• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2021 11:50 pm
[OP]
Feb 11, 2009
307 posts
100 upvotes

Ant activity in paver patio (pics)

Hello,

I've been having a couple of ants here and there inside the house and been tracking ant activity in the back yard. I know there is probably a colony under my paver patio.

A couple of days ago i gave a liquid bait to a large number of ant. Today, i noticed that there was a huge swarm coming out to the surface for no particular reason. There was no food or anything that they were eating and just sort of moving or something. I was wondering what kind of ant activity that represent. Typically, a swarm would happen if there is food for them. Did the poison work and they're moving or just a coincidence?

Also I poured boiling water on the patio holes a couple of days ago as well, but I think the result is limited because i have polymeric sand in most of the patio joints.

If anyone has idea what i can do to get rid of them, or have them move further away from the house, let me know!
Thx

Here's what it looks like
Images
  • IMG_0159.jpg
18 replies
Jul 4, 2007
471 posts
409 upvotes
Pickering, Ontario
Had the same thing happen to me. Went back a few hours later and they were all gone.

I think they were just 'moving'
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14988 posts
9391 upvotes
Toronto
I get this a lot. You can't stop them, just mash them up or light them on fire. They have nested under the stones and will be around forever. Likely, my guess is that they are increasing the size of the nest and needed all hands on deck, lol.

Possible something with sugar dropped there?
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1157 posts
542 upvotes
Put some ant bait powder. You will have to repeat for a few days as it may blow away. They will come back repeatedly
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
22280 posts
3564 upvotes
Toronto
get some Borax & mix with some sugar and add water to make a paste....you can either dip cotton balls or I just leave the paste out....

This does work! The ants take the sugar paste back to the hive & feed the queen - they end up dying in a few days & then gone for the rest of the year.

The ants do come back every year or so - I whip out the Borax and do it all over again - works like a charm each time!

Just be careful with pets or small kids around Borax as it will cause upset tummies!
Steps:
1. Mix 1/2 C sugar, 1 1/2 Tbsp Borax, and 1.5 C warm water.
2. Soak cotton balls in the mixture, and put them out near the mess of ants.
3. The sugar attracts the ants, and they’ll take the Borax with it back to their home.
Source: https://www.mashupmom.com/yes-borax-got ... -the-ants/

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2991 posts
662 upvotes
Ancaster
Ant colonies are the necessary evil of having interlocking stone. Every year it's the same with colonies popping up everywhere on our driveway and our pool deck. They always seems to show up in the same places.

The best luck I've had is with bait stations that target the queen. The workers bring the bait to the queen and once she's out of the picture the colony isn't far behind.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/terro- ... 1000855017
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8426 posts
3006 upvotes
Maple
ji2o0k wrote: get some Borax & mix with some sugar and add water to make a paste....you can either dip cotton balls or I just leave the paste out....

This does work! The ants take the sugar paste back to the hive & feed the queen - they end up dying in a few days & then gone for the rest of the year.

The ants do come back every year or so - I whip out the Borax and do it all over again - works like a charm each time!

Just be careful with pets or small kids around Borax as it will cause upset tummies!

I will try this out, every summer the ants came and pushed out the sand in my pavers.
Dec 25, 2006
619 posts
500 upvotes
Ottawa
Welcome to the world on interlock. I have quite a bit of interlock, and I see this all the time. Every morning I come out to a few new sand mounds. Drives me crazy. I've tried every trick in the book. Most work to a certain extent, but the ants will always come back again eventually. Interlock is heaven for ants.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2012
1015 posts
313 upvotes
Cambridge
ji2o0k wrote: get some Borax & mix with some sugar and add water to make a paste....you can either dip cotton balls or I just leave the paste out....

We have the same issue.. backyard patio has mounds of sand removed from the paver stones by ants, almost looks like a desert of white sand!
Have tried using Diatomaceous earth on the mounds and while that stops activity on that specific mound, another one pops up few inches from it.

