Home & Garden

In anticipation for the new rebate program I am looking at pricing out windows - Im terrified.

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 10th, 2021 10:25 am
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
2007 posts
1743 upvotes
GTA
Jerico wrote: I see it all the time with windows too. People want grills, which cost them more money for less efficient windows. I have had people opt out of casement for sliding windows (as they are very slightly less) and then spend that money on grills. So aggravating.
While on this topic, although from the sounds of it you would just recommend going without it, what would your recommend for windows with a diamond pattern? Any specific suppliers you would recommend over the other for decorative windows?
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12150 posts
7344 upvotes
Paris
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: While on this topic, although from the sounds of it you would just recommend going without it, what would your recommend for windows with a diamond pattern? Any specific suppliers you would recommend over the other for decorative windows?
Whatever window they make, the same time and care they put into making the window they will do with the grills. So a good window company isnt going to put in awesome grills, or crap grills, but just simply good grills. For a diamond pattern you need someone with good to great fit and finish on their windows as the intersections can be a real eye sore if done half assed.

My window company recommendation right now is still VinylGuard.
Dec 29, 2019
278 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Jerico wrote: I see it all the time with windows too. People want grills, which cost them more money for less efficient windows. I have had people opt out of casement for sliding windows (as they are very slightly less) and then spend that money on grills. So aggravating.
Grills make a window less efficient?
I got grills for the look and I don't think they cost more.. but they are rhe "fake" kind where it's inside the glass panes (because that's easier to clean lol).

I got triple pane low-e 366 casements or something though because I also wanted them to energy star qualify for the rebates.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12150 posts
7344 upvotes
Paris
Meibatsu wrote: Grills make a window less efficient?
I got grills for the look and I don't think they cost more.. but they are rhe "fake" kind where it's inside the glass panes (because that's easier to clean lol).

I got triple pane low-e 366 casements or something though because I also wanted them to energy star qualify for the rebates.
Yes they cost a nominal amount of money, and they make the window less efficient. $30-40 a window for what you got.