Food & Drink

Antibiotic free meat?

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 26th, 2019 2:10 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 1, 2017
1528 posts
871 upvotes

Antibiotic free meat?

Is this just a scam?

I know there's an over use of antibiotics in the farming industry,( leading to antibiotic resistant bacteria) , but is there value from buying meat packaged as "antibiotic free".

Is the meat actually antibiotic free? Are there legal requirements that need to be met before sticking that label on a package of chicken?

Is over use of antibiotics even a problem in Canada?
28 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36249 posts
10403 upvotes
Ottawa
PerformingAzura wrote: Is this just a scam?

I know there's an over use of antibiotics in the farming industry,( leading to antibiotic resistant bacteria) , but is there value from buying meat packaged as "antibiotic free".

Is the meat actually antibiotic free? Are there legal requirements that need to be met before sticking that label on a package of chicken?

Is over use of antibiotics even a problem in Canada?
Yes.
Antibiotics are allowed.
https://www.agriculturemorethanever.ca/ ... -and-food/
https://www.unlockfood.ca/en/articles/f ... ction.aspx
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 1, 2017
1528 posts
871 upvotes
Canada has strict regulations for withdrawal periods, which is the amount of time that must pass before sending a treated animal or its products for processing. This procedure ensures antibiotics have left an animal’s system so that residues don’t end up in food, and testing is done regularly to verify compliance. For example, in 2013, more than 99.9% of both domestic and imported beef products were free from residues. And, if any residues are found, the beef is not allowed to enter the food chain.
So it is a scam? Just upping the price because of a fancy label.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3544 posts
718 upvotes
Toronto
My husband can eat "regular" meat, I cannot. I absolutely have to have organic meat (and dairy) or suffer the various consequences. When it comes to fruit and vegetables, organic or not, I have issues due to acid in my blood (note - I do not have acid reflux). Regardless of what people say experience is everything. There are many people who experience the same reactions that I do.

I also check the dates.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27825 posts
13422 upvotes
Blanche123 wrote: I absolutely have to have organic meat (and dairy) or suffer the various consequences.
I have questions.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4352 upvotes
PerformingAzura wrote: So it is a scam? Just upping the price because of a fancy label.
Sounds like a scam to me... and gives me every reason never to set foot in A&W Canada since they use that as a selling feature. Not that I ever go there as their burgers are undersized overpriced crap.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
9645 posts
3905 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Sounds like a scam to me... and gives me every reason never to set foot in A&W Canada since they use that as a selling feature. Not that I ever go there as their burgers are undersized overpriced crap.
do tell, what common fast burger places are better than A&W? btw, the uncle burger is 5 oz, double teen/ papa are 6 oz
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4352 upvotes
ShoNuff2 wrote: do tell, what common fast burger places are better than A&W? btw, the uncle burger is 5 oz, double teen/ papa are 6 oz
Two words: FIVE GUYS.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
9645 posts
3905 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Two words: FIVE GUYS.
more expensive (especially if you have A&W coupons that regularly come out) and questionable if it's better than a properly cooked A&W burger...although i do admit not all locations cook the burgers consistently.

i highly recommend trying out Mama's Boys burgers. best burger i've had in the GTA...it's in the east end to boot
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27825 posts
13422 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Two words: FIVE GUYS.
To be fair, while a well known name, I don't really consider this fast food due to the number of locations relative to "real" fast food.
I've never looked until now, but it's a good thing I'm not a fan of this chain because I'm literally in the middle of all 4 where all 4 are on the edges of GVRD.
The absolute closest one to me is about 20km away compared to McDonald's where I can see 4 from my balcony.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27825 posts
13422 upvotes
ShoNuff2 wrote: do tell, what common fast burger places are better than A&W? btw, the uncle burger is 5 oz, double teen/ papa are 6 oz
In the realm of common fast food, I prefer Wendys.
Even McDonald's to be honest.

A&W is funny because they can't source enough beef to use Canadian. They have to source from all over the world.

I only like some Canadian things, but beef is definitely one of them. Go Alberta!
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4352 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: In the realm of common fast food, I prefer Wendys.
Gotta agree. Wendy's beats A&W hands down.
"Quality is our recipe" > "we use antibiotic free beef as an excuse to charge double"
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6664 posts
2998 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I often buy President's Choice Free From meats, especially when it is on sale, marked down 30% and I have PCO personal offer. The pork, at least, is much tastier and juicier than the normal cheaper stuff (e.g., whole pork loin for <$2/lb). My wife and I decided it is better to pay a bit more for the good stuff. Haven't had the lamb leg yet as that was frozen.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36249 posts
10403 upvotes
Ottawa
Blanche123 wrote: My husband can eat "regular" meat, I cannot. I absolutely have to have organic meat (and dairy) or suffer the various consequences. When it comes to fruit and vegetables, organic or not, I have issues due to acid in my blood (note - I do not have acid reflux). Regardless of what people say experience is everything. There are many people who experience the same reactions that I do.

