Expired Hot Deals

Antihistamines for up to 95% Less at Costco and Sams Club (USA)

  • Last Updated:
  • May 13th, 2019 2:41 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
2108 posts
1117 upvotes
Montreal

Antihistamines for up to 95% Less at Costco and Sams Club (USA)

I've been buying antihistamines at SDM and Amazon for prices ranging from $0.25-$0.85 per pill. I crossed into Plattsburgh on the weekend and found that prices are insanely lower at Sam's Club and Costco. When you're not a member, you can pay a 10% surcharge.

I paid $12 USD for 400 tablets of cetirizine (Reactine/Zyrtec) and $12 for 400 tablets of loratadine (Claritin). With the exchange rate, that comes out to $0.04 per pill for loratadine and cetirizine. Fexofenadine was $0.12 a pill.

So the next time your friend visits you from the States, you know what to ask for!

If anyone has hacks to get these delivered from the USA to Canada, please share below...

Also, these antihistamines last for 15+ years, despite the expiry date. Read: https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying- ... n-anything
Last edited by deal_king on May 13th, 2019 10:26 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Title edit
Best Deals: Star Alliance Silver without even flying= FREE
Fido CAN/USA Unlimited, CID/VM/SMS 2gb $33/month
3 Logitech X-230 Speakers (150% PM at Staples) = $13 each (I bought 3!)[/B]
Thread Summary
I like this deal because most of us know someone who is traveling to or coming back to the States. $30 and you have enough antihistamines to last you for 5 years.
20 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 28, 2008
3275 posts
4783 upvotes
Langley, BC
The overuse of the word "Hack" lately is unbearable.

Not sure how shopping in the USA instead of Canada is a "hack"...

Good deal though.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 15, 2015
1082 posts
1054 upvotes
Abbotsford
steven80 wrote: The overuse of the word "Hack" lately is unbearable.

Not sure how shopping in the USA instead of Canada is a "hack"...

Good deal though.
Also "UNPRECEDENTED" All due to the trumpian win
Member
Sep 25, 2010
232 posts
159 upvotes
You can also just go to costco and get generic Kirkland Cetirizine for relatively cheap. 200 Tablets for ~$15 I believe ($0.13 per tablet).
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35229 posts
21214 upvotes
Center of Universe
Cheaper to get a prescription for those with health coverage through work.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
2108 posts
1117 upvotes
Montreal
Sharpenel wrote: You can also just go to costco and get generic Kirkland Cetirizine for relatively cheap. 200 Tablets for ~$15 I believe ($0.13 per tablet).
That's 3x more expensive, but I get your point. I wanted to make people aware of the price differential because many of us wonder what is a good value to bring back from the States.
Best Deals: Star Alliance Silver without even flying= FREE
Fido CAN/USA Unlimited, CID/VM/SMS 2gb $33/month
3 Logitech X-230 Speakers (150% PM at Staples) = $13 each (I bought 3!)[/B]
Member
Sep 22, 2016
277 posts
539 upvotes
I've been doing this for a few years now, many OTC drugs can be had for cheap at US Costco and Sam's Club.
Used to get their generic Naproxen there for cheap when Aleve was just hitting the shelves here at stupid high prices,

I also like grabbing the multi-packs of their generic Flonase for allergy season.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 23, 2004
2715 posts
1713 upvotes
GVRD
deal_king wrote: That's 3x more expensive, but I get your point. I wanted to make people aware of the price differential because many of us wonder what is a good value to bring back from the States.
What to bring back from the US?

Regular price: Alcohol, gas, automotive parts, dairy products (not sure if they are better quality), drugs (generic or brand name)

I take a trip down to US every few weeks to fuel up, dozen of beers and blocks of cheese.

I think OTC drugs are slightly less in Canada due to government regulation compare to a wild west in the US.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 11, 2003
1014 posts
271 upvotes
Montreal
pkphilip wrote:
dozen of beers
Are you staying 24 hours or just going on the kindness of the border patrol people?
HOW CAN I BE GOING BROKE WHEN I'M SAVING SO MUCH MONEY!?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
2108 posts
1117 upvotes
Montreal
pkphilip wrote: What to bring back from the US?

Regular price: Alcohol, gas, automotive parts, dairy products (not sure if they are better quality), drugs (generic or brand name)

I take a trip down to US every few weeks to fuel up, dozen of beers and blocks of cheese.

I think OTC drugs are slightly less in Canada due to government regulation compare to a wild west in the US.
How long do you stay to buy all this? I thought you can't bring anything back if you stay less than 24 hours.

Though I've heard from several different people who make grocery day trip purchases often, is it actually allowed? Is there some lesser known exemption for groceries?
Best Deals: Star Alliance Silver without even flying= FREE
Fido CAN/USA Unlimited, CID/VM/SMS 2gb $33/month
3 Logitech X-230 Speakers (150% PM at Staples) = $13 each (I bought 3!)[/B]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 11, 2003
1014 posts
271 upvotes
Montreal
deal_king wrote: How long do you stay to buy all this? I thought you can't bring anything back if you stay less than 24 hours.

