared shitless to go to SDM or their postal outlet.
Looks like Canada Post did issue a press release on Monday.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/i ... 89761.html
Parcel Delivery: To eliminate customer interactions at the door, reduce post office customer traffic and support social & physical distancing, we have implemented a Knock, Drop and Go approach. Delivery employees will knock or ring, choose the safest location available to leave the item and then depart for the next address. This change eliminates the need for signatures at the door and greatly reduces the number of parcels sent to our post offices for pick-up.

Items that require Proof of Age, ID or Customs payments will be sent directly from our depots to a retail post office for pick-up with no restrictions on when customers can pick up the item. Customers will receive a Delivery Notice Card in their mail letting them know which post office is holding their item for pickup.
RFD Staff - Currently AFK; PM CarrieRFD your RFD related questions
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
2741 posts
3018 upvotes
Burnaby
Kiraly wrote: But didn't Canada Post eliminate tracking for inbound international packages?
The stopped tracking items with the R prefix since they're (almost always) being sent as lettermail (<30g), which under our UPU agreement meant we were getting a fraction of the actual cost of delivering them. International items with a U prefix were never tracked in Canada, U is a domestic tracking prefix only.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
2741 posts
3018 upvotes
Burnaby
aaron158 wrote: ...is this a work in progress...
No idea I just deliver mail.
Sep 19, 2004
738 posts
393 upvotes
Toronto
We can leave parcels in the lobby or hallway in a apartment?
Shouldn’t we still find a safe place to drop?

I believe our csr will get overwhelmed calls from addresses complaining lost packages.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
2741 posts
3018 upvotes
Burnaby
Apartments are still that grey area. Hallway drops are apparently okay if you want to go up (which you don't have to), the scenario we were told was if it was a walkthrough apartment building. As for lobby panels that really needs clarification on what they want us to do. I will continue buzzing and waiting in the lobby like usual. I can leave someone's parcel 2m away from me while I stuff the panel.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2508 posts
759 upvotes
GTA
mikebc wrote: Apartments are still that grey area. Hallway drops are apparently okay if you want to go up (which you don't have to), the scenario we were told was if it was a walkthrough apartment building. As for lobby panels that really needs clarification on what they want us to do. I will continue buzzing and waiting in the lobby like usual. I can leave someone's parcel 2m away from me while I stuff the panel.
I'm self isolating and have not left my home since mid Feb, but my packages go directly to the post office and a card gets left. No one buzzes so I can go down the elevator and get the package and no one knocked. The status was "not available to receive" only 20 minutes after delivery started (as shown on tracking log) - how could this happen so fast? The mailman for my building never bothered to even try. ALL packages from UPS and Fedex have reached me. None of the packages required signature as I'm buying essentials like shampoo, toothpaste, vitamins, from Amazon which are all low cost items and have asked Amazon not to request signature on all my packages. Amazon have promised that all parcels shipped by them (not 3rd party seller) will not be via Canada Post and I've now received 7 packages directly via their employees thankfully. Maybe our area is just very unlucky as Amazon called Canada Post and so did I and they agreed to redeliver but never did.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
2741 posts
3018 upvotes
Burnaby
Canada Post won't redeliver, you're just getting lip service. If you're putting your buzzer number on your parcel and they're not buzzing then you'll have to call and complain. Calling Amazon won't fix anything about your postal carrier not attempting.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)