Automotive

Antifreeze leaked out and car can barely steer for some reason

  • Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2021 5:50 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
2008 posts
2319 upvotes
TG3857 wrote: Good idea. I was going to see if mechanic wanted to take a look and then confirm later on but of course, there's a good chance he'll say don't bother.

IMG_1210.jpg
So the belt came off for some reason. Maybe it broke, failed tensioner. Should be worthwhile to get it checked first rather than scrapping it.
Member
User avatar
May 31, 2008
478 posts
861 upvotes
GTA area
George613 wrote: I thought CAA will not tow a vehicle more than once ie from point of first call to home in your case but then not from your home to a garage or from a garage they towed it to, then to another garage.

Maybe they changed their rules but it used to work this way. Anyone know their policy now?
Good point. I believe you're right as it has happened to people here several times. Best course of action is to drive it down the street a little (OP said tow truck driver was able to park it in his driveway) or if not, roll, push, drag it down the street so it's in front of a new address. The tow truck driver won't care as he is getting paid either way, but the call centre may either refuse or charge for the towing if it's the same address/issue.

wish-id-known-about-caa-towing-policy-i ... e-2116779/
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 12, 2007
8076 posts
6656 upvotes
Ottawa
Won't go very far with that belt off like that. I mean, it'll move but it will overheat pretty quickly with the water pump basically immobilized. Yeah, this is a cheap fix if it's DIY but when you have to add a tow, it starts to bump up against the value of the vehicle. Question is why the belt came off but I guess it's immaterial since the OP has given up on the car.

As to the original question: leaked antifreeze did not cause this but it is possible (even likely) that the water pump pulley broke and caused the leak and the belt to disengage. In fairness, the OP did not open this thread with a categorical sentiment that the car was done as the opening post was: "This car ain't worth $500 and unless replacing the coolant tank is like $200 and will somehow fix the steering problem as well, then it looks like this car is done." In other words, the OP expressed that they might keep it going if it was "like $200" to fix. Thing is, it likely will be around that because these water pumps are cheap (as are tensioners and belts).
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 4, 2016
91 posts
28 upvotes
Thanks for the replies. Good to know. I may just get the mechanic to look at it anyway although I've kind of been looking forward to the day I replace this. Needed the justification. But at the same time, I don't want to see a car payment come out of my account every month. And the need for this car over the past 14 months has been drastically reduced without needing to commute to the train station 10 minutes away. Just been using it as a beater. And wife is on mat leave for another 17 months so not a lot of driving needed except to join her parents at the cottage this summer. But it sure would be a lot more convenient for a family of four to be rolling around in something more spacious than the Accord, which ain't bad in size terms, but the Fusion is bigger, though I never used it as a family vehicle.

There is also the matter of the cat. converter. If the mechanic says that's going to need replacing in the near future then I suppose it's truly not worth putting anything more into this car.

By the way, if it matters, the belt was still on its track but it didn't look like it was tight so I pulled on it and just left it up like that to demonstrate it came undone.

I've never heard of that CAA policy and surprised it's happened as often as it sounds. That mechanic my in-laws use has a gate closing off the narrow entrance to their lot. Since I've never been there at night I have no idea if they actually close it at night. If the tow truck brought it there at night and the gate was closed, he would have to leave in the entrance way and drop the key in lock box, which I suppose is feasible, but could be awkward. So I had the car towed to my house first, called the mechanic in the morning, who said he's very busy. I ended up having it towed there a couple days later. So I've done that twice before, bringing home at night, figure out what to do, then having it brought to mechanic. Also since wife has CAA as well, we have plenty of service calls for the year.
Last edited by TG3857 on May 23rd, 2021 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
26944 posts
11375 upvotes
Socially Distanced
TG3857 wrote: I don't want to see a car payment come out of my account every month. And the need for this car over the past 14 months has been drastically reduced without needing to commute to the train station 10 minutes away.
Start putting aside money each month for your next vehicle if things reopen and you need it in the future. Do the same with the insurance savings.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 4, 2016
91 posts
28 upvotes
I should also mention, as I learned from reading up on this, antifreeze is fatal in small quantities. It also has a sweet taste to it. So with that puddle of it being in the street, and people walking their dogs, it was important to take care of that. And I'm on a cul-de-sac with sidewalk only on one side so people are always walking on the street.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15131 upvotes
TG3857 wrote: I should also mention, as I learned from reading up on this, antifreeze is fatal in small quantities. It also has a sweet taste to it.
While it's surprising you didn't know this, pretty sure every fluid in a car is not a good idea to ingest. Except maybe blinker fluid as I heard that comes in orange and raspberry flavours (depending on signal bulb colour) and is safe for human consumption ;)
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4634 posts
4891 upvotes
GTA
I would fix it. Looks like a cheap repair.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 12, 2007
8076 posts
6656 upvotes
Ottawa
TG3857 wrote: Thanks for the replies. Good to know. I may just get the mechanic to look at it anyway although I've kind of been looking forward to the day I replace this. Needed the justification. But at the same time, I don't want to see a car payment come out of my account every month. And the need for this car over the past 14 months has been drastically reduced without needing to commute to the train station 10 minutes away. Just been using it as a beater. And wife is on mat leave for another 17 months so not a lot of driving needed except to join her parents at the cottage this summer. But it sure would be a lot more convenient for a family of four to be rolling around in something more spacious than the Accord, which ain't bad in size terms, but the Fusion is bigger, though I never used it as a family vehicle.