Though I've heard from several different people who make grocery day trip purchases often, is it actually allowed? Is there some lesser known exemption for groceries?
It all depends on who you get but I've never been hassled on my day grocery runs. However, I do not go often.

Just don't bring back alcohol and anything that's restricted ( surprisingly, Dog food) and don't go crazy and buy 500$ of groceries.

Just be upfront and honest and they'll usually let you slide on your Costco purchases.
HOW CAN I BE GOING BROKE WHEN I'M SAVING SO MUCH MONEY!?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
2108 posts
1117 upvotes
Montreal
sgmtl wrote: It all depends on who you get but I've never been hassled on my day grocery runs. However, I do not go often.

Just don't bring back alcohol and anything that's restricted ( surprisingly, Dog food) and don't go crazy and buy 500$ of groceries.

Just be upfront and honest and they'll usually let you slide on your Costco purchases.
Do you declare the groceries or not? I thought that if you declare anything for less than 24hr trip, they search your car. I declared a $13 watch strap once and they stopped and searched the car and told me there is no exemption for this time period.

How much $$ do you declare on your grocery runs?
Best Deals: Star Alliance Silver without even flying= FREE
Fido CAN/USA Unlimited, CID/VM/SMS 2gb $33/month
3 Logitech X-230 Speakers (150% PM at Staples) = $13 each (I bought 3!)[/B]
Member
May 22, 2015
240 posts
74 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Can I buy some from you if you have stocked more than you can swallow, I'm feeling itchy everywhere and hard to ask someone get it for me all the waySmirking Face.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 6, 2007
2522 posts
1546 upvotes
Niagara On The Lake
As a minimum once a week cross border shopper (I live in NOTL), my wife and I have never been checked when we declare all our goods. The trick is to roll down all your windows before you arrive at the booth and have all your receipts in hand. Answer the questions honestly and without hesitating. We have bought groceries and other goods and have never been charged. A case of beer or a bottle of wine is often overlooked due to low alcohol volume.
Come visit Niagara On The Lake
Voted Prettiest, Friendliest & Most Haunted town in Canada
Support local small business
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 11, 2003
1014 posts
271 upvotes
Montreal
deal_king wrote: Do you declare the groceries or not? I thought that if you declare anything for less than 24hr trip, they search your car. I declared a $13 watch strap once and they stopped and searched the car and told me there is no exemption for this time period.

How much $$ do you declare on your grocery runs?
Yes, I declare everything. And car searches are rare unless they think something is wrong/doesn't add up. You also probably got a hardass agent who's a stickler for the rules. I always have my receipts in hand, answer honestly and I've never had a problem.
HOW CAN I BE GOING BROKE WHEN I'M SAVING SO MUCH MONEY!?
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
2009 posts
1370 upvotes
Hamilton
just bought 365 Kirkland brand reactine for $10.99 - brought 3 of them back from the US.
I stockpile these, they're cheaper than my benefits covering the prescription.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 23, 2004
2715 posts
1713 upvotes
GVRD
sgmtl wrote:
Are you staying 24 hours or just going on the kindness of the border patrol people?
deal_king wrote:
How long do you stay to buy all this? I thought you can't bring anything back if you stay less than 24 hours.

Though I've heard from several different people who make grocery day trip purchases often, is it actually allowed? Is there some lesser known exemption for groceries?
deal_king wrote:
Do you declare the groceries or not? I thought that if you declare anything for less than 24hr trip, they search your car. I declared a $13 watch strap once and they stopped and searched the car and told me there is no exemption for this time period.

How much $$ do you declare on your grocery runs?
Legally speaking, all items obtained while outside of the country are subject to taxation less than 24 hours.

But I am in Vancouver and going to Belligham is about 45 min and Point Roberts is about 25 min. Costco is in Bellingham and that's where most of the people from Vancouver goes. It really depends on which boarder you go, the crossing in BC are quite busy all the time and it's a common understanding that people go across the border to shop and CBSA tends to let people go for under $200.

I have Nexus and I simply verbal declare the value of everything with receipts on hand. 99% of the time they just waved me by, but my personal limit is $200. If I have more than $200, I will take my wife or friend with me. When I get beer/wine, I told him I got a 6 pack in the trunk. Hard liquor is a totally different thing, I would not bring in unless I stay for 24 or more hours from duty free or I can have my Ameri-friend bring it over (WA liquor tax is charged by the liter, which is not much cheaper).

Keep in mind the CBSA officers are busy as well, they are not going to harass people and do a 15 min paper work for $5 worth of tax for a 6-pack. Since I have Nexus, there is no reason to risk losing the status to save a few bucks. As long as I am honest and be upfront, I haven't been taxed for quite a few years and each time I am bringing at least $50 in.

Grocery is fine to bring in and they are mostly tax-free. just to be safe, you have to check the CBSA site before hand for any disallowed items like certain type of vegetable/fruit etc.

The fx sucks these days so I mainly restrict my shopping to fuel and booze. I will definitely get tires and wheels from the US as they could be substatially cheaper for high-performance tires.

Top