• Last Updated:
  • May 24th, 2019 10:08 am
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 10, 2003
896 posts
326 upvotes

Ants - to bait or not to bait

I’ve started noticing some ants in my house. Nothing too extensive, just a few randoms here and there. I know it’s the beginning of the season and they are foraging for food. Should I lay down some ant bait or just eliminate the ones I see? My concern is that if I lay down the bait, I might get swarms of ants showing up but at the same time I’d like to kill the hive if possible.

Suggestions?
18 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19435 posts
22552 upvotes
GTA
DC5R wrote: I’ve started noticing some ants in my house. Nothing too extensive, just a few randoms here and there. I know it’s the beginning of the season and they are foraging for food. Should I lay down some ant bait or just eliminate the ones I see? My concern is that if I lay down the bait, I might get swarms of ants showing up but at the same time I’d like to kill the hive if possible.

Suggestions?
Bait
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
9131 posts
2032 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
The odd time we have had some ants getting in, we just squish them and after a day or two they are gone. If they keep coming or there are a lot, then bait. Figure out where they are headed and clean up. If you know where they are getting in and not easily sealed, then draw a chalk line. They don't cross chalk lines for whatever reason.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6574 posts
6048 upvotes
I'm in the same boat - I put down baits but I also found the source yesterday in the backyard....a HUGE ant colony in the lawn about 30 feet away from house.
[OP]
Nov 10, 2003
896 posts
326 upvotes
@hierophant - I just read your other post and, similar to you, my ant issue is in my living room which backs onto the backyard. Sadly, I don't see any signs of a large colony in my backyard, unless it is under my deck, which is highly possible.

I'm going to put out some bait in my backyard and hopefully this will attract the ants away from my house. I'll use some bait in the house the next day. Hopefully this is a one off issue :(
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11946 posts
7118 upvotes
Paris
DC5R wrote: @hierophant - I just read your other post and, similar to you, my ant issue is in my living room which backs onto the backyard. Sadly, I don't see any signs of a large colony in my backyard, unless it is under my deck, which is highly possible.

I'm going to put out some bait in my backyard and hopefully this will attract the ants away from my house. I'll use some bait in the house the next day. Hopefully this is a one off issue :(
If you bait you will quickly know where they are coming from and can move it outside. Plus if you bait, they will be dead in a week anyway
[OP]
Nov 10, 2003
896 posts
326 upvotes
OK. I laid some Terro bait inside the house where the ants were seen but, strangely, none of the bait has attracted any of the ants. I've watched a couple ants near the bait and they don't seem interested as all. Any suggestions?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
864 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
DC5R wrote: OK. I laid some Terro bait inside the house where the ants were seen but, strangely, none of the bait has attracted any of the ants. I've watched a couple ants near the bait and they don't seem interested as all. Any suggestions?
When ant larvae (?) are developing they go through stages of growth that require different foods, therefore one bait will work for a while and then you will have to switch to another.
Your best bet is to put down at least 3 or 4 different types at one time.
Don't waste your time killing them by stepping on them. You want them to take the bait back to their colony.
And if you suspect they are coming in from outside, put some baits out there too.

I had an infestation that took several months to finally eliminate. I used liquid drops, TERRO, ant powder, the round traps that have holes in them and a BORAX mixture.
You have to be persistent. Keep up the pressure on them, and always have several types of baits down.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12812 posts
2915 upvotes
Toronto
Find the opening where they're coming in. Put bait right there at the opening.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
1159 posts
599 upvotes
Toronto/Plano/Atlant…
DC5R wrote: OK. I laid some Terro bait inside the house where the ants were seen but, strangely, none of the bait has attracted any of the ants. I've watched a couple ants near the bait and they don't seem interested as all. Any suggestions?
Advion gel is very good.
Jan 15, 2018
187 posts
173 upvotes
Me too, I have ants coming in the house every spring. Last year they were coming in through a small hole in the bottom rail of the patio door, I sprayed with Orthos's Ant B Gone and that did it. I still baited around the house with borax ant traps and I had no more issues for the season. This year they were coming through the baseboards on the southern side of the house, again I sprayed with the same thing and it stopped their invasion. It works like a charm, I guess the residue that it leaves creates a scent barrier because as soon as I spray it you can see them scrambling to avoid it.
I would still bait just in case they come in through another opening.
Images
  • upload.png
Deal Fanatic
Oct 18, 2004
5205 posts
1684 upvotes
Wat
I had an ant problem last month.. I used 3 parts sugar, 1 part borax and let them feast. After 1 day 90% of the ants were gone. After 2 days they were all gone.
Nov 12, 2012
143 posts
136 upvotes
BINBROOK
I used those Terro liquid traps. Worked like a charm so far. I have never seen so many ants, and 3 days later have not seen any more. Im sure its not the end, but its a nice start.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5028 posts
1577 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ZxExN wrote: Had a carpenter ant problem and went with the terro wet ant bait and it killed them all within 4 days. I just stakes them outside the house where they were coming in from and problem solved.

http://www.terro.com/terro-outdoor-liqu ... ait-stakes
How do you identify where they were entering the house from? Is there a better way besides trying to see a line of ants on the exterior bricks?

Also for the terro baits, i can see one trail in the house, but it's along the join between ceiling and wall, so can I just tape the baits to the wall (most reference images show the bait stations just placed on the floor)?
"Buy now, think later. This is the way."
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2005
1849 posts
1434 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
For me it was obvious as they were coming through the tiny cracks in the basement window so I just placed the bait directly outside. For you, you might need a slightly different version of the bait so it can just sit on the floor in addition to the outside grounf stake. Its really inexpensive so muvh buy afew different types.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6574 posts
6048 upvotes
I put 2 Terro liquid baits indoors - nothing. I put 4 outside - baits all gone. I've replaced the baits because I read somewhere it can take up to 5-6 weeks and I have HUGE colony.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2005
1849 posts
1434 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
hierophant wrote: I put 2 Terro liquid baits indoors - nothing. I put 4 outside - baits all gone. I've replaced the baits because I read somewhere it can take up to 5-6 weeks and I have HUGE colony.
Mine was gone after 3 days and then they came back a week later and then died off again 2 days after that. 5-6 weeks seems very long.