I also check the dates.
Organic does not mean the animals are not getting antibiotics. It just means that they try and feed them materiel's that have no pesticides or herbicides. The key word is that they try...cannot be guaranteed.
Antibiotics are medicines and all animals can legally be given them.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/faqs-can ... d-1.985587
Organic is regulated but....there are certainly ways around the regulators. https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/ca ... eport-says
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1075 upvotes
Blanche123 wrote: My husband can eat "regular" meat, I cannot. I absolutely have to have organic meat (and dairy) or suffer the various consequences. When it comes to fruit and vegetables, organic or not, I have issues due to acid in my blood (note - I do not have acid reflux). Regardless of what people say experience is everything. There are many people who experience the same reactions that I do.

I also check the dates.
What exactly constitutes “organic” meat that you claim is superior to regular?
You may just be allergic to a product used in regualar meat that isn’t used in organic.
Member
User avatar
Feb 28, 2012
297 posts
153 upvotes
Vaughan
toronto19850 wrote: What exactly constitutes “organic” meat that you claim is superior to regular?
You may just be allergic to a product used in regualar meat that isn’t used in organic.
Organic meat is supposed to mean free from antibiotics, pesticides, and fertilizers. There are also other items organic meat is supposed to be free from. Every human being will have to fight these elements off once they enter the body, i.e., the liver filters out the toxins. Most people will not exhibit symptoms, but some people do and for some people it can be severe.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4352 upvotes
ShoNuff2 wrote: more expensive (especially if you have A&W coupons that regularly come out)
A coupon doesn't make a crappy burger any better. That's like saying HP sauce can fix a bad steak. I wouldn't eat at A&W Canada even if it was free, that's how low my opinion of their product is.
Five Guys makes a quality product (and never offers coupons) which I'm willing to pay for. The fact they don't do coupons, combos, Groupons, freebies, loyalty programs, etc and their restaurants are usually busy, shows that I'm not alone with that opinion.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
9645 posts
3905 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: In the realm of common fast food, I prefer Wendys.
Even McDonald's to be honest.

A&W is funny because they can't source enough beef to use Canadian. They have to source from all over the world.

I only like some Canadian things, but beef is definitely one of them. Go Alberta!
at least all of them don't use fillers unlike that horrid H place. McD's is ok for a quick and dirty fix, but the patties tend to be dry (i haven't tried the new and "improved" BM yet). Wendy's and A&W patties are better. there's just something about a teen burger that's puts it all together the best...for a ff burger that is.
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: A coupon doesn't make a crappy burger any better. That's like saying HP sauce can fix a bad steak. I wouldn't eat at A&W Canada even if it was free, that's how low my opinion of their product is.
you conveniently left out the rest of my quote. i wonder why that is.
i said it's questionable if it's any better than an A&W burger...the addition of the coupons makes A&W makes it a much better deal.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 1, 2017
1528 posts
871 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: I often buy President's Choice Free From meats, especially when it is on sale, marked down 30% and I have PCO personal offer. The pork, at least, is much tastier and juicier than the normal cheaper stuff (e.g., whole pork loin for <$2/lb). My wife and I decided it is better to pay a bit more for the good stuff. Haven't had the lamb leg yet as that was frozen.
When comparing sale prices, the "free from" stuff is usually double the price for the same item. Also I'd take fresh meat over reduced expiring meat everytime.

That said, I think the maple leaf prime "free from" wins out over the PC purely from the ethnical stand point.
Apparently maple leaf prime "free from" meat is ethnical sourced and in the case of chickens, they are allowed to roam free instead of being trapped in cages.

I'm not sure what the norm is in Canada, but I wouldn't mind paying more if it means not supporting those caged chicken farms.


Edit:https://www.humanecanada.ca/canadas_bat ... lly_begins

I haven't fact checked this yet, but it looks like battery cages are being phased out, so even there probably isn't a difference between the two
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4352 upvotes
ShoNuff2 wrote: at least all of them don't use fillers unlike that horrid H place.
i said it's questionable if it's any better than an A&W burger...the addition of the coupons makes A&W makes it a much better deal.
The horrid H place that some idiots on here think is burger perfection... SMH... same people who think that TH place serves coffee and pastry perfection...

To me Five Guys serves a great burger and A&W serves a shit one. That is my opinion and I spend my money accordingly.
You and @death_hawk are not fans of Five Guys so you'll spend your money elsewhere. That's fine too. Where you choose to eat does not affect me*.

* see Chick-Fil-A threads to read posts by some people who don't agree with that statement

Top