There is also the matter of the cat. converter. If the mechanic says that's going to need replacing in the near future then I suppose it's truly not worth putting anything more into this car.

By the way, if it matters, the belt was still on its track but it didn't look like it was tight so I pulled on it and just left it up like that to demonstrate it came undone.

I've never heard of that CAA policy and surprised it's happened as often as it sounds. That mechanic my in-laws use has a gate closing off the narrow entrance to their lot. Since I've never been there at night I have no idea if they actually close it at night. If the tow truck brought it there at night and the gate was closed, he would have to leave in the entrance way and drop the key in lock box, which I suppose is feasible, but could be awkward. So I had the car towed to my house first, called the mechanic in the morning, who said he's very busy. I ended up having it towed there a couple days later. So I've done that twice before, bringing home at night, figure out what to do, then having it brought to mechanic. Also since wife has CAA as well, we have plenty of service calls for the year.
That sounds like a broken tensioner or loose/broken pulley - and there's also the possibility that you have two or three things occurring. Thing is, all of them are cheap fixes. I suspect that your cat code is a leak in your exhaust system such that your upstream and downstream oxygen sensors are getting different readings so the ECM throws a code. It doesn't take much of an exhaust leak for a car to throw a cat code these days. In the old days, I used to use exhaust pipe tape when a car was near death's door.

Good luck.
Newbie
Dec 12, 2009
81 posts
47 upvotes
Guelph, ON
TG3857 wrote: Just for you. This is the shit right here. Highly recommend you use this brand.
That little exchange actually made me smile. Bravo!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 20, 2015
3803 posts
3191 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Just get one of these cars and put those ground effects as low as possible, with a Wing as HIGH as possible. Watch for speed bumps!
Image

A little confused on what's going on here... first the OP says "I'm not spending the money", now it's "being towed to the mechanic". Oh well, I guess it's a decision only they can make.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 12, 2007
18934 posts
6120 upvotes
London
TG3857 wrote: Good idea. I was going to see if mechanic wanted to take a look and then confirm later on but of course, there's a good chance he'll say don't bother.
I believe the tensioner and idler pulley are known problems on the fusion. The repair is cheap, however it sounds like you had a major overheat by driving around with no water pump so the cylinder head may have warped
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
2450 posts
1960 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
ES_Revenge wrote: While it's surprising you didn't know this, pretty sure every fluid in a car is not a good idea to ingest. Except maybe blinker fluid as I heard that comes in orange and raspberry flavours (depending on signal bulb colour) and is safe for human consumption ;)
I purchased a large quantity of washer fluid at a Walmart and the cashier asked what I was using it all for so I answered without hesitating “drinking it.” Her jaw dropped to the floor and she turned pale white…I told her I was joking and felt like I had to comfort her PTSD before walking away.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2007
4399 posts
1691 upvotes
Edmonton
l69norm wrote: I believe the tensioner and idler pulley are known problems on the fusion. The repair is cheap, however it sounds like you had a major overheat by driving around with no water pump so the cylinder head may have warped
Sounds like the OP is learning alot from this thread, like using kitty litter and the toxicity of coolant.
From OPs first post, sounds like he thinks the ford is supposed to make "clanging" sounds so he drove it for another half an hour. And the smoke he saw, yes that's normal, that's why he still drove for half an hour. Probably a very good chance of warping the head.