Seems like the TERRO Liquid Ant Baits from HomeDepot suggested above contains Borax. Can it be considered as a ready to use version of what you suggested?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9535 posts
2153 upvotes
Somewhere
I used those round ant baits successfully many times.

If it's outdoor, just use a little bit of double sided tape to tape them down until the ants get to them.
:confused:
Jan 8, 2009
793 posts
451 upvotes
GTA
I had this same problem and I made up a concoction of a few drops of peppermint oil (essential oils), a little bit of dish soap, and lots of hot water in a mop bucket. I had tried boiling water to no avail a few weeks before. I poured this concoction (had to make up several batches) all over my interlocking brick patio and now they've been gone for a good week with no sign of any activity except a very occasional lone ant. I wanted something natural because of all the birds and chipmunks in our backyard and I won't mind if I have to redo it a couple times this summer. It's easy enough to make up, inexpensive and non-harmful to the rest of the wildlife.
Nov 27, 2020
140 posts
352 upvotes
I have interlock. I don't see this as a problem but then again, I'm not the type to want to live in a sterile, bleak, paved environment. They are ANTS. Jeeeezus H. Christ. Another RFD classic.
Dec 25, 2018
440 posts
810 upvotes
deals4realz wrote: I have interlock. I don't see this as a problem but then again, I'm not the type to want to live in a sterile, bleak, paved environment. They are ANTS. Jeeeezus H. Christ. Another RFD classic.
The problem is they will dig out the polymeric sand and possibly create gaps under the paver. Then you may have level issues in the future. Ya great I love ants but not destroying my property
Deal Addict
May 8, 2007
1143 posts
361 upvotes
Fraser Valley, BC
Those look like “pavement ants” about 1/8” long, regular ants are about 1/4”. They are very common in my area, can now be seen emerging in large numbers at various spots in city sidewalks. I had some under my front sidewalk and they were walking into house at a gap under the wall bottom plate board, I plugged that gap so hopefully they stay outside. Normal poisons such as ant baits and borax seem to work, but it takes a while, and repeated placement of poisons is necessary otherwise they rebuild their colonies and come back.
Last edited by adams7 on May 23rd, 2021 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
22280 posts
3564 upvotes
Toronto
jansh84 wrote: Seems like the TERRO Liquid Ant Baits from HomeDepot suggested above contains Borax. Can it be considered as a ready to use version of what you suggested?
Prolly? Not sure...the Borax works.....so I guess a pro version would be just as good?

The problem with the ants is they started coming into the house through the backyard sliding door & through the baseboard/quarter rd. Who knows what they are doing within the walls of the house....yikes.

So best to kill them at source...

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10620 posts
5923 upvotes
Paris
ji2o0k wrote: Prolly? Not sure...the Borax works.....so I guess a pro version would be just as good?

The problem with the ants is they started coming into the house through the backyard sliding door & through the baseboard/quarter rd. Who knows what they are doing within the walls of the house....yikes.

So best to kill them at source...
Boric acid is better. More concentrated. And cheap. Bought enough to kill all the ants in my hometown for $5 at the local pharmacy.
Nov 27, 2020
140 posts
352 upvotes
Jerico wrote: Boric acid is better. More concentrated. And cheap. Bought enough to kill all the ants in my hometown for $5 at the local pharmacy.
No wonder the aardvark forums keep talking about what a dump Paris is. Can't get a meal anywhere.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10620 posts
5923 upvotes
Paris
deals4realz wrote: No wonder the aardvark forums keep talking about what a dump Paris is. Can't get a meal anywhere.
The possums are doing well. F-ing ticks.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1211 posts
314 upvotes
Vancouver
Same issue here.

I think almost everyone has ants issue at some point. The key is to control their population.
I don't think you can prevent or get rid of them 100% unless you put lots of chemical around your house for an extended period of time....which does more harm than good.