Answers to your DENTAL questions during Corona Shutdown

[OP]
May 13, 2012
544 posts
236 upvotes
Toronto

Answers to your DENTAL questions during Corona Shutdown

Hello,
I'm a dentist in Toronto. We were asked to close during this pandemic from RCDSO and ODA. I feel that it was the right decision.
All dental offices were having issues getting supply of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). It is being directed to hospitals for future outbreak possibilities.
Most dental offices are closed completely thus your urgent questions may not be answered in timely manner.
I would like to start this thread so that maybe myself and dental colleagues in this forum can answer your questions during this difficult times.
I would like to kindly ask NOT to PM for my office information.
I would like to remain anonymous.
For emergencies please visit your local dental emergency centres that are opened. Most likely your dentist's voicemail should have this information.
As per RCDSO these are the conditions that can be treated at such centres if it exists. Even if so if the centre cannot get enough supply of N95 masks, it will no longer take patients.
In dentistry, a “true emergency situation” includes oral-facial trauma, significant infection, prolonged bleeding or pain which cannot be managed by over-the-counter medications.
I may not be able to answer your questions due to limitation of communication and for legal reasons.
This is NOT A PROFESSIONAL consultation.
44 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3930 posts
3479 upvotes
The NORTH
Well this sucks... I can feel a tooth ache coming on. Hopefully you were not in attendance at the Pacific Dental Conference earlier in the month.
[OP]
May 13, 2012
544 posts
236 upvotes
Toronto
kr0zet wrote: Well this sucks... I can feel a tooth ache coming on. Hopefully you were not in attendance at the Pacific Dental Conference earlier in the month.
Nope
It's too far. I'm in Toronto.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1293 posts
1795 upvotes
West
Was there a set date on when services would be suspended until? And realistically, in your professional opinion, seeing as COVID-19 will linger for quite a while, when do you think non-essential dental services will realistically resume?

I recognize that the latter is hard to comment on, but in my industry, we are likely shutting down on advice from our professional association for two weeks; however, I doubt things will be beyond treating "essential" cases, with heavy precautions in place, for some time.
[OP]
May 13, 2012
544 posts
236 upvotes
Toronto
Phonophoresis wrote: Was there a set date on when services would be suspended until? And realistically, in your professional opinion, seeing as COVID-19 will linger for quite a while, when do you think non-essential dental services will realistically resume?

I recognize that the latter is hard to comment on, but in my industry, we are likely shutting down on advice from our professional association for two weeks; however, I doubt things will be beyond treating "essential" cases, with heavy precautions in place, for some time.
We were asked to be "closed" until first week of April
I honestly think this was just so that people don't panic. Realistically we are looking at 3 months.
For example, China, Korea, Italy and other parts where lock down happened earlier are still partially (mostly) locked down.
It's been 3 months
Oct 3, 2017
707 posts
548 upvotes
I had a dental emergency Monday night and finally had someone look at it today. My dentist was seeing emergencies but did not classify mine as such. Was told to call the local dental association for the number of a dentist who was treating emergencies but that dentist wasn't seeing anyone other than to prescribe antibiotics or pain meds.

Called association today because the dentist on call changes daily. This dentist did see me and re-cement a crown that had come off.

The restrictions in Ontario are no spraying and no power/air tools like the drill among others.
[OP]
May 13, 2012
544 posts
236 upvotes
Toronto
George613 wrote: I had a dental emergency Monday night and finally had someone look at it today. My dentist was seeing emergencies but did not classify mine as such. Was told to call the local dental association for the number of a dentist who was treating emergencies but that dentist wasn't seeing anyone other than to prescribe antibiotics or pain meds.

Called association today because the dentist on call changes daily. This dentist did see me and re-cement a crown that had come off.

The restrictions in Ontario are no spraying and no power/air tools like the drill among others.
The bolded part is only applicable if it is a true emergency
In dentistry, a “true emergency situation” includes oral-facial trauma, significant infection, prolonged bleeding or pain which cannot be managed by over-the-counter medications.