OP sounds like a genius
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2007
4399 posts
1691 upvotes
Edmonton
TG3857 wrote: Just for you. This is the shit right here. Highly recommend you use this brand.
Can you make me a video of how to use this?
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 4, 2016
91 posts
28 upvotes
Gibsons wrote: Just get one of these cars and put those ground effects as low as possible, with a Wing as HIGH as possible. Watch for speed bumps!
Image

A little confused on what's going on here... first the OP says "I'm not spending the money", now it's "being towed to the mechanic". Oh well, I guess it's a decision only they can make.
I said if it's like $200 I'll consider getting it fixed. And this is not an exact science. The more I learn from this thread, the more my opinion can change.
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 4, 2016
91 posts
28 upvotes
tmkf_patryk wrote: Sounds like the OP is learning alot from this thread, like using kitty litter and the toxicity of coolant.
From OPs first post, sounds like he thinks the ford is supposed to make "clanging" sounds so he drove it for another half an hour. And the smoke he saw, yes that's normal, that's why he still drove for half an hour. Probably a very good chance of warping the head.

OP sounds like a genius
A lot closer to a genius than you are, clearly. At what point did I say I drove it for half hour? I drove it down the road to a school which was basically a block away. Then I let it sit for half an hour so I could think about what to do, let it cool down, read some things on the internet, and then called CAA. Reading comprehension is hard for you apparently. You can't seem to let this go. You already established how dumb you are but you keep coming back to prove it some more. It's okay, we know! You're the guy that thinks it's a priority to look under the hood of a car I've just about written off instead of cleaning up a toxic spill that could kill someone's pet.

Actually, it seems like reading comprehension is hard for a couple people here, which is the norm on RFD as I've discovered. It's because of clowns like tmkf_patryk and others here that threads become toxic and just not worth participating in anymore. No time to deal with this crap while I got a 2 year old and 4 week old while also doing a lawn renovation as you can see from some of the pics. So to all that were decent people, thank you for the help. I now have a better understanding.

Will explain the situation to the mechanic and get his opinion and go from there. In the meantime, I did go test drive a used Venza and will go look at some Odysseys this week. My heart is set on getting the bigger vehicle but will keep my options open.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2007
4399 posts
1691 upvotes
Edmonton
TG3857 wrote: A lot closer to a genius than you are, clearly. At what point did I say I drove it for half hour? I drove it down the road to a school which was basically a block away. Then I let it sit for half an hour so I could think about what to do, let it cool down, read some things on the internet, and then called CAA....
Who knows how far you drove, but not only that, you also had it running when the CAA guy was there as you mentioned the CAA guy noticed it doesn't leak when off, but leaks when running, and then you started it a 3rd time to get it off the street. I mean if there wasn't any damage initially, why not start it a few more times eh? I'm sure that metal clanging is normal, it will go away. It just needs to wear in cause it's a new sound.

When can we expect another of these posts on your other car? I'll be sure to tune in....

I'm also still waiting for that video, I want to learn something
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 4, 2016
91 posts
28 upvotes
I guess I can just post a quick update here and not read any new posts in case it's the same couple of morons posting. It's exhausting have to deal with those trolls. Don't know how some of you do it.

Anyway, mechanic guessed from my description what some of you guys were saying - water pump. And of course that belt that came off. He said $500 at least. I'm in Oakville and this is a franchise shop if that matters. Regardless, he said not worth it. Plus I have that cat. converter thing going on, which would have to be inspected. I did after all get a weld repair to it like three years ago.

I did online quotes with about five scrap places and so far four responses. Two said $1,000 one said $500 and one said $650. I suspect the first two were auto replies as it was very quick. The third took like 10 minutes and next one 20 minutes. Some of the submission forms had a comment box where I described what the problem was and the mileage and having rust on the bottom of the car, etc. while others just asked for make and model. Now have to figure out the legitimacy of these places. I was actually expecting $200 to $250 like when my wife got rid of her old Jetta a few years back.

The mechanic himself said he can give $100 to $150. He also said I can bring it in if I want for him to confirm the repairs in person at no charge.
Member
Mar 7, 2010
371 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto
l69norm wrote: either trashed the serpentine belt or tensioner - no power steering = stiff steering, alternator= no charging or water pump=over heated
Very much agree here, this is exactly what I have though before even finishing reading the OP's narrative.
Antifreeze has wetted the serpentine belt and the belt has started slipping. With this, it made the power steering hard and car would start running rough as the belt and the belt tensioner became out of sync.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)