Home & Garden

Ants on lawn...How to get rid of them while saving the lawn?

• Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2020 4:21 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
4230 posts
1091 upvotes
West Side GTA

Ants on lawn...How to get rid of them while saving the lawn?

I've been doing some research on how to get rid of these ants I have on my lawn. I can't seem to locate the hill but there are easily hundreds of them (at least yesterday). Normally, I would just find the hill and use boiling water but I don't want to kill my lawn either in that area. What products have you guys used in the past to get rid of these pests? I'm thinking borax and sugar in a plastic container?

Suggestions would be appreciated.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1441 posts
249 upvotes
Grimsby
Just yesterday on my walk I saw a home that had placed those little round ant deterrents out on the lawn. A cheap solution perhaps?
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1392 posts
813 upvotes
ottawa
-=phelan=- wrote: I've been doing some research on how to get rid of these ants I have on my lawn. I can't seem to locate the hill but there are easily hundreds of them (at least yesterday). Normally, I would just find the hill and use boiling water but I don't want to kill my lawn either in that area. What products have you guys used in the past to get rid of these pests? I'm thinking borax and sugar in a plastic container?

Suggestions would be appreciated.
I created a mixture of borax and peanut button and borax and sugar water soaked into a cotton ball, then placed those around the hill and covered with a bucket for a day to prevent animals from eating it. Worked great they're all dead.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4334 posts
2232 upvotes
Pound a piece of 1" steel pipe into the hill when you find it, pull the pipe out and remove contents, stick the pipe back in, pour some gasoline into the pipe, pull the pipe out, set it ablaze. Saves the grass.
Feb 23, 2012
7 posts
1 upvote
TORONTO
+1 on the diatomaceous earth thing.. I'd pile it on all holes.. though I doubt it will be effective without knowing the nest location, which is one of the issues per OP.
Hence, I'll be captain obvious and say, try to locate the nest..
I assume it's those small black ones that are everywhere ?
e.g. I was standing on my lawn one day, in an apparently perfectly normal spot, and suddenly I see lots of ants coming out..
so sometimes the nest doesn't stand out in any visible way, it's just holes in the ground.
( and as I tried to control one nest by digging it out, they can be damn deep, as much as 2 feet, and who knows how much deeper )
So perhaps try to mow the grass as short as you can, and look for ants concentrations / try to provoke them to have an "alarm", then attack the entrance holes.
Even though it's not likely to get rid of ants completely ( resilient little buggers, they may just migrate / shift the nest / come from another nest and establish a new one ), population reduction and nest disruption is also good.
Mar 1, 2020
804 posts
210 upvotes
GTA West
Sorry to revive an old thread but since my topic/question is similar I thought of asking:

a) similar to OP, if I just poured boiling water on an area in soil where lots of ants came out, will this be ok/good enough? I cant seem to find their nest... I've dug around 2-3 inches deep and don't see much point... If I put/spray ant killer I might just be wasting $?

B) I know this is silly but can black ants actually be completely eliminated? I noticed there's spots always in my lawn where some come out, can't seem to completely eliminate them. Every year or two is a different location... I don't even know how they go in there, nature, I guess...

C) is it really a concern to have these black ants when I weed? I chanced upon them today as I pulled out a few weeds using the fiskar weed puller which created a hole and let all these ants out)...

Many thanks
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7884 posts
4522 upvotes
Alberta
Owbist wrote: Just yesterday on my walk I saw a home that had placed those little round ant deterrents out on the lawn. A cheap solution perhaps?
I bought some of these, never seen a single ant go in or near one. AFAIK, these things don't work.
barqers wrote:
I created a mixture of borax and peanut button and borax and sugar water soaked into a cotton ball, then placed those around the hill and covered with a bucket for a day to prevent animals from eating it. Worked great they're all dead.
Borax and sugar mixture is the best. I use it with cotton balls or just put some in a plastic milk container cap.
May 15, 2020
121 posts
73 upvotes
Thornhill ON
You probably do not want totally eliminate ants in the backyard as they are part of the yard ecosystem. Push them back from the house,yes.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10683 posts
5987 upvotes
Paris
Terro outdoor baits. They are just boric acid but much easier to use than DIY boric acid boats which require more maintenance
Banned
Nov 17, 2014
942 posts
755 upvotes
Ontario
Momentix wrote: You probably do not want totally eliminate ants in the backyard as they are part of the yard ecosystem. Push them back from the house,yes.
On this forum it's generally agreed upon that you eliminate anything and everything on your property, and then spray some chemicals on your lawn so you have a mono-culture of grass to impress everyone. Ecosystem you say? Who cares!
May 15, 2020
121 posts
73 upvotes
Thornhill ON
Sure, but I mean if you break the foodchain - who knows what kind of other problem that may cause, like infestation by some other nasty worms or bugs, soil aeration becoming poor, monkeys not being able to find their favourite snack anymore, etc.

Edit: I, for one, do not completely get rid of spiders in my basement, because they tend to stay on guard around the basement window and catch any insects who is trying to penetrate the perimeter through or around the window area. They do a good job.