Tags:
[OP]
Aug 16, 2014
60 posts
8 upvotes
Regina, SK

Any 3gb plans out there?

Hi,

I am looking to switch a parent to a standalone plan from our current shared plan. Sasktel, once a very affordable provider, is no longer such. As a result we are paying almost $90 each to share 30gb whereas my parent may use 1-3gb max.

I'm looking at Virgin Mobile, Fido and Koodo but as far as I can see, the lowest they offer is 5gb for $50. Are there any better deals out there? Anything lower than $50/month and something around 1-3 gb Data? Would it be a good idea to contact these low cost carriers and see about any current promotions?

Thanks in advance.

PS: She would be bringing her own phone so it would be a BYOD plan.
17 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19396 posts
7515 upvotes
Toronto
Check out the zoomer mobile (Rogers) thread in the ongoing deals forum.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet, $5/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
17416 posts
7254 upvotes
Oakville
Does your parent need full speed LTE? If not, Lucky or Public Mobile both have $40/4.5gb or $35 1.5gb plans (with a bonus 500mb if you turn on autopay) at 3mbps-capped LTE speeds. IMO Lucky is better for parents, as they have actual phone support vs forum-only support, and also have unlimited 128 kbps if you go over your data allowance.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2641 posts
386 upvotes
Toronto
My dad is on the 1gb 25$ plan on lucky. He's happy he has internet. Says YouTube works fine.

Averages about 600mb a month which is perfect for him.
May 11, 2014
29 posts
4 upvotes
Alberta
-public mobile (telus system) has 4.5 gigs for $40. says at 3G speed, but i'm paying $24 for 1.5 gigs and most of the time i connect at 4G - save an extra dollar a month by having a credit card to autopay each month - and another dollar after a few months for being a good customer

-speakout 7/11 (rogers system) has 3 gigs for $45. i was with them for a number of years (paying $35 for 200mb) - and about every 3 months they have an offer, where you can pay $100 and get a bonus $25 added to your account. i've never seen a limit to this, so if you don't mind prepaying a few months at a time - you can significantly reduce the amount you are paying (basically get 2 free months each year). they also have deals on phones (like right now - they have one for $50 - they're usually cheap, but work in a pinch)

both are pay as you go so you aren't locked into any plan - and bring your own phone. i heard speakout was offering $25 for 3 gigs at christmas - if they had that last year, i never would have switched.

if you're real cheap (errr money conscious) - my brother is paying something like $15 for 3 gigs (on a data only plan - not sure of the provider) and using the Fongo app. he's happy with it and tries to talk everyone into it. i've had bad experiences with voip services so i've avoided it myself.

freedom mobile (shaw) has had some good prices at the holidays (not at the moment though) - all 4g plans
Feb 28, 2012
849 posts
1046 upvotes
johnable wrote: freedom mobile (shaw) has had some good prices at the holidays (not at the moment though) - all 4g plans
Freedom currently has a Prepaid Nationwide 3GB plan for $29, but OP's need seems to be in Sask.
(1GB on-network bonus, 12-mo $5 credit, in-store activation)
Apr 25, 2019
188 posts
230 upvotes
How about Lucky Mobile? They have a promo plan for $35 for 2 GB high speed data, and unlimited throttled data after up to 128 Kbps, or for an extra $5, you can get 5 GB of high speed data. I have been with Lucky almost a year, and have no complaints. I pay $25 for Unlimited Canada calling, international text, and 3.5 GB high speed data.
Lucky Mobile 3.5 GB $25
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
17416 posts
7254 upvotes
Oakville
johnable wrote: -public mobile (telus system) has 4.5 gigs for $40. says at 3G speed, but i'm paying $24 for 1.5 gigs and most of the time i connect at 4G - save an extra dollar a month by having a credit card to autopay each month - and another dollar after a few months for being a good customer
That's the thing with Public Mobile's "3G Speed" plans - it's still LTE, so you have all the benefits of LTE latency (which is the biggest kicker with 3G), you're just limited to 3Mbps download speeds. But for the vast majority of usage cases, that's totally fine.
May 11, 2014
29 posts
4 upvotes
Alberta
LeifS39303 wrote: How about Lucky Mobile? They have a promo plan for $35 for 2 GB high speed data, and unlimited throttled data after up to 128 Kbps, or for an extra $5, you can get 5 GB of high speed data. I have been with Lucky almost a year, and have no complaints. I pay $25 for Unlimited Canada calling, international text, and 3.5 GB high speed data.
that is a great deal! even at $35 its a good price and the bell system has most people covered too. for those of us working up north in remote locations though, telus has a little better coverage, for now.
Nov 30, 2018
24 posts
4 upvotes
Does Lucky connect to 4G same as Public and get same latency benefit?
Aug 11, 2018
691 posts
551 upvotes
AzNCrAzYcOoLeR wrote: My dad is on the 1gb 25$ plan on lucky. He's happy he has internet. Says YouTube works fine.

Averages about 600mb a month which is perfect for him.
when i was with public mobile last year, i streamed the nba finals with no lag 720p (tsn and sportsnet apps on my phone). i was actually surprised it worked as well as it did.
Dec 4, 2017
501 posts
208 upvotes
Rstamp wrote: Does Lucky connect to 4G same as Public and get same latency benefit?
Yes. And when you run out of the LTE allotment, it keeps going at 2G speed, unlimited. I think that the latter is unique among the 3rd-tier service providers.
Apr 25, 2019
188 posts
230 upvotes
IanBrantford wrote: Yes. And when you run out of the LTE allotment, it keeps going at 2G speed, unlimited. I think that the latter is unique among the 3rd-tier service providers.
Yes, except Public Mobile doesn't have unlimited throttled data. Chatr and Lucky Mobile does. Only difference is that Chatr throttles at 64 Kbps and Lucky throttles at 128 Kbps after the 3G speed allotment.
Lucky Mobile 3.5 GB $25
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
17416 posts
7254 upvotes
Oakville
LeifS39303 wrote: Yes, except Public Mobile doesn't have unlimited throttled data. Chatr and Lucky Mobile does. Only difference is that Chatr throttles at 64 Kbps and Lucky throttles at 128 Kbps after the 3G speed allotment.
Did Chatr finally upgrade to speed-limited LTE for their accounts? Last I checked, they were still *actual* 3G.