This is why RCDSO keeps sending out emails to all dentist daily to remind to remain "closed" for all treatments
RCDSO cannot force dental offices to close due to legal reasons.
Your situation was not an emergency. I'm glad you were able to get it resolved.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
1969 posts
471 upvotes
In Hiding
I have pain on a molar next to the gum where there's a ridge. For the same problem on a different tooth, dentist did "surface etching" and filling. What can I do to take away the pain and reduce chance of it getting worse? Am using Sensodyne, Plax and Zero. Will applying clove oil help?
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
3196 posts
650 upvotes
Aurora, ON
I have a situation where I was getting two crowns done on teeth that showed thinning enamel and it was recommended to cap the teeth as a preventative.
One tooth has the temporary crown on - the permanent crown is at the office but I have to wait. The other tooth, the longer I wait the more chance it'll be a root canal since I've been forced to wait.
I can only hope it's not 3 months!
[OP]
May 13, 2012
544 posts
236 upvotes
Toronto
Catnippy wrote: I have pain on a molar next to the gum where there's a ridge. For the same problem on a different tooth, dentist did "surface etching" and filling. What can I do to take away the pain and reduce chance of it getting worse? Am using Sensodyne, Plax and Zero. Will applying clove oil help?
clove oil will not help
use regular toothpastes and listerine for now
As we won't be able to find the root of the problem over this forum, keep good hyg
don't be afraid to brush the area
don't be aggressive though
use floss even to the last tooth of the arch (distal side)
don't worry too much as it does not sound urgent
if you get swellings and feel breathing is compromised due to it go to the ER
otherwise keep good hyg!
[OP]
May 13, 2012
544 posts
236 upvotes
Toronto
jackie999 wrote: I have a situation where I was getting two crowns done on teeth that showed thinning enamel and it was recommended to cap the teeth as a preventative.
One tooth has the temporary crown on - the permanent crown is at the office but I have to wait. The other tooth, the longer I wait the more chance it'll be a root canal since I've been forced to wait.
I can only hope it's not 3 months!
Rarely you would need a root canal due to waiting 3 months under your circumstances
don't worry and just keep good hyg!
Nov 1, 2015
91 posts
126 upvotes
London, ON
Not an emergency. Invisalign patient on last aligner of original treatment plan. Refinement required and next round of aligners ordered based on current tooth position, but did not arrive prior to shutdown.

Last aligner therefore worn longer than designed for and now cracked. No retainer yet provided to patient as treatment incomplete.

Keep wearing last cracked aligner despite mouth irritation and increasingly poor fit? Go back a step to previous aligner and know that refinement aligner fit will be compromised if and when they arrive due to teeth shifting? Something else?
Jun 23, 2006
355 posts
127 upvotes
Could you please tell me what I could use to deep clean & de-stain my Invisalign trays? I’m at the end of my treatment but I’m awaiting for my refinement set. For my weekly trays, I’ve been using a 75/25 mix of 3% H2O2 and Listerine and the staining hadn’t been too bad. I’ve tried the sample pack of cleaning crystals but it’s really no different, maybe even worse coloration. Since all BC dentists are suspending non-emergency work, I will have to wait indefinitely to get my refinements. This last tray is getting really gross at its 5th week... what can I do? Thanks.
[OP]
May 13, 2012
544 posts
236 upvotes
Toronto
Curiousah wrote: Not an emergency. Invisalign patient on last aligner of original treatment plan. Refinement required and next round of aligners ordered based on current tooth position, but did not arrive prior to shutdown.

Last aligner therefore worn longer than designed for and now cracked. No retainer yet provided to patient as treatment incomplete.

Keep wearing last cracked aligner despite mouth irritation and increasingly poor fit? Go back a step to previous aligner and know that refinement aligner fit will be compromised if and when they arrive due to teeth shifting? Something else?
Ask if your dentist/orthodontist can arrange for you to pick up or delivered
I'm sure the office will be opened by a receptionist at one point during the week.
if the provider is going to be closed for a long time, unfortunately best thing will be to go back one step
If you are on 20th tray, go back to 19th tray. When things are back to normal, 20th tray may be ordered and then the refinement phase.
[OP]
May 13, 2012
544 posts
236 upvotes
Toronto
stoppy wrote: Could you please tell me what I could use to deep clean & de-stain my Invisalign trays? I’m at the end of my treatment but I’m awaiting for my refinement set. For my weekly trays, I’ve been using a 75/25 mix of 3% H2O2 and Listerine and the staining hadn’t been too bad. I’ve tried the sample pack of cleaning crystals but it’s really no different, maybe even worse coloration. Since all BC dentists are suspending non-emergency work, I will have to wait indefinitely to get my refinements. This last tray is getting really gross at its 5th week... what can I do? Thanks.
Unfortunately the trays are designed to last 2 weeks. Thus the terrible wear and tear for these trays past the point.
Although it may look dirty as long as you brush it off, it's ok. Don't be aggressive as they are fragile by this point
Try to get in touch with your dentist's office. They may be opened sometime during the week by the receptionist only
Ask if you will be able to pick up refinement trays or retainers for the short term.
We were given another update from RCDSO to improvise with guidelines under certain circumstances like yours.
You may be in touch by your dentist next week possibly